advance life

St John Ambulance (6DS), AMS, RFDS etc. Frequencies, callsigns and discussion.

Moderator: Infernal

Herpes
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Herpes »

Markmywords wrote:Well i guess thats a good plan :P

Problem is getting the right training that is more than 6 weeks in a class room :p

I guess they should be carefull what content they put in the emails they send IP addys can be found in an a email more so if its "confidential" information haha.
Vollies in the country have a level of competency close to the old advance occupational first aid.

Whilst this is not ideal, to train someone up to a ccp would be a waste and they would not stay due to the lack of workload that they would be seeking. ie: trauma or medical patients that require invasive procedures.

Its a hard one to nut out, but I have the belief that eventually, someone would come up with a training program that provides high quality care, without going overboard.

I know that this will not be agreed by all, but I am trying to move the prehospital care environment in the bush forward without making it something it could not be, otherwise SJA would already have paid officers there.
Kyle
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Kyle »

I think to be a volunteer or bare minimum to work for a Ambulance Service in emergency care the individual should be at least a CERT 4 level [Nationally Registered / Accredited]. Also I would like to see the qualification to be stated as probationary until clinical practice hours included in the course in ED & Ambulance Operations have been completed.

That way most would have the similar knowledge, capacity & sound understanding to render aid. I also strongly believe that all operational Ambulance staff should do some form of Driver Training.

That way they will have a maintainable standard of practice for both Paid & Non Paid. Rather then every company moving in opposite directions.

This would be at least a start to try and get everyone volunteer or paid at the same standard.

Like you were saying in the the USA volunteers get trained to a EMT-B level.

:smt006
Last edited by Kyle on Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
O.O
I exclude all liability to any person arising directly or indirectly from using this site and any information or material available from it.
Markmywords

Post by Markmywords »

Herpes: Totally agree there.

The long delays in getting back up RFDS or what not out in the sticks i guess its vital that country sub centres get some hell decent training or let the private sector take over.

Holding onto vollies is hard enough as it is (its not for them, not enough work,family commitments) There was a girl that died in a roll over (just after the fires in kalgoorlie out norseman way) they waited i believe a few "hours" for an ambulance that came from a nearby mine site, followed by police fire etc

The way SJA manage country sub centres who look after themselves is a disgrace lets look back at when pinjarra went paid/vollie and then after busselton (i am lead to believe totally not happy with someone else coming in and just taking control) I strongly believe that at least 1 paramedic should be in most country towns where the work load express's it.
Kyle
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Kyle »

Markmywords wrote:Herpes: Totally agree there.

The long delays in getting back up RFDS or what not out in the sticks i guess its vital that country sub centres get some hell decent training or let the private sector take over.

Holding onto vollies is hard enough as it is (its not for them, not enough work,family commitments) There was a girl that died in a roll over (just after the fires in kalgoorlie out norseman way) they waited i believe a few "hours" for an ambulance that came from a nearby mine site, followed by police fire etc

The way SJA manage country sub centres who look after themselves is a disgrace lets look back at when pinjarra went paid/vollie and then after busselton (i am lead to believe totally not happy with someone else coming in and just taking control) I strongly believe that at least 1 paramedic should be in most country towns where the work load express's it.
Well where communities are not receiving decent Ambulance Care. Can the local council contract its own Ambulance Services. For example hire a Private Company other then SJA. After all communities should have access to a Ambulance Service.. Makes you wonder where all those tax payers dollars go.. :-k
O.O
I exclude all liability to any person arising directly or indirectly from using this site and any information or material available from it.
Herpes
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Herpes »

You would not require a council contract. You would need, qualified (to cert 4) staff to run these stations and start training more staff. Hit the regional mines in your area for extrication from there sites to major hospitals. Workers compensation pays for these transports.

You become a member of the AQTF, registering training courses to meet specific industrial first aid training. These courses would then be offered to the mines at discounted rates to allow a lookin a sja and medic one already covering these fields well. (MUST BE HUGE $$$$$ in it for these companies to be pushing for the work)

This cover the majority of wages for on road staff.

MVA's private ambulance cover for priority work and uninsured work all gets paid sor in the end. It has nothing to do with the motto "for the service of humanity". It is still a business and therefore should be treated like one.

I believe this could work in some of the larger sub centers and needs to happen. Whos with me
Herpes
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Herpes »

Collie are pissed that they are doing psychiatric transfers at 18:00, cause the paid officers don't want to do the long trip, or leave the area supposedly unattended. Dont they understand- these people volunteer there time, and being sent on a six hr return trip pisses them off. I would quit on the spot to if they did this to me too often.
Kyle
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Kyle »

Herpes wrote:

Collie are pissed that they are doing psychiatric transfers at 18:00, cause the paid officers don't want to do the long trip, or leave the area supposedly unattended. Dont they understand- these people volunteer there time, and being sent on a six hr return trip pisses them off. I would quit on the spot to if they did this to me too often.
I hope thats not to Greylands or Fremantle [4hr drive there and back]. That would be a very long tip. I mean if your paid to do it you wouldn't mind. However for free I think they are pushing it..!! Also Volunteer have jobs to go to the next day.. so due consideration is needed on long transfers..
O.O
Markmywords

Post by Markmywords »

Herpes: Same applies to bunbury doing the psych transfers up to perth, leaving the area even though not unattended (australind are manning the station) but still no paramedic backup. (now i maybe wrong unless bunbury have a spare crew that are called out)

ALAS have burnt the bridges down that way but either not showing or turning up late (and flying down P1 just to get there in time)

Im with you (but not quite sure what your talking about on that subject haha)
eswife

Post by eswife »

[quote="Markmywords"]Herpes: Same applies to bunbury doing the psych transfers up to perth, leaving the area even though not unattended (australind are manning the station) but still no paramedic backup. (now i maybe wrong unless bunbury have a spare crew that are called out)

Bunbury try and get a crew in on overtime just to do transfers (great $$$)
Kyle
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Kyle »

eswife wrote:
Markmywords wrote:Herpes: Same applies to bunbury doing the psych transfers up to perth, leaving the area even though not unattended (australind are manning the station) but still no paramedic backup. (now i maybe wrong unless bunbury have a spare crew that are called out)

Bunbury try and get a crew in on overtime just to do transfers (great $$$)
eswife what are the overtime rates for transfers.
O.O
eswife

Post by eswife »

eswife what are the overtime rates for transfers.[/quote]

Paramedics get paid double their normal rate.
Kyle
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Kyle »

eswife wrote:
Paramedics get paid double their normal rate.
So I think this is right based this of the recruitment PDF.

Paramedics at SJA earn a average of $1239 full qualified weekly..

Based on a 38hr week that is $32.60hr

Shift penalties are $24.25 hr

So if you were to do overtime the hourly total rate shft penlt + Base is $56.85 hr

Does that sound right.. :-k
O.O
Markmywords

Post by Markmywords »

Kyle: I think your figures MAYBE out slighty BUT you are on the right track !!!!
eswife

Post by eswife »

I was going to say the same thing!!
Kyle
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Kyle »

Last edited by Kyle on Tue Feb 12, 2008 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
O.O