New ambulance siren

St John Ambulance (6DS), AMS, RFDS etc. Frequencies, callsigns and discussion.

Moderator: Infernal

auntys_eyes

Post by auntys_eyes »

Who the hell elses radios would it mean?? Who else would need to be warned about an approaching emergency vehicle??

Sometimes Hm681!!!............... :roll:
WARSUG Moderator - Media Section

VBFB Member

No onion, no garlic, no chilli, no pepper... NO POINT!!
Hm681

Post by Hm681 »

lol sumone getting cocky :P
WPXZBP

Post by WPXZBP »

Emerg Alert I think was discussed in another thread on here. I do know that some radar detectors have capability to detect radio signals from appliances fitted out with special transmitters. It's called SWS but it's only a small rollout at the moment - not too many vehicles have it.
imacop

Post by imacop »

TheDoc wrote:the polly pipe has an emergency warning system that transmits warnings over your car radio no matter what station ur listening to
in the tunnel they re-transmit most of the commercial radio stations, so you can continue to listen as you pass underground. i guess the warning system would just plug into that.
jinx

Siren Frequency

Post by jinx »

Would anyone happen to know the frequency of a ambulance siren??

I know this is a odd question, but I cant seem to find this information anywhere!!
tango11

Re: Siren Frequency

Post by tango11 »

jinx wrote:Would anyone happen to know the frequency of a ambulance siren??
The frequency of sirens vary from state to state, for instance in Victoria MIRC have a higher frequency to overcome city noise, Rural Ambulance Service operate on a low frequency.

Range 500 to 3000hz

hope this helps
slipknot
150+ posts
150+ posts
Scanners and Receivers: Yaesu FT-857 Yaesu FT7800 Icom ID800H

Post by slipknot »

auntys_eyes wrote:
HEKTIK wrote:Not a matter of respect, just some people have no brains and dont deserve a car license. How hard could it be to pull over near the curb and remain stationary for 20 seconds till the emergency vehicle passes.
Coincidently i experienced such ignorance yesterday. (Sun 4-3 @ 12:10pm)

Travelling west on Gt Eastern Hwy towards Roe Hwy was passed by an SJA Merc under P1. By the time i got to lights at cnr GEH and Roe, the ambo was held up by cars 3 deep in all 3 lanes. I pulled up behind ambo leaving 2-3 car lengths, and glad i did. After what seemed like an eternity of being stationary with lights and sirens blaring and no one moving, the ambo was forced to reverse up to me and drive over the medium strip into the opposing lanes. (The mercs don't seem to handle the big kerbs very well either.)

But that's not all!!!!!

Having made it this far the traffic (inc trucks) travelling south/north on Roe Hwy (@80 kmh) refused to yield and the ambo was forced to slam on his brakes 3 TIMES in the process of moving across the intersection, skillfully, yet miraculously, avoiding any further incidents.

I can only guess at the level of stress and frustration being experienced by that crew (and patient!!!). In over 20 years as a professional driver i have never witnessed such a pathetically ignorant reaction to an emergency vehicle. :cry:
hey , i know this was posted a long time ago but, and im not disagreeing with you at all, but im confused.

i dont want to have an accident my self(im just learning at the moent) if you have an ambulance up your bum on P1 and your at a red light , what do you do to let the ambulance through?
gkoutlis

Post by gkoutlis »

Let them get around you if your at Red Traffic lights.... - People shouldn't run a red light to let WAPOL, FRS or SJA - as you can get fined for it even though your doing the right thing...

I've seen some cars though pull to one side - so the Emergency vehicle can just squeeze through...
George
WARSUG Moderator
VFRS Member

"I am not one who was born in the possession of knowledge. I am one who is fond of antiquity, and earnest in seeking it there." — Confucius

Any views expressed in the above post are my own and do not necessarily depict or reflect the views or opinions of DFES/FRS or VBFB.
donks
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by donks »

ok sorry if this seems like a silly question...

I noticed that the headlights flash intermittently when on P1 during the day....

my question is, when driving at night under L+S is this intermittent flashing deactivated when the headlights are turned on? or do the highbeams flash on and off at night time?

I havnt really payed attention to all the smaller details of ambos.

cheers
People call me an "Egotistic Jackass"... I prefer the term "Confident Donkey" --->Donks for short
Ambul8
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Ambul8 »

Hello,

as an emergency vehicle driver, I would prefer stopped people to stay stopped and people who are driving to keep a steady speed and merge left.
None of this random braking and moving round.

Yes lights turn off when headlights are on.

MKVI mercs will not have headlight flashing function due to different wiring??
Ambul8 - if u break urself i'll fix u! Maybe...
ImageImage
Markmywords

Post by Markmywords »

Correct.

The new mercs will now have the headlights on at all times instead.

Just curious if all the new mercs will be fitted with the phaser as well.

As soon as i managed to get around sorting the video to dvd problem i'll post up some mark IV on P1 both the "your dead" siren and the one current being used.
vk6hgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6HGR
Scanners and Receivers: Various Yaesu, Kenwood, Tait, Simoco and Philips'

Post by vk6hgr »

Markmywords wrote: As soon as i managed to get around sorting the video to dvd problem i'll post up some mark IV on P1 both the "your dead" siren and the one current being used.
When I was a youngn' you could tell the difference between ambulances, fire trucks and police by the tone of the siren. Ambos had a simple two-tone siren and firies had a rising-falling siren. They were also damn loud unlike the wimpy electronic sirens they use now :-)

Our ambos used to sound like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnvhE9XyFa0

(Can't tell that I'm bored at work today? :-) )
Last edited by vk6hgr on Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gavin Rogers; VK6HGR
http://vk6hgr.ampr.org/
WARSUG forum administrator
Site and stream donations: https://www.paypal.me/vk6hgr
vk6hgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6HGR
Scanners and Receivers: Various Yaesu, Kenwood, Tait, Simoco and Philips'

Post by vk6hgr »

Bill Bailey on Foreign Ambulance Sirens (hilarious!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRyvsRAo8T8
Gavin Rogers; VK6HGR
http://vk6hgr.ampr.org/
WARSUG forum administrator
Site and stream donations: https://www.paypal.me/vk6hgr
eswife

Post by eswife »

This was posted some time ago.....
Ambul8
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Ambul8 »

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=THzLR6K5s ... re=related

This is exactly the same siren system as in ambulance 91, now the BAriatric TRuck.

used to love the peer
Ambul8 - if u break urself i'll fix u! Maybe...
ImageImage