Ambulance Service Recruitment Age Poll

St John Ambulance (6DS), AMS, RFDS etc. Frequencies, callsigns and discussion.

Moderator: Infernal

How old were you when your were recruited into a Ambulance Service

Poll ended at Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:41 pm

18-20
14%
21-25
36%
26-30
21%
31-35
21%
36-40
No votes
41-45
No votes
46+
7%

Total votes: 14

Kyle
150+ posts
150+ posts

Ambulance Service Recruitment Age Poll

Post by Kyle »

This poll has been setup for 30 days to find out the average age of Ambulance Recruits.
O.O
I exclude all liability to any person arising directly or indirectly from using this site and any information or material available from it.
ZO100_marto
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by ZO100_marto »

Isn't the minimum age 21? or have things changed?
Are you talking Paid or Volunteer?
Formally ZO100, now KG100 :D
ubc 72xlt...ubc 60xlt...uh015sx
Kyle
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Kyle »

ZO100_marto wrote:Isn't the minimum age 21? or have things changed?
Are you talking Paid or Volunteer?
Hi ZO100 I'm referring to Ambulance Services across Australia not just SJA. Ambulance Recruits meaning paid /trainees.
O.O
I exclude all liability to any person arising directly or indirectly from using this site and any information or material available from it.
Markmywords

Post by Markmywords »

ZO100_marto

i always thought it was 21 as well but now i think they call it "Must have life experience" instead.
Kyle
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Kyle »

Markmywords wrote:ZO100_marto

i always thought it was 21 as well but now i think they call it "Must have life experience" instead.
Most services require you to have life experience and be age 21. However I must be fair and include all ages in the Poll..

The interesting thing is we so far have 1 poll for 18-20 so the 21 age limit must not always apply.
O.O
Infernal
Scanners and Receivers: Uniden UBC60XLT

Post by Infernal »

I joined as a Volly at age 19, 1 month before the new system was put in place you must be Over 21 for insurance purposes, while driving SJA vehicles.

I was not allowed to Drive a SJA vehicle after that until i reached 21

Paramedics, yes 3 years Life experance
canon
Banned

Post by canon »

AO11912 wrote:I joined as a Volly at age 19, 1 month before the new system was put in place you must be Over 21 for insurance purposes, while driving SJA vehicles.

I was not allowed to Drive a SJA vehicle after that until i reached 21

Paramedics, yes 3 years Life experance
What does that actually mean. 3 years life experience lol. i can say i have travelled for 10 years and helped poor people in many countries . will they take my word on that. I think if you are below the age of 25 you need to have some evidence of life experience too as in your case you had some volley experience but did you have to hand in any log books as evidence of what you have had to deal with? I think SJA arent far from getting it right with the way they select people, just need to get rid of the old school way in some cases and stop being so zenophobic. :D
truth is stranger than fiction. Its better to tell the truth and accept your destiny than to BS your way through and have a lonely life.
SJANT
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by SJANT »

I was 21 when i was accepted in SJA NT. As far as i know i'm the youngest full time Ambulance Officer/Student Paramedic in the service. There is a casual in northern region who is younger i think though.

Sort of helped i had 7 years previous SJA service with some of it in management position as well as being a RN too.
Weedmeister

Post by Weedmeister »

G'day all,
joined the ambo service when I was 21. I think it was back about 1990-95, when the once 21 and over only policy was changes for vols in WA. The paid side was always 21, though it is supposed to be candidates who have life experience (bit like saying having commons sense). And it was in line with most other ambulance services across Australia when the authoriy of ambulance services australia had meetings about such things like that. Now it's harder to recruit and hence 21 has been lowered. Struggling fulltime service and volunteer recruitment has been the main reason.
Grrrrrr.
Para

Post by Para »

STANT -

How old are you? Im Northern region and was qualified Para at 25.

Interesting.
Reevesy

Post by Reevesy »

What defines "life experience?" Does it mean you to have seen someone die? Does it mean you have to have helped treated refugees at an African Refugee camp? Does it mean you have to have broken your own leg before you can treat a patient for a broken leg? I am just asking because the defintion of Life Experience is different for each person. Some think they have it, when they dont. Others think they dont, when they do.
Cheers. Reevesy
SJANT
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by SJANT »

Life experience doesn't mean you have to have seen someone die. It's more of have an experience of the highs and lows that life can throw at you and personally i think more of an ability to cope with these natural highs and lows of life. It's not any set criteria but they like to see that you've been outside of the comfort zone every now and again and not done the same old thing for your entire life. Basically you've been out in the big bad world and experience life.

In addressing para's questions i'm still a student and am between the ages of 21-25. Don't want to give away too much in regards to the other questions as i enjoy a bit of anomimity. I'm guessing your at cas a while ago hence the pics of 07 and 86. Plus that's 07 probably before it had more strips put on the bonnet.