When a DBA Alarm is recorded as false

WA Department of Fire and Emergency Services (6AR and 6IP) (Including the Fire Services, SES & VMRS) and Department of Biodiversity, Conservation and Attractions

Moderator: bogged

written_ficton
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

When a DBA Alarm is recorded as false

Post by written_ficton »

Quick question, when a DBA call out is recorded as a False Alarm, I'm under the impression that the business are charged for the callout. Is there a set rate for the callout or is it different for every business?
I've closed the door!
vk6hgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6HGR
Scanners and Receivers: Various Yaesu, Kenwood, Tait, Simoco and Philips'

Re: When a DBA Alarm is recorded as false

Post by vk6hgr »

I dunno what the rate is but I know from a friend who had an alarm that was going off for no reason that the fee was enough that they got the fault sorted fairly quickly!
Gavin Rogers; VK6HGR
http://vk6hgr.ampr.org/
WARSUG forum administrator
Site and stream donations: https://www.paypal.me/vk6hgr
Wannabee

Post by Wannabee »

Last edited by Wannabee on Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bigfella78

Post by Bigfella78 »

I don't think they can charge per call out as its a service they pay for in their rates ie ESL...
A52

"Just because your paranoid doesn't mean their not following you"
phreak
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by phreak »

out of curiosity, why do hotels charge for FESA call outs? I stay in a few hotels every month for work and each and every one states that if they brigade is called out, a charge of $200 will be issued to the room for a false alarm. This charge is separate to the cleaning charge if caught smoking in the room.
CDC Fire Rescue - Volunteer Firefighter
A52 - Volunteer Firefighter
auntys_eyes

Post by auntys_eyes »

phreak wrote:out of curiosity, why do hotels charge for FESA call outs?
Because they are a private enterprise. Just like any other competitive business they are out to make a profit. They pay the ESL as part of their rates and it is an opportunity for them to recoup some of that cost when the stuation arrises.
WARSUG Moderator - Media Section

VBFB Member

No onion, no garlic, no chilli, no pepper... NO POINT!!
phreak
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by phreak »

that does make sense now, stupid, greedy, illogical sense... lol :lol:
BuddahFRS
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by BuddahFRS »

as far as i know. and dont quote me on this. But FESA is a State Government Organization and is not privately owned. so all money for fesa is supplied by state government and now by local government by ESL. as they are a State Government Organization they do not charge for call outs.

St John is a private organization and can charge for call outs and ambulance trips.

as i said before i am not 100% sure so if i am wrong i am sorry in advanced. hopefully someone out there can shed some more light on this matter
----BUDDAH VFRS----
WPXZBP

Post by WPXZBP »

Wannabee wrote:FESA do not charge for DBA's. It doesn't matter if the are valid or a fault. Some state fire services do but FESA never has. If the alarm is a repeat offender an application can be made by the responding brigade to have the alarm taken of line until the fault is rectified. If this occurs the premisies insurance will more than likley be void due to having no active alarm system. This make them act on it quiet quickley. Hope this helps
That's what my understanding of the situation is currently.
dlcat1
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by dlcat1 »

Can DBAs/building fire alarms be set off by street sweepers/water trucks filling up and dropping the mains pressure? I heard there were certain hydrants in Sydney that were certified for filling up from and NSWFB (but happy to be corrected) did issue infringement notices for filling up at the others. Wondering if Perth is the same?
phreak
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by phreak »

dlcat1 wrote:Can DBAs/building fire alarms be set off by street sweepers/water trucks filling up and dropping the mains pressure? I heard there were certain hydrants in Sydney that were certified for filling up from and NSWFB (but happy to be corrected) did issue infringement notices for filling up at the others. Wondering if Perth is the same?
further question to that, can the alarms be set off when one of the sprinkler heads is accidently knocked off? I've seen a DBA go off in Armadale when a 4WD took out a sprinkler head in an underground car park.
best job

Post by best job »

The alarms can be activated when a sprinkler is damaged, the panel will indicate a sprinkler is active via a change in system pressure. The fire hydrants in perth are solely for emergency purposes, i think the majority of sprinkler and booster systems have a non-return valve to prevent a drop in mains pressure affecting the system pressure.
BuddahFRS
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by BuddahFRS »

phreak wrote:
dlcat1 wrote:Can DBAs/building fire alarms be set off by street sweepers/water trucks filling up and dropping the mains pressure? I heard there were certain hydrants in Sydney that were certified for filling up from and NSWFB (but happy to be corrected) did issue infringement notices for filling up at the others. Wondering if Perth is the same?
further question to that, can the alarms be set off when one of the sprinkler heads is accidently knocked off? I've seen a DBA go off in Armadale when a 4WD took out a sprinkler head in an underground car park.

yes this can happen on the older systems. as there is a pressure gauge for the outside mains and one for the inside main. if the pressure drops. it usually means that a sprinkler valve has activated so the alarms will go off and the pressure will be boosted.
----BUDDAH VFRS----
dlcat1
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by dlcat1 »

Thanks all :)
nra555
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by nra555 »

At a private school I work at, the fire hydrants around the school are at a maintained pressure, when that drops the booster automaticly starts and will only turn off when manual shut down.
as for infringments... iv been told that water corp hand out the infringments because the fire hydrants are not metered and unauthorised use is stealing.
PRC-555
NRA-555

nra.org.au - join today to make UHF CB a more enjoyable band to use!