Operations Centre - Dispatch Console

St John Ambulance (6DS), AMS, RFDS etc. Frequencies, callsigns and discussion.

Moderator: Infernal

Ambul8
150+ posts
150+ posts

Operations Centre - Dispatch Console

Post by Ambul8 »

Was browsing the SJA Annual Report and came across this pic of the Disptach Console.

Ill explain the bits and bobs (apologies if this has been done before):

LEFT MONITOR
This is the AVL (automatic vehicle location) screen. As the Op clicks a job, it zooms on the location of the job and displays the closest 10 ambulances, by as the crow flies distance only. The display of the ambulances is colour coded as to their status (ie 79, 80, 81, 82, 83). From memory it updates very 15-30 seconds. The op can zoom in and out and scroll the map which shows all of WA, but is only used for metro dispatch. Basically the call of who to send is based on the local knowledge of the Op and the time based on where the crews are.
MIDDLE MONITOR
This is the Job List, it shows the status of each crew, ie: acknowledged, mobile, 79, 80, 81, 82, when the crews 83 (ie back at station), they are moved off this screen and go back to the ‘crews in depot’ list on another screen. The red line across the screen indicates a crew going to hospital on a Priority 1. The grey lines are groupings based on Transport, Ambulance and Country resources
RIGHT MONITOR
On the very left is the ‘crews in depot’ list which shows crews on duty and who is in the depot. It also shows the amount of time a crew has been in the depot since the last job (or if they are lucky since the start of shift). Next to this is the control panel. Under the control panel is the ‘jobs waiting list’. In this list pending jobs are colour coded: Priority 1 – Red, Priority 2 – Yellow, Priority 3,4,5 – Blue, Priority 7 – White (this is a job on hold). As you can see no pending 1’s or 2’s. A quiet moment. The yellow and black section is the CLI (caller line identification) feed from Telstra 000.
BOTTOM SCREEN
This is the touch screen that controls the DX64 radio system. All functions are touch: selcall, turn radio bases on and off, radio transmit idents appear here, volume controls etc. This is also where the dispatcher switches between Metro UHF Ambulance Network, Metro UHF Transport Network, or the VHF Country Network. They stay on the Metro channel, but VHF is monitored by pop up window.
THE PANEL YOU CANT SEE WELL
Is the older omnitronics manual system, that is used in the event of a DX64 failure. It is all manual pushbutton work and only used rarely.

CANT GET THIS PIC THING TO WORK
Ambul8 - if u break urself i'll fix u! Maybe...
ImageImage
Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Operations Centre - Dispatch Console

Post by Admin »

Hi Ambul8.

Use the first set of forum codes imageshack gives you for this forum software.
Bonez

Post by Bonez »

Hi Ambul8,

Thanks heaps for the insight. Very interesting stuff indeed!

Well done
donks
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by donks »

Bonez wrote:Hi Ambul8,

Thanks heaps for the insight. Very interesting stuff indeed!

Well done
ditto mate.. SJA is something in which i have NO idea on how it works.. Thanks for the explaination!

cheers
People call me an "Egotistic Jackass"... I prefer the term "Confident Donkey" --->Donks for short
Tyranus
Amateur callsign: VK6FWDH
Scanners and Receivers: UBC93XLT

Post by Tyranus »

I work in a call centre but that's a more interesting call centre :P Now I just need to learn the codes well the ones I hear more often anyway.
Stirling SES
Team Leader (Stirling 53)
Vertical Rescue Team Member
K9 7 Support

VK6FWDH
ex-Darlington FB
WARSUG Demi-God I mean Mod
If stupidity got me into this mess, why can't it get me out.
ZO100_marto
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by ZO100_marto »

Does Bill know he's a star on WARSUG :wink:
Formally ZO100, now KG100 :D
ubc 72xlt...ubc 60xlt...uh015sx
Ambul8
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Ambul8 »

bill is just a star full stop.
ImageImage
munchkin1981
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by munchkin1981 »

dont know if he know he is on here but he knows he is everywhere else :P a;tho the old pic of nicky was just as good
It wasn't me honest.....it was the cat I'm sweet and innocent one :)
gkoutlis

Post by gkoutlis »

If i may, I've been often at Ozzie Park depo - when picking up a VFAS vehicle - usually if there is a job that comes through - there is like a alarm that beeps 3 Times (via PA) - "Priority 1 pending in Osborne Park" (example)...

So does those 3 buttons - the Red, Yellow etc trigger the notification via the depos PA system?
Ambul8
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Ambul8 »

gkoutlis wrote:If i may, I've been often at Ozzie Park depo - when picking up a VFAS vehicle - usually if there is a job that comes through - there is like a alarm that beeps 3 Times (via PA) - "Priority 1 pending in Osborne Park" (example)...

So does those 3 buttons - the Red, Yellow etc trigger the notification via the depos PA system?
If your in the depot wat you are hearing is the selcall, which would go something like this: "beep beep beep beep beep beep - Osborne park depot, osborne park 21, Priority 1" this is set off by selecting the depot from the selcall menu on the DX64 console. This may beep only 3 times, as operators often dont leave the selcall to operate long euff before pressing the PTT button and speaking - usually when its busy. Any less than 3 beeps and i'd sleep right through it. Although the older "da da da daaa" selcall was a different story. Scared the life out of me every time...

As opposed to the general priority 1 broadcast "beeeeeeppppppp priority 1 pending beaconsfield" which is just an "alert tone" broadcast over radio. This should elicit a response from nearby crews - Ie: "Cockburn 21, we are smith street in beaconsfield" which doesn't always happen. this is a button press on the touchscreen DX64 console.

The red, orange and green button u see next to the DX74 console are the buttons that allow the operators headset to be connected to: DX64 radio audio/mic, backup radio audio/mic, or the telephone audio/mic.
ImageImage
gkoutlis

Post by gkoutlis »

thanks for clearing that up Ambul8 - makes much more sense now ;)
Markmywords

Post by Markmywords »

Have they changed the selcal tone in the depots ?

the old daa daa daa was good more so when someone decided to turn it up full on night shift and you were asleep.
Ambul8
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Ambul8 »

Markmywords wrote:Have they changed the selcal tone in the depots ?

the old daa daa daa was good more so when someone decided to turn it up full on night shift and you were asleep.
tis a much more subtle beep beep beep for the new age more sensitive ambos
ImageImage
slipknot
150+ posts
150+ posts
Scanners and Receivers: Yaesu FT-857 Yaesu FT7800 Icom ID800H

ambul8

Post by slipknot »

ambul8, thanks for that mate, just wanted to put my thanks in as well, ive been puaaling myself as to how it works. must say , thats a legandary radio system they have to save lifes with.

do you happen to know which report it was?
Always RX

Post by Always RX »

Thanks for that Ambul8 ..very interesting. I like your signature pic too mate.