FESA Commodore wagons

WA Department of Fire and Emergency Services (6AR and 6IP) (Including the Fire Services, SES & VMRS) and Department of Biodiversity, Conservation and Attractions

Moderator: bogged

Tom
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

FESA Commodore wagons

Post by Tom »

Hi Folks,

Just a question..

Who drives around in those FESA VY/VZ Commodore wagons that I see from time to time in the Metro area?

Are they front-line vehicles of just like an admin car.

I saw and photographed the one in Northam recently but wonder what purpose these vehicles serve.

I've also seen about 6-7 of them once parked at the FESA place in Belmont.

cheers

Tom
westernwedgey
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by westernwedgey »

I'd suggest that they are area commanders, station/duty/roster supervisors, instructors, general brass and the like... mostly white uniform
chrissss

Post by chrissss »

also seen vz red sedan full markings with vlb on roof
Tom
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by Tom »

G'day chrissss,

Yep I already have shots of that red 'DM CENTRAL' red VZ sedan. I think that's some kind of Supervisors car, they used to have a red BA Futura.

I see that one around Hay St a fair bit in the City.

rgds

Tom
Fastlane
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster
Amateur callsign: VK6FLMZ

Post by Fastlane »

westernwedgey wrote:I'd suggest that they are area commanders, station/duty/roster supervisors, instructors, general brass and the like... mostly white uniform
White Uniform? Uniforms within FESA are either grey shirt, blue shirt or brown shirt (SES) - no white.

Most managers have 4WD's - though theres always going to be exceptions about the place.
Millsy

Post by Millsy »

I've seen a blue BA falcon come past my house to a fire out karnup way.
ZO100_marto
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by ZO100_marto »

I remember seeing a red vehicle kitted out with lights etc which was the FESA chaplain, can't remember if it was a sedan or wagon though.

Have actually seen him arrive at an MVA with his lights and sirens on :shock: which I thought was a bit of a concern.

marto
WPXZBP

Post by WPXZBP »

With the new restructure Area Officers uniforms are still being worked on. I will let you all know when I do.

DM central vehicle pic is available at http://www.frsvols.asn.au/Competitions/ ... 6FRSDM.JPG It is used by a District Manager I imagine for the central district of Perth Metro.
ConstableCare
150+ posts
150+ posts

Re: FESA Commodore wagons

Post by ConstableCare »

Tom wrote:Hi Folks,

Just a question..

Who drives around in those FESA VY/VZ Commodore wagons that I see from time to time in the Metro area?

Are they front-line vehicles of just like an admin car.

I saw and photographed the one in Northam recently but wonder what purpose these vehicles serve.

I've also seen about 6-7 of them once parked at the FESA place in Belmont.

cheers

Tom
Tom,

From the many courses I have attended with staff from FESA, they are all Supervisors and Managers that have these "perks" to drive around in...

All have P2 status via a Portable Red Light - similar to the "Detective" Lights...

Cheers, CC
Tom
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by Tom »

G'day CC,

Are they restricted to WAPOL P2 status e.g. 20km/h over the posted limit and must come to a complete stop before proceeding thru red TCL's??

I've seen some with a little stick-on red/blue light. The ones I have seen are usually placed in the middle of the rood near the aerials.

They've got some sweet looking 4WD's..

cheers

Tom
Fastlane
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by Fastlane »

"Priority 2" is a WAPOL only guideline - its not written in law, so in answer to your question, no, there is no such restriction... in fact the terminology does not exist in the Fire Services.

.. however, if the speed you were doing is not considered safe, you can quite easily be done for reckless driving etc.. even 20kph over the posted speed limit often is not safe.

Just a note on vehicles - just because it has a red/blue light and is responding to a fire, does not necessarily mean the vehicle belongs to FESA - quite a few of them (possibly a majority out in the country) are local government and even private vehicles which have been authorised under the Road Traffic Act to drive under those conditions.

Also with regards to the chaplains vehicle, last time I saw it, it was a white station wagon with a red-only beacon, no siren.
Last edited by Fastlane on Tue May 23, 2006 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fastlane
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by Fastlane »

WPXZBP wrote:With the new restructure Area Officers uniforms are still being worked on. I will let you all know when I do.
I heard it will likely be the grey-ish shirt, with all Fire Services managers going the same way as they are all part of the "Operational Services" division now..
WPXZBP wrote:DM central vehicle pic is available at http://www.frsvols.asn.au/Competitions/ ... 6FRSDM.JPG It is used by a District Manager I imagine for the central district of Perth Metro.
Most DM positions are held by one person - with Perth Station having several Station Officers, there is a DM per-shift for that area.
ZO100_marto
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by ZO100_marto »

Fastlane wrote:Also with regards to the chaplains vehicle, last time I saw it, it was a white station wagon with a red-only beacon, no siren.
Good to hear :) Both the FESA and SJA chaplains play an important role but racing around to jobs isn't one of them :wink:
Fastlane
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by Fastlane »

ZO100_marto wrote:
Fastlane wrote:Also with regards to the chaplains vehicle, last time I saw it, it was a white station wagon with a red-only beacon, no siren.
Good to hear :) Both the FESA and SJA chaplains play an important role but racing around to jobs isn't one of them :wink:
Never know when you'll need some toasties or sausages in bread in a hurry though.... :lol:
WPXZBP

Post by WPXZBP »

Fastlane wrote:
ZO100_marto wrote:
Never know when you'll need some toasties or sausages in bread in a hurry though.... :lol:
Ron Wingate is the FESA Chaplain. He's a great bloke and always has time to chat. He'll also attend incidents where there's a fatality. There's a page about him at http://www.frsvols.asn.au/Chaplain.htm.