NSW Paramedics Request Metal Detectors and Stun Guns

St John Ambulance (6DS), AMS, RFDS etc. Frequencies, callsigns and discussion.

Moderator: Infernal

bomber
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by bomber »

Last edited by bomber on Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gkoutlis

Post by gkoutlis »

bomber wrote:I was quite suprised when i allpile lasy year. The process was alot easier than i thought.

good luck with flying docs though. would be great fun
Thanks mate - Appreciate your comments. - Did you get in?

G
bomber
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by bomber »

Last edited by bomber on Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gkoutlis

Post by gkoutlis »

bomber wrote:Yes, getting ready for exam fortnight next week. In first year studies, and having always hated school its a culture shock.
The study will always get everyone, even me in my Flight Exams - but you know, You'll make a fine Paramedic mate... stick at it.

G
Shank.ed

Post by Shank.ed »

Depends on how long you classify long? Just a tad over three years joined the force at the rip old age of 20, spent little time in the basic front line then with traffic enforcement/highway patrol out of Perth then where I am in now.

I remember my first fatal car crash wasn’t the most memorable moment……………

Pleased to see you actively volunteer keep up the good work
bomber
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by bomber »

Last edited by bomber on Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gkoutlis

Post by gkoutlis »

Shank.ed wrote:Depends on how long you classify long? Just a tad over three years joined the force at the rip old age of 20, spent little time in the basic front line then with traffic enforcement/highway patrol out of Perth then where I am in now.

I remember my first fatal car crash wasn’t the most memorable moment……………

Pleased to see you actively volunteer keep up the good work
Well 3yrs is still 3yrs - You all do a great job anyways - and when you work for someone in the emergency services like me (Vollie First Aider) - then you learn to appreciate WAPOL, SJA, FESA guys - and everything that they go through and deal with - Including Fatal TA's - What got me into the whole SJA Vollie thing, was witnessing a Fatal 5 years ago - when i was a P plater (I wasn't in any way involved) - a baby girl from the car hit died in my arms, - So i guess - my grounds for compassion are warranted since then...

Thanks for your kind words - I've been volunteering for about 10months with St.Johns, and have a full total of over 330 hours of Duty time... - The Leedy, is extra experience for me (in my own time) - Not particularly the ideal place for experience - but yeah... I was in Leedy the night two WAPOL officers were sprayed with Mace - (Cap-spray) - (2 months ago) - and offered to help them out using saline (sterile water) to help em out... - After both had been treated, both were thankful, so i guess - it makes me feel good that I've helped....
G
Shank.ed

Post by Shank.ed »

Yeah it’s always good to have a first aid experience. We were chasing a subject over in Joondalup over fences and I was unlucky enough to catch my arm on the side of the metal fence creating a deep gash. One of the neighbours came out with his ‘tool’ box said he was a volunteer paramedic and started to clean up the wound and everything like that before SJA arrived on the scene.

He did and amazing job but it resulted in me having stiches and a jab, though I made a point of actually going back later on in the arvo with a box of chocolates and a bottle of red to say thankyou – and the kids got to sit in the police car.

Its these instances where we fully appreciated the efforts both with there time and resources to help out in the community for other people. My spiel anyway good work. You never know we may be called into Leederville one night and I’ll try to spot you out ï
gkoutlis

Post by gkoutlis »

[quote="Shank.ed"]Yeah it’s always good to have a first aid experience. We were chasing a subject over in Joondalup over fences and I was unlucky enough to catch my arm on the side of the metal fence creating a deep gash. One of the neighbours came out with his ‘tool’ box said he was a volunteer paramedic and started to clean up the wound and everything like that before SJA arrived on the scene.

He did and amazing job but it resulted in me having stiches and a jab, though I made a point of actually going back later on in the arvo with a box of chocolates and a bottle of red to say thankyou – and the kids got to sit in the police car.

Its these instances where we fully appreciated the efforts both with there time and resources to help out in the community for other people. My spiel anyway good work. You never know we may be called into Leederville one night and I’ll try to spot you out ï
Shank.ed

Post by Shank.ed »

The arm yeah its fine! Thanks it was when I was pounding the beat on front line up at Joondalup so nearly 2years ago (and the point I actually hate needles). You’ll find out that were glad for outside help on car crashes cause 9/10 times we arrive on the scene first and ambulances are on the way yet the person who is injured is in a bad state. We have had our first aid training but if you’re better than us we’ll be glad to step aside.

As long as you say you’re a volunteer paramedic well step aside.

I hear your taking your PPL I presume good luck with it all, I know how hard those exams were!
gkoutlis

Post by gkoutlis »

Shank.ed wrote:The arm yeah its fine! Thanks it was when I was pounding the beat on front line up at Joondalup so nearly 2years ago (and the point I actually hate needles). You’ll find out that were glad for outside help on car crashes cause 9/10 times we arrive on the scene first and ambulances are on the way yet the person who is injured is in a bad state. We have had our first aid training but if you’re better than us we’ll be glad to step aside.

As long as you say you’re a volunteer paramedic well step aside.

I hear your taking your PPL I presume good luck with it all, I know how hard those exams were!
Well - I hate needles too - and do try as much as I can to avoid them but yeah... lol.

We'll I've been in alot of instances where WAPOL and SJA were on the way to a TA that happend close to where I was travelling, so I render assistance, and Identify myself as a First Aider - and yeah - Im no doctor, but just to try and make a difference...

Yep - on my way to PPL - but first I have to get well - I've been sick for a few months, so hoping all that clears up soon... Thanks for the good luck for my future exams - I need it... And your not wrong there, exams for CASA are always hard.... - I once had a vision to be a Pilot for Polair 61 - but it costs way too much to get hours up in a chopper...
G
munchkin1981
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by munchkin1981 »

me think george will make good RFD person already is a good vfas member ( i so cant type tonight)
It wasn't me honest.....it was the cat I'm sweet and innocent one :)
Markmywords

Post by Markmywords »

you sound like luke the way you wrote that post haha you seem tired indeed....
luke

Post by luke »

hehe thanx for adding my name :wink:
tango11

Post by tango11 »

As a former volunteer, now paid staff(SJA and VFAS 'Brigade') officer, I can and do appreciate the time that these people give up to serve our community. Some of the volunteer ambulance officers give 30hrs plus a week to SJA, doing the same amount work as paid staff, and yes 80% of our job as officers is providing OPR there are times when the VAO's see the harder side of life.

On the flip side of things, I am a volunteer Firefighter and bloody proud of it.

I sometimes think that the Saints motto for volunteers should be 'Service to our community' it is the community that they provide the service for.