"Grim outlook for bushfires this summer"

WA Department of Fire and Emergency Services (6AR and 6IP) (Including the Fire Services, SES & VMRS) and Department of Biodiversity, Conservation and Attractions

Moderator: bogged

colin
150+ posts
150+ posts
Amateur callsign: VK6FITN
Scanners and Receivers: RTL2832U with RTL_Airband
Tait 8200

"Grim outlook for bushfires this summer"

Post by colin »

I guess if it makes the news it is official?

Nothing we didn't already know.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/-/wa ... is-summer/
Helitak_670
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Re: "Grim outlook for bushfires this summer"

Post by Helitak_670 »

Ok, POTENTIAL bad fire season.
I beg to differ about the fuel loadings, as its really a hit and miss in regards to how much "grass" was grown this winter. (OH and I have been around a lot of the Metro/southern WA recently) Yes its very dry at the moment. Its also very interesting to note how the Bureau of meteorology contradicts its predictions. If you have a look at the prospective rainfall and temperature outlook you will see that there is a greater than mean average rainfall for the SWLD, however if you go and have a look at the prediction on how much rain for Nov-Jan its less than 50% chance of greater than 25mm! So its going to be very interesting.
gkoutlis

Post by gkoutlis »

I fear the hype being made will further fuel the pyro-maniacs to want to light up....

G
George
WARSUG Moderator
VFRS Member

"I am not one who was born in the possession of knowledge. I am one who is fond of antiquity, and earnest in seeking it there." — Confucius

Any views expressed in the above post are my own and do not necessarily depict or reflect the views or opinions of DFES/FRS or VBFB.
colin
150+ posts
150+ posts
Tait 8200

Post by colin »

Likewise, doesn't look like much fuel out here, but there wasn't much in some of those paddocks in Toodyay either.

I was told earlier this week that the (I forget correct terms, so I paraphrase) ground moisture content is already below the figure were a fire would be expected to go out overnight. - If I recall correctly that isn't supposed to happen until Jan of Feb? (I may be wrong on these dates.)

It would be nice to think that we have already had all the pyro's (and big fires) for the season....

Ahem, I'm awake now....
Helitak_670
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by Helitak_670 »

KBDI
Bickley 81 Forrest Drought Factor 7.5
Jandakot 87 9.0
Mundaring 93 6.9
Northam 126 8.8
Perth Airport 79 8.3
Perth Metro 73 6.8
York 129 9.0

SDI Pearce is about 145
SDI Bickley is about 102
colin
150+ posts
150+ posts
Tait 8200

Post by colin »

cool, - Where do the numbers come from? (A reference, not how they are calculated:-)
VK6TNC
Amateur callsign: VK6TNC
Scanners and Receivers: Icom R-10

Post by VK6TNC »

colin wrote:cool, - Where do the numbers come from? (A reference, not how they are calculated:-)
Keetch-Byram Drought Index (KBDI)
A numerical value reflecting the dryness of soils, deep forest litter, logs and living vegetation, and expressed as a scale from 0 - 200 where the number represents the amounts of rainfall (mm) to return the soil to saturation.

Hope this helps...