Main Roads Highway Emergency Response Ops to have Priority 2

WA Department of Fire and Emergency Services (6AR and 6IP) (Including the Fire Services, SES & VMRS) and Department of Biodiversity, Conservation and Attractions

Moderator: bogged

Do HERO's need Priority 2?

Yes
47%
NO
53%

Total votes: 53

dazla
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by dazla »

Main Roads HERO crews will soon be able to proceed to jobs under emergency conditions after a reveiw of the service, the Traffic Operations Centre in Perth will be their dispatch centre.

HERO's are responsible for attending to any incidents that occur on our Main Roads Network such as accidents, emergencys and hazards.

Dont know what freqencies they will work on but I will keep you informed.
Per Ardua-Ad Astra
Zebedee
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6DB

Post by Zebedee »

Hmmmmm tricky. (And a good post/poll by the way!!)

I can see arguments both for and against, but in the end I've voted "No."

I thought the purpose of the HEROs was to attend breakdowns and that sort of thing on the freeways. It doesn't seem like an "emergency condition" to me that would need them to be given a priority.

I can see that in the case of an accident, the HEROs may be used for traffic control around the scene, but again, I'm not sure why they would need to get there right now.

Having said all that, I'm not too familiar with the roles of the HERO cars, so if I'm way off, someone please educate me! :-)

-- Doug
dazla
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by dazla »

The HERO's are responsible for ensuring the smooth flow of traffic and clearing an obstructions that occur on the freeway. I think the main reason they want the priority status is so they can get through traffic to attend to incidents on the freeway.

In NSW the RTA Traffic Emergency Patols have this status and have been a valuable service to both the community and the Police in assisting during emergecnys.

I think it could be woth while as long as they were trained properly and did not abuse it.
Per Ardua-Ad Astra
Zebedee
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6DB

Post by Zebedee »

dazla wrote:I think the main reason they want the priority status is so they can get through traffic to attend to incidents on the freeway.
Fair enough, that makes sense I guess... This may be a silly question though but can't they just put their orange flashing lights on and go up the emergency lane to get past traffic?
earmuff man

Post by earmuff man »

i agree with that, maybe a few red ones might do the trick though :wink:
dazla
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by dazla »

I think red lights would be fine, I would imagine they would have similar priority to Western Power Emergency Crews.
Per Ardua-Ad Astra
HappyJackSlade

Post by HappyJackSlade »

If they kept getting there late,The would be fired,not heros.
dazla
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by dazla »

Very good :D :D

They are currently under review, it is invisaged that their role may expand somewhat.
Per Ardua-Ad Astra
HappyJackSlade

Post by HappyJackSlade »

:wink: I have a mate who is a federal coper and some who are state copers.they are all heros in my eyes.
This includes EMS
Fastlane
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster
Amateur callsign: VK6FLMZ

Post by Fastlane »

A few things. Firstly, the terminology "Priority 1" and "Priority 2" are used by WAPS only - its not mentioned in the Road Traffic Code 2000, its just their own internal terminology to define what a person can do. In the code, it says:
A provision of these regulations does not apply to the driver of an emergency vehicle that is not being used for official duties by a police officer if

(a) in the circumstances

(i) the driver is taking reasonable care; and

(ii) it is reasonable that the provision should not apply;

and

(b) the vehicle is a motor vehicle that is moving and the vehicle is displaying a blue or red flashing light or sounding an alarm.
Emergency vehicles are defined as Police Vehicles, a Fire Appliance going to an incident where it may be reasonably considered that life may be in danger, an Ambulance answering an urgent call, a vehicle delivering blood supplies or a vehicle authorised as an emergency vehicle by the Director General (of Transport).

The law doesnt actually prescribe what the limits (such as speed) are, however, people driving emergency vehicles *can* be charged with reckless driving, regardless of the above.

Western Power has flashing red lights and sirens, primarily as they are the HMA (Hazard Management Agency) for electrical incidents/emergencies and Firefighters, Police or Ambos cannot deal with incidents involving electricity without their assistance. For traffic accidents and the such, the Police are the HMA's - so really, there isnt any good reason for the HERO's to have the ability.. I doubt they even have the legislative ability to direct traffic and such.

Usually, red only lights are given to 'support vehicles' - first responders have both red and blue.

Same deal is happening at the moment with Secureforce (that do the bus security) - they want sirens and flashing lights, but really, theres no reason as the Police have the responsibility and ability to deal with this.. (they are after all, just security guards).

(oh, and after all of that, I voted no!)
dazla
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by dazla »

Secureforce had red lights on a couple of their vehicles until they received yellow stickers. Transit Guards have red lights on the patrol vehicles and are emergency vehicles for attending jobs on the Railways.

The HERO's will become the HMA for any incident on Main Roads, they are operated from the Traffic Operations Centre.

I think they need them to get through traffic to attend incidents, they are after all often the first on the scene.
Per Ardua-Ad Astra
Fastlane
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster
Amateur callsign: VK6FLMZ

Post by Fastlane »

No surprise there with Secureforce.. as for the Transit Guards, they are Magenta Lights, not Red - just like what transport inspectors have on their vehicles. They have no sirens and no exemptions under the Road Traffic Code - I had this discussion with one of them I know recently.
scottwa2468

Post by scottwa2468 »

the police some of the time dont have the ability to deal with public transport security fastlane,they barely cope with protecting the general public with the lack of resourses that they have,and security guards have the powers to peform a citizens arrest fastlane!!!
Aztech

Re: Priority 2

Post by Aztech »

"So If Hero's get to use Light's and Sirens"
Why cant Tow Trucks that are responding to accidents?

You always know there's an accident up ahead when a tow truck speeds past you, followed closely by an ambulance, then the police!

IF Hero's DO get to use there Light's + Sirens, Im sure the Towies will want to as well. (even if its just those red lights u mentioned {support} so that they can move through traffic and MOVE cars off the road)

What do you all think about this?

Aaron
dazla
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by dazla »

Because HERO's are responding to an incident, they are dispatched by the TOC and requsted by the Police VIA the TOC. Towies listen to a scanner and then respond illegally, acting on information they have heard, they are just annoying.

Transit Guards have red light fastlane, I would know as I was a Transit Guard for two years.
Per Ardua-Ad Astra