SJA Landcruiser siren...

St John Ambulance (6DS), AMS, RFDS etc. Frequencies, callsigns and discussion.

Moderator: Infernal

donks
150+ posts
150+ posts

SJA Landcruiser siren...

Post by donks »

I was driving past PMH on Wed night when i saw some flashing lights in the distance coming towards me... The siren was the same as a police car, yet when the vehicle went by me it was one of the team leader landcruisers...

I can recognise the different sirens and this was deffinately the same as Police...

anyone able to explain why they dont use the same siren thats fitted to normal ambulances???
People call me an "Egotistic Jackass"... I prefer the term "Confident Donkey" --->Donks for short
Tyranus
Amateur callsign: VK6FWDH
Scanners and Receivers: UBC93XLT

Post by Tyranus »

Probably no reason but I know that if I was driving Stirling 03 I'd just use the Mix or police siren, it has an old siren box with twist knob to change between wail, mix, yelp...and better yet has a pull over button which just goes weeoooo. My guess is that that's the go...was the lightbar etc new? may be related to the siren box.
Stirling SES
Team Leader (Stirling 53)
Vertical Rescue Team Member
K9 7 Support

VK6FWDH
ex-Darlington FB
WARSUG Demi-God I mean Mod
If stupidity got me into this mess, why can't it get me out.
Millsy

Post by Millsy »

Or it could just be a Sirenco siren ?
jmmw
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by jmmw »

Millsy wrote:Or it could just be a Sirenco siren ?
Simplest answer. Pure genious.
Markmywords

Post by Markmywords »

Donks the siren thats on the ambulances is from omnitronics and is part of the ambulance control panel hence why they use just what ever sirenco supply as such. Ive heard different police cars with different sirens as well so im guessing there isnt just the one siren for all.
donks
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by donks »

Markmywords wrote:Donks the siren thats on the ambulances is from omnitronics and is part of the ambulance control panel hence why they use just what ever sirenco supply as such. Ive heard different police cars with different sirens as well so im guessing there isnt just the one siren for all.
no worries... thanks all.. as you can tell i dont know much about sirens used by the emergency services. i thought it was strange at the time..

cheers
People call me an "Egotistic Jackass"... I prefer the term "Confident Donkey" --->Donks for short
holdenvxman

Post by holdenvxman »

Just in response to this, there was a coronial enquiry a few years back that recommended that support emergency vehicles use a different siren. When there are 2 vehicle with the same siren are going through an intersection other road users have this perception that there is only 1 vehicle going through and potentially cause and accident when the other vehicle if proceeding through. Ambulance’s are considered to be primary vehicles and all others (Landcruser and Forrester) are considered to be a support vehicle.
VKI_Urgent

Re:

Post by VKI_Urgent »

holdenvxman wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2007 8:16 pm Just in response to this, there was a coronial enquiry a few years back that recommended that support emergency vehicles use a different siren. When there are 2 vehicle with the same siren are going through an intersection other road users have this perception that there is only 1 vehicle going through and potentially cause and accident when the other vehicle if proceeding through. Ambulance’s are considered to be primary vehicles and all others (Landcruser and Forrester) are considered to be a support vehicle.
Hey mate, any link to this? I'd be extremely keen to read it?

Cheers