Critical Care Paramedics

St John Ambulance (6DS), AMS, RFDS etc. Frequencies, callsigns and discussion.

Moderator: Infernal

ST_DOC

Critical Care Paramedics

Post by ST_DOC »

Just a broad question how invasive are the critical care protocols? I.E. can they use RSI, IO route tib plus sternum? I read in a news article many moons ago that the critical care guys cannot use any of their advanced skills on road. Why is this? In the US we have a very broad range of skills and meds in our toolbox but they can be to extensive if you have short transfer time. At least they should be able to use advanced cardiac meds.
Any critical care guys or SJA Paras can explain?
Markmywords

Post by Markmywords »

I think this was answered in another forum not too sure, but yer definatley intere4sted why they cant use there critical care skills on the road.
ZO100_marto
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by ZO100_marto »

The response some time ago was the "Medical Director" who is resposible for all things medical reckons the only reason the CCP's have these skills is due to distances. When he was questioned about that fact that some jobs from up in the back of the hills can take longer to get to a real hosp then some of the flights there was no reply.
The other point to keep in mind is all the relevent training to move up to CCP is only provided if you are going on to the chopper. If these guys can use the skills on the road why should onroad para's miss the chance of increasing there skill level just because they dont want to fly?

Food for thought :)
Formally ZO100, now KG100 :D
ubc 72xlt...ubc 60xlt...uh015sx
bomber
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by bomber »

Last edited by bomber on Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ST_DOC

Post by ST_DOC »

Interesting.
I searched the net last night and found that ECU has a post grad cert and dip in critical care paramedicine. Now do all the chopper guys complete this or is this just another form of entry to the chopper?
bomber
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by bomber »

Markmywords

Post by Markmywords »

I agree the same i HATE flying and cant stand heights so if i wanted to be a CCP and if you look at other states they have CCP on the road in the form of a sedan/wagon or in the ambo sucks that W.A always seems to drag its leg that way. But for example in the country where you mixed paid/vollie a CCP on station would be ideal being a great distance from perth.
ZO100_marto
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by ZO100_marto »

I know that some don't have an issue with flying, they just don't want to be on the chopper.

As for the country, with the current crisis in RFDS and basically a zero chance of getting a medical team out of country hospitals it sure would be handy having some of those extra skills - 200 - 300 km road trips sure are on the increase :shock:
Formally ZO100, now KG100 :D
ubc 72xlt...ubc 60xlt...uh015sx
bomber
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by bomber »

Last edited by bomber on Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Markmywords

Post by Markmywords »

ZO100_marto wrote: - 200 - 300 km road trips sure are on the increase :shock:
Stuff that...

Well i mean they have STARTED in the right direction by having a rescue helicopter...i wonder on the "viability" of having an air ambulance (and yes we already have RFDS) BUT even one to do retrievals with a CCP onboard they do it over east all good and ready.

If thats happening
ZO100_marto wrote: As for the country, with the current crisis in RFDS and basically a zero chance of getting a medical team out of country hospitals.

An air ambulance would come in handy.

With the courses run at ECU is it SJA emplyees only or do they allow general applications ? like nursing etc ?
bomber
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by bomber »

Last edited by bomber on Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Markmywords

Post by Markmywords »

bomber wrote:5 yrs prof service. This i would say as an on- road paramedic. Wouldnt be avail to nurses as this is a paramedic run cse through ecu
I think i wrote that all wrong lol i was trying to say to do the "paramedic" course through ECU do you HAVE to be employed with SJA or can you apply like you would do any course through ECU or is it SJA employees only. (just the general paramedic course not the ccp course im talking about atm)