Ambulance Officer Procedures

St John Ambulance (6DS), AMS, RFDS etc. Frequencies, callsigns and discussion.

Moderator: Infernal

paramedicpathway

Ambulance Officer Procedures

Post by paramedicpathway »

Hi,

Just wondering if Ambulance Officers who have not reached the level of Paramedic and are still doing the degree through St John and ECU are allowed to cannulate or intubate???

What kind of procedures can fully qualified paramedics carry out that ambulance officers are not allowed to yet?? Are there any?? or can they both do the same thing??

SJANT
150+ posts
150+ posts

Re: Ambulance Officer Procedures

Post by SJANT »

Just out of interest and not having a go at you. Why do you want to know? Cannulation and intubation aren't the be all and end all. Quite a bit of evidence that fluid administration pre-hospital isn't that beneficial in trauma especially if there is uncontrolled haemorrhage. Intubation maybe not be too beneficial for a number of groups too. Good clinical assessment skills are far more valuable and much harder to learn than skills like cannulation and intubation.
SJANT
150+ posts
150+ posts

Re: Ambulance Officer Procedures

Post by SJANT »

Was told by a intensive care paramedic now doctor something which I have held with me my entire medical career.

Basic skills saves lives.

So things like good basic airway skills, sound assessment, situational awareness, good history taking are the foundation skills that really make a difference to patients.