Paramedic Belt Equiptment

St John Ambulance (6DS), AMS, RFDS etc. Frequencies, callsigns and discussion.

Moderator: Infernal

paramedicpathway

Paramedic Belt Equiptment

Post by paramedicpathway »

Just been wondering about a few things relating to the equipment carried on paramedics belts.

I have seen some of the NSW paramedics carry scissors, a light (to check pupils), keys, ID and a radio system. I was wondering if that is the same for WA because I haven't seen a paramedic with all that on their belt yet. Do they only wear certain things to certain jobs?

Also.... I noticed the NSW paramedics have a radio system on their belt and then a curly cord attached to it that they clip onto their shoulder which has a radio at the top which they can talk into.

Do WA paramedics have this and if so how do they attach it to their shirts?? as I have noticed they don't have the shoulder pad things that say 'paramedic' like in NSW

Infernal
Scanners and Receivers: Uniden UBC60XLT

Re: Paramedic Belt Equiptment

Post by Infernal »

WA Paramedics dont carry radios out of the vehicle, allot of its done by phone, in fact there was very little radio communication in the WA service, however that may have changed now they have gone to digital.

Carrying the belt pack, or "pick Pocket" as its called is personal choice, i never carried one for years, and when i was given one to use, it got in the way all the time, when i knelt down
paramedicpathway

Ok so you don't carry radios at all. How do you communicate to other people then e.g. if back up or police assistance is required??

Infernal
Scanners and Receivers: Uniden UBC60XLT

Post by Infernal »

AO11912 wrote: , allot of its done by phone,
I'm not going to go in to details of how to get police back up as that may jepodise safety.
paramedicpathway

Ok, I understand :)
SJANT
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by SJANT »

There was a joke that the newer the paramedic the more stuff they have on their belt e.g. scissors pouch, leatherman, mag lite loop, glove pouch. Up here quite a few people have equipment belts but most people don't go beyond a scissor pouch. Too much stuff and you can't sit with your back flush against the seat which is quite uncomfortable. Don't know how our brothers in blue do it with all their appointments.