Volunteer FRS uniforms

WA Department of Fire and Emergency Services (6AR and 6IP) (Including the Fire Services, SES & VMRS) and Department of Biodiversity, Conservation and Attractions

Moderator: bogged

macca

Volunteer FRS uniforms

Post by macca »

I have noticed that there has been a change in uniforms with the VFRS.
Is it true that VFRS are wearing the same uniform as the CFRS because I was at a recent fire in the hills and noticed that Kalamumda VFRS are wearing the same T shirts as the CFRS, correct me if I'm wrong.
It was hard to tell if they were VFRS or CFRS firefighters not that it matters.
WPXZBP

Re: Volunteer FRS uniforms

Post by WPXZBP »

Yes, uniforms are changing. The roll-out is on-going and not all VFRS firefighters have new kit yet. Some Brigades have (and will continue to retain) their own t-shirts, polo shirts etc but there are standardised forms of kit being issued.
Gohie

Post by Gohie »

Bulls brook recently made the transition from a BFB to a VFRS. There has been no "standardised kit" issue other than Level 2 PPE and kit bags only to members that have completed their BA. Other members have their originial Level 1 PPE. Some moves to new 'cargo blue PPE pants" as replacements. Other clothing is brigade issued and member funded - ie. t-shits, polos, hats. Have not really noticed any uniform up this way from other VFRS units - but then again never noticed. Too tired , busy or wanting just to get home from an incident to notice what people are wearing at CP or what is under their PPE.

Our constant gripe is with uniforms (not the issue of our equipment officer) is the timely replacement of old PPE - still waiting for boots that I have had for 6 years and been on 'order' for 2 years and going into 3rd.
Helitak_670
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by Helitak_670 »

yes it is difficult to get ppe, however if you speak to the correct person things move along. Or do what we did and say that the brigade can't turn out due requiring replacement ppe. Watch and see your stuff arrive the next day.
philby
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by philby »

the only difference between VFRS and CFRS is the careers wear a dark blue work shirt and vollies are still in the polo.
WPXZBP

Post by WPXZBP »

Gohie wrote:Bulls brook recently made the transition from a BFB to a VFRS.
I thought Bullsbrook became a Volunteer Fire Service Brigade, not a VFRS.
Helitak_670
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by Helitak_670 »

philby vfrs are getting what the frs boys and girls wear

Yes bullsbrook was a Bfs brigade, now a VFRS, they have BA now, and will be getting road crash rescue next year. Bit hard to train everyone up at the same time.
WPXZBP

Post by WPXZBP »

http://www.wa.liberal.org.au/item/2987
Residents of Bullsbrook and neighbouring areas will be better protected during emergencies following the expansion of the local fire brigade.

Emergency Services Minister Rob Johnson today launched the Bullsbrook Volunteer Fire Service, which replaces the Volunteer Bush Fire Brigade.
ace of spades

Post by ace of spades »

Its interesting to see Kalamunda do this but I can't for the life of me understand why? Aren't they very "Pro" Volunteer. I mean they are on record as saying they don't want permies there so why try and mimick them. They should be proud to be Volunteer and display that. This isn't the first time either Kalamunda's Uniform has come in to question. Didn't they march in Permie replica eppilattues at the easter champs 4 or so years ago pre new vol eppilattues. Apologise in advance if that is incorrect.

I believe that there needs to be a distinct difference and be proud to wear a shirt that says Volunteer on it
WPXZBP

Post by WPXZBP »

Firstly let's cut the "them and us" arguments. This is not the forum for those sorts of arguments - take them to another forum, not WARSUG. [/angry teacher mode]

Secondly they don't march in "Permie replica eppilattues". Like all other teams at the championships, they march in their standard dress uniform as issued by FESA. (Obviously competing CFA Brigades march in their own dress uniform.)

Lastly if any VFRS Brigade has an issue with PPE it must be taken to their respective Area Manager via their office bearers. Issues in BFS/VFS/VES needs to be taken to their appropriate manager through their office bearers. Griping about it on WARSUG will do nothing to help.
Gohie

Post by Gohie »

Thanks WPXZBP I stand corrected and admonished. Bullsbrook is a VFS and not a VFRS. In my haste to post I made a mistake. With regards to PPE - it was not a gripe but a statement of one current problem that we hope might be rectified with our transfer to VFS. Yes we have always followed correct protocols with everything we do but it can be frustrating. This post is not a 'them & us" so please don't jump down my throat.

I get paged for an incident, I get dressed, I go and then come back to my family. I feel that is what it means to be part of a community - not the political aspects.
bohong

Post by bohong »

WPXZBP wrote: Secondly they don't march in "Permie replica eppilattues". Like all other teams at the championships, they march in their standard dress uniform as issued by FESA..
I wish to correct this statement. I have personelly seen a certain VFRS brigade marching at the Easter championships wearing CFRS eppaulettes. About 4 years ago. And the same brigade was also seen interstate wearing CFRS eppaulettes.

This discussion is about the applicable uniform being worn. As Ace od Spades says, they should be proud to wear the vollie uniform, not wear CFRS items or pick the Volunteer badges off their dress shirts. I know of many brigades that do this to 'look like' permies.

Not trying to start a S%^&t fight but the associations and FESA have agreed uniforms that are being rolled out (latest 24 Seven magazine), so how about we stick to what is issued and protect the vollie identitiy.

:lol:
Wazza Y

Post by Wazza Y »

Gohie wrote:Thanks WPXZBP I stand corrected and admonished. Bullsbrook is a VFS and not a VFRS. In my haste to post I made a mistake. With regards to PPE - it was not a gripe but a statement of one current problem that we hope might be rectified with our transfer to VFS. Yes we have always followed correct protocols with everything we do but it can be frustrating. This post is not a 'them & us" so please don't jump down my throat.

I get paged for an incident, I get dressed, I go and then come back to my family. I feel that is what it means to be part of a community - not the political aspects.
Please correct me if i'm wrong WPXZBP but Gohie I don't think he was having a go at your comments? Possibly someone else
observer
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by observer »

bohong wrote:
WPXZBP wrote: Secondly they don't march in "Permie replica eppilattues". Like all other teams at the championships, they march in their standard dress uniform as issued by FESA..
I wish to correct this statement. I have personelly seen a certain VFRS brigade marching at the Easter championships wearing CFRS eppaulettes. About 4 years ago. And the same brigade was also seen interstate wearing CFRS eppaulettes.

This discussion is about the applicable uniform being worn. As Ace od Spades says, they should be proud to wear the vollie uniform, not wear CFRS items or pick the Volunteer badges off their dress shirts. I know of many brigades that do this to 'look like' permies.

Not trying to start a S%^&t fight but the associations and FESA have agreed uniforms that are being rolled out (latest 24 Seven magazine), so how about we stick to what is issued and protect the vollie identitiy.

:lol:
Without knowing what team you are refering to, there are career f/f's who march with some teams at the Easter championships. I know of several career f/f who have also marched interstae with their respective teams. Some of these career f/f do wear their work eppaulettes when marching. If you PM me with the team(s) that were wearing CRFS eppaulettes I can confirm/deniy if there are career f/f's as part of that team.
kylep
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by kylep »

I'd be worrying more about the incorrect wearing (or lack of) PPE at incidents rather than minor uniform questions.

As it stands, there is a new uniform which all VFRS brigades should be issued. This I'm sure is what you would have seen at the recent incident.

There will always be reasons for and against identifying Career vs Vol FRS Firefighters. The easiest way to tell with PPE on is that if there is a brigade name on the helmet and tunic, then they are Vols, if not they are career. It would actually be good if the Career FFs could have a velcro badge to help figure out which crew they are on, just as they did a few years back with the magnetic vehicle signage.

I am on the side of there needn't be a difference in PPE/uniform between Career and Vol. Why do you need to know? As long as they can do the same work at an incident that's fine.

I'm constantly amazed at how members of this forum on one hand conform to the 'FESA' naming and umbrella - dissolving the identity of the services underneath and then on the other hand continue to act in an 'us and them' attitude, picking on your brothers and sisters in the TWO Fire Services. If you are that concerned about what you see of other members, why don't you go and ask those involved, rather than bring it onto a scanner forum?