Who is responsible for Fire Hydrants?

WA Department of Fire and Emergency Services (6AR and 6IP) (Including the Fire Services, SES & VMRS) and Department of Biodiversity, Conservation and Attractions

Moderator: bogged

written_ficton
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Who is responsible for Fire Hydrants?

Post by written_ficton »

I raise the question:

I recently was in attendance of a structure fire where two Pumps & LT's attended. About 15mins in I had an officer run up to me asking if I knew where the closest Fire Hydrant was which was pointed out to him. With a thanks, he casually mentioned "The Hydrants don't work in there"

So it boils down to two questions:

- Public Hydrants [Found on the street] are they maintained by each Station on a regular basis to make sure that they are functioning?

- Private Hydrants [Found inside business, i.e Commerical Properties] are they the responsibility of the commercial owners? If so, is there a rule / law that they have to be checked on a regular basis and do FRS do any checks on these?
I've closed the door!
LighteningCrashes
150+ posts
150+ posts
Scanners and Receivers: Tait2020

Re: Who is responsible for Fire Hydrants?

Post by LighteningCrashes »

Street hydrants are supplied and major maintenance by Water Corp (leaks, broken, moving, signage) and checked/basic maintenance by FRS (painting, access, cats eyes etc).

Private are up to the property owner.
robbage
Amateur callsign: VK6UFO_VK6RN
Scanners and Receivers:  
Scanners/receivers
Diamond Welz WS1000 wideband handheld
Radioshack Pro 28 handheld
Uniden UBC72XLT handheld
Uniden UBC73XLT handheld
Uniden UBC330CRS desktop

Two-way
Yaesu VX-3R 2m/70cm Ham TRX and wideband RX handheld
Yaesu FT-1802M 2m Ham TRX mobile x 2
Yaesu FT-7800R 2m/70cm Ham TRX and wide band RX mobile
Icom IC-208H 2m/70cm Ham TRX and wide band RX mobile
Icom IC-706MKIIG all-band all-mode Ham TRX mobile
Icom IC-V85 2m VHF Ham TRX handheld
Wouxun KG-UVD1P VHF/UHF wideband Ham TRX handheld
Wouxun KG-679P VHF wideband Ham TRX handheld
Wouxun KG-713 UHF wideband Ham TRX handheld

Post by robbage »

The ones on military bases in WA are maintained by subcontractors.
Rob
OF78WD
 Amateur moderator
Arguing with a fool proves there are two
dlcat1
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by dlcat1 »

You should be able to see a little yellow tag on hydrants/hose reels/extinguishers within buildings showing they have been checked. I'm pretty sure it is a legal requirement for the building manager to get these checked too.
obzelite

Post by obzelite »

fire hose in our building was checked by fesa 6-7 years ago, the only ppl checking now are the insurers for the building who send an assessor around once in a while to make sure its accessible.
fesa actually rolled it and checked it worked and punched the yellow tag.
clueless

Post by clueless »

written_ficton wrote:
- Public Hydrants [Found on the street] are they maintained by each Station on a regular basis to make sure that they are functioning?

- Private Hydrants [Found inside business, i.e Commerical Properties] are they the responsibility of the commercial owners? If so, is there a rule / law that they have to be checked on a regular basis and do FRS do any checks on these?
- Public hydrants are maintained by local stations with any defects being sent in to FESA to be logged and sent on to Watercorp.

- Private hydrants are too looked at by FRS stations during building inspections, however the responsibility of maintaing these is to the landowner.
AVBFS
Scanners and Receivers: UBCT9

Post by AVBFS »

clueless wrote:
written_ficton wrote:

- Public hydrants are maintained by local stations with any defects being sent in to FESA to be logged and sent on to Watercorp.

- Private hydrants are too looked at by FRS stations during building inspections, however the responsibility of maintaing these is to the landowner.

- any Hydrants outside of a gazetted fire district are checked by the local BFB (brigade) then if repairs required request sent to local shire
:mrgreen:
eukanuba

Post by eukanuba »

obzelite wrote:fire hose in our building was checked by fesa 6-7 years ago, the only ppl checking now are the insurers for the building who send an assessor around once in a while to make sure its accessible.
fesa actually rolled it and checked it worked and punched the yellow tag.
Do you mean ' Layflat ' or ' Hose Reel '.. 2 different items.. one is not fixed to the building, the other is..

All hose reels and portable fire equipment needs to be tested 6 monthly.. the yellow tag is a ROS and identifies that the gear has been tested.

All extinguishers should be tested 6 monthly.

I wasnt aware FESA was out testing hose reels.. I think you might be mistaken.. most service companies like CHUBB, WORMALD, HECS and the various others out there - they conduct onsite inspection and testing services for portable and building fire suppression equipment.
( FESA dont even test their own gear, they send it off site to a service company.. why would you ? it's cheaper to have someone else do the work at the end of the day.. )