First Responder

St John Ambulance (6DS), AMS, RFDS etc. Frequencies, callsigns and discussion.

Moderator: Infernal

Tyranus
Amateur callsign: VK6FWDH
Scanners and Receivers: UBC93XLT

First Responder

Post by Tyranus »

I've heard about them, know someone who is one, though I don't get to see him very often, and generally forget to ask about it then. I've read what the SJA website has to say about it. But is anyone here a "First Responder"? What do you have to do for training? If you can't respond occasionally does this become a major problem? Any other info that you would have liked to have known before becoming one?

Many thanks,
Stirling SES
Team Leader (Stirling 53)
Vertical Rescue Team Member
K9 7 Support

VK6FWDH
ex-Darlington FB
WARSUG Demi-God I mean Mod
If stupidity got me into this mess, why can't it get me out.
Markmywords

Post by Markmywords »

Beaty park/joondalup arena/chidlow are a few that i know off oh and garden city too, i believe any job in that area then they ring or contact the responder in that area to go and treat till an ambulance arrives i dont know if its for any call or only cardiac arrests, when i was at SJA a few months ago doing some training the instructor seemed to give the impression it was cardiac arrest only.
Always RX

Post by Always RX »

I am First responder trained and the system indeed works as Markmywords has explained. In my case the training involved basic EAR and CPR training combined with training in the use of an automatic defibrillator. I am pretty sure the first responder system only applies in situations where an automatic defibrillator is available on location as was the case in my workplace. I highly recommend the training from St. Johns it was excellent. I am aware of cases in Perth where a first responder was the first on scene and was able to save a life and i think it would be great if more workplaces and public facilities like shopping centres etc.. would buy the equipment and put staff through the first responder system.
eswife

Post by eswife »

Some other areas First Responder is located .. Perth International Airport, Fini Villages, Government House, Parliament House, Health Dept and Education Dept and Perth Zoo..
Ambul8
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Ambul8 »

Insofar as the saint is concerned a few big "people gathering plaes" have fisrt responders. It is usually security or staff at the centre. Some places with first responders are perth airport (the firies do it), subi oval (on game day), garden city, galleria, education dept, calm hq, nursing homes, hillaries boat harbour etc.

If a 000 call is received and an address detail matches a first responder location it is flagged on the dispatch sytem. If the call is coded P1 and is likely an arrest (ie collapsed, ? unconscious, or other serious life threatening) the comms dude/ette makes a pager call or mobile call to first responders.

they then don the official first responder jacket, grab the 02 and auto defib and go and help the patient until we arrive, bells and all.

supposed to help with earlier defib in the case of arrest which, if given immediatly increases the survial rate by about 10%.

From my understanding the dispatch of a first responder occurs simultaniously to an ambulance (or 2 as the case may be).
Ambul8 - if u break urself i'll fix u! Maybe...
ImageImage
Tyranus

Post by Tyranus »

cool, well I'll be moving into the DET building when I start my new job on Monday, so once I'm settled I'll look at becoming a First Responder, I noticed that it was on one of the forms I was filling in, what Medical/1st Aid Certs I had and one of the options was First Responder.
Stirling SES
K9 7 Support

VK6FWDH
ex-Darlington FB
auntys_eyes

Post by auntys_eyes »

Tyranus wrote:...I'll be moving into the DET building when I start my new job on Monday
Hey Ty, you'll be working in the building opposite to me. Once you've settled in we should try and catch up for a coffee sometime.
WARSUG Moderator - Media Section

VBFB Member

No onion, no garlic, no chilli, no pepper... NO POINT!!
Tyranus

Post by Tyranus »

The one in East Perth? I found out a couple of weeks ago there is one in West Perth too. But either way, coffee sounds good...hmm time for another one I think...
Stirling SES
K9 7 Support

VK6FWDH
ex-Darlington FB
auntys_eyes

Post by auntys_eyes »

Yeah East Perth cnr Royal & Fielder, opp 'Silver City' (and just up from SJA Central Depot).

VBFB Member

Tyranus

Post by Tyranus »

auntys_eyes wrote:Yeah East Perth cnr Royal & Fielder, opp 'Silver City' (and just up from SJA Central Depot).
Cool, sounds like it's going to be a noisy area :P what with SJA vehicles, and Media vehicles all racing around to get places quickly. :lol:
Stirling SES
K9 7 Support

VK6FWDH
ex-Darlington FB
auntys_eyes

Post by auntys_eyes »

If the proposed new FESA City Station goes ahead on Wellington, then that will only be a few hundred metres away as well.

Don't forget the 2 fastest production cars ever made;
the Company Car
and the Hire Car

VBFB Member

Tyranus

Post by Tyranus »

Yeah true, one of my mates from Perth station was saying that there'd be an empty fire station there in due time too. :P!

HAHA, yeah those 2 cars would be the fastest around!
Stirling SES
K9 7 Support

VK6FWDH
ex-Darlington FB
offroada99

Re: First Responder

Post by offroada99 »

is the east perth SJA depot the one in morley?
Infernal
Scanners and Receivers: Uniden UBC60XLT

Re: First Responder

Post by Infernal »

offroada99 wrote:is the east perth SJA depot the one in morley?

No the Depot called Central is in East Perth, the Morley one is in Morley.

Central (in east Perth)
http://www.nearmap.com/?q=@-31.9515330, ... d=20101213