Pre-Hospital Questions & Resources

St John Ambulance (6DS), AMS, RFDS etc. Frequencies, callsigns and discussion.

Moderator: Infernal

Kyle
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Kyle »

WPXZBP wrote:
Kyle wrote:SFAWH (Society for Anti-Workplace Harassment).
SFHSAS (Society for High Standard Ambulance Services)
SFFOSTIO (Society for Freedom of Speech, Thoughts, Ideas & Opinions)
I reckon no such organisations exist.
I know I can keep dreaming though!!! :smt051
O.O
I exclude all liability to any person arising directly or indirectly from using this site and any information or material available from it.
Kyle
150+ posts
150+ posts

VCU Medical Centre Documentary

Post by Kyle »

VCU Medical Center Documentary - a interesting documentary worth watching. Insights include, ED, Ambulance & AirMed.

“VCU Medical Center: VCU Trauma Centerâ€
O.O
I exclude all liability to any person arising directly or indirectly from using this site and any information or material available from it.
Ambul8
150+ posts
150+ posts

Re: Safe Operation of Stretchers

Post by Ambul8 »

Kyle wrote:Stretchers

I have noticed a newer model stretcher being used by the mainstream service the Ferno 50 easy loader while visiting a nurse at Charles. I was taught how to use a older model Ferno Washington stretcher [the non hydraulic one] while on the job in a service however have not been fortunate enough to try out this new series.

It would be great if anyone has a safe operation and lifting guide, common mistakes, warnings for the Ferno 50 easy loader & prior in service series if you could post it up on the forum. This would make a great addition to this thread.

:smt024
These are being phased in to the WAAS. Look for the fluro yellow legs! They are known as the Ferno 50E. Exactly the same litter as the Ferno 50, just a different stretcher undercarriage. Also has hydralic lift assist on the head section of the stretcher.

Much better to use, in comparison to FW50
Ambul8 - if u break urself i'll fix u! Maybe...
ImageImage
Markmywords

Post by Markmywords »

Wow looking at one website 6 months external studies and between 3 to 6 weeks in the classroom and some log book clinicals and you can become a paramedic..dont know how good you would be though haha

Plus paying a fee every year to "re certify" seems like a money making scam to me.
Kyle
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Kyle »

Markmywords wrote:Wow looking at one website 6 months external studies and between 3 to 6 weeks in the classroom and some log book clinicals and you can become a paramedic..dont know how good you would be though haha

Plus paying a fee every year to "re certify" seems like a money making scam to me.
The Degrees through QUT, CSU & Flinders seem to have a internship run in conjunction with a Service. CSU offers Trainee Ambulance Officers the ability to study over 4.5 years distance education while the Ambulance Service they work for is responsible for ensuring compliance of clinical hours. Plus ED can assist in development of skills.

For example a Cert4 at Tafe normally is run over a duration of 1yr. When you fast track a study over half that time you could possibly loose that Quality and exposure to the topic required to become competent.
Last edited by Kyle on Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
O.O
Markmywords

Post by Markmywords »

I wonder how the RTA would feel if they found out that the training organisation would fail anyone who worked for another ambulance service or anyone in competition with themselves ;)

Sounds like two companies have one hand in the others pockets.
Last edited by Markmywords on Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kyle
150+ posts
150+ posts

Lifepak 12 ECG

Post by Kyle »

Lifepak 12 ECG introduction / overview video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDEF1qgT ... re=related
O.O
Kyle
150+ posts
150+ posts

Placement of 12 Lead ECG

Post by Kyle »

O.O
Markmywords

Post by Markmywords »

Lifepacks are a good defib a lil bit bulk to carry around in the field but a nice unit in the back of a MICA truck with spo2/nibp/end tidal co2.
Kyle
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Kyle »

Markmywords wrote:Lifepacks are a good defib a lil bit bulk to carry around in the field but a nice unit in the back of a MICA truck with spo2/nibp/end tidal co2.
If you have a Lifepak 12 on board a Ambulance it shows that the Service values on going improvements in patient care and diagnostics.. :wink:

All the leading states in Medical Care use them.. Ive seen them in EDs across Perth as well..
O.O
PFO
Banned

Post by PFO »

yeah its good to have great equipment, but dont forget kyle, treat the patient first . At the end of the day ,having a three lead with the capacity to pace and end tidalC02 is sufficient. Sometimes people have too many gadgets and focus on them without realising that their gcs has dropped or skin colour has changed ETC and are lulled into a false sense of security.
gcs of 3
Markmywords

Post by Markmywords »

yes its like having a monoitor go "check patient check patient" when there sitting up right and talking away.....lol
Kyle
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Kyle »

PFO wrote:yeah its good to have great equipment, but dont forget kyle, treat the patient first . At the end of the day ,having a three lead with the capacity to pace and end tidalC02 is sufficient. Sometimes people have too many gadgets and focus on them without realising that their gcs has dropped or skin colour has changed ETC and are lulled into a false sense of security.
True, I only ever used a 3 lead ECG myself semi-automatic Defibrillator. I have used AED a fair bit. They are getting very compact these days.
A good understanding of the signs of symptoms of conditions you could treat is elementary.. However I still like to know about all the equipment on the Ambulance. Good to know whats on a rig.. (-:
Last edited by Kyle on Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
O.O
Markmywords

Post by Markmywords »

very eager kyle to learn thats good :D im sure you will get some hands on experience soon ;)

My problem with people running "lets be a parmedic course in 6 months" is that its all theroy and some so called "clinical" work and not being exposed to it over a period of time wont make anyone a good paramedic.

Anyone can read and pass a course if its all just exams if you cant put it into practice then your just as good as an observer :) haha

SJA prob still has the same "face dont fits your not coming in mentality" im happy to be corrected on that if its not true :p
Kyle
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Kyle »

Markmywords wrote:very eager kyle to learn thats good :D im sure you will get some hands on experience soon ;)

My problem with people running "lets be a parmedic course in 6 months" is that its all theroy and some so called "clinical" work and not being exposed to it over a period of time wont make anyone a good paramedic.

Anyone can read and pass a course if its all just exams if you cant put it into practice then your just as good as an observer :) haha

SJA prob still has the same "face dont fits your not coming in mentality" im happy to be corrected on that if its not true :p
With Uni like QUT & CSU this seems to be changing where they combine 3+ years of education, in class practicum with clinical practicum with a Ambulance Service & tutorials. I think they are the only safe option apart from the Traineeships the Ambulance Services Offer.

With the 60's generation heading towards retirement they believe the demand for pre-hospital care will grow at Alarming Rate. If SJA don't step up other services will also.. Also providing alternative pathways for those that don't fit the SJA mold. :wink:
Last edited by Kyle on Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
O.O