Severe weather alerts

WA Department of Fire and Emergency Services (6AR and 6IP) (Including the Fire Services, SES & VMRS) and Department of Biodiversity, Conservation and Attractions

Moderator: bogged

dlcat1
150+ posts
150+ posts

Re: Severe weather alerts

Post by dlcat1 »

Stupid question but I'm hiding from the heat over east. Any sign of that ex cyclone yet?
WPXZBP

Post by WPXZBP »

dlcat1 wrote:Stupid question but I'm hiding from the heat over east. Any sign of that ex cyclone yet?
It's been downgraded to a low pressure system.
Sgt Seedy

Post by Sgt Seedy »

WadeH wrote:St Seedy, no need to be nasty. It was a feasible question by Gohie and no, we are not aware of Wannaroo having any special strike force requirement by FESA. If so, that is news to us.

Please treat all questions politly and treat other forum members as you would like to be treated.

Cheers.
nasty????? :? all smiles here mate!

simply answering Gohies concerns..
dlcat1
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by dlcat1 »

WPXZBP wrote:
dlcat1 wrote:Stupid question but I'm hiding from the heat over east. Any sign of that ex cyclone yet?
It's been downgraded to a low pressure system.
Cheers :) Looked at the radar a little while ago and it looked just like a normal Perth summer day....clear as and hot.
Wazza Y

Post by Wazza Y »

I'm curious as to who decides on the fire danger rating? I thought the Bureau of Meteorology advises FESA and the shires on them but all I heard yesterday was Possible chance of Extreme to Catastrophic fire dangers inland? Can the shires also amend these ratings for their own area's? if so does anyone know why Wanneroo's rating was much higher than surrounding area's?
Wazza Y

Post by Wazza Y »

Can someone keep an eye out for that rain from the Ex-cyclone? it seems to have disapeared along with the Cyclone itself. Each new forecast from BOM say less and less chance of severe weather, now it's a small chance of thunderstorms? Let's hope we don't get the wind without the rain. :?
dlcat1
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by dlcat1 »

Wazza Y wrote:Can someone keep an eye out for that rain from the Ex-cyclone? it seems to have disapeared along with the Cyclone itself. Each new forecast from BOM say less and less chance of severe weather, now it's a small chance of thunderstorms? Let's hope we don't get the wind without the rain. :?
That was what I was thinking. It's a fair few hours old but the satellite image seems to show most of the cloud heading off southish of Cape Leeuwin. The Serpentine radar won't see much unless its huge beyond 200km or so, and the storm was 270km off the coast last time I checked, so I'm guessing it might show up in a few hours.
Sgt Seedy

Post by Sgt Seedy »

Wazza Y wrote:I'm curious as to who decides on the fire danger rating? I thought the Bureau of Meteorology advises FESA and the shires on them but all I heard yesterday was Possible chance of Extreme to Catastrophic fire dangers inland? Can the shires also amend these ratings for their own area's? if so does anyone know why Wanneroo's rating was much higher than surrounding area's?

yea Wazza local government can change there own rating depending on Fuels and weather conditions.... I'm not exactly sure who makes the descision with it's the Community Fire Manager or Rangers though.

Wanneroo has very high winds with very hot conditions today, hense the current ratings.

stay cool mate! :D
Wazza Y

Post by Wazza Y »

Sgt Seedy wrote:
Wazza Y wrote:I'm curious as to who decides on the fire danger rating? I thought the Bureau of Meteorology advises FESA and the shires on them but all I heard yesterday was Possible chance of Extreme to Catastrophic fire dangers inland? Can the shires also amend these ratings for their own area's? if so does anyone know why Wanneroo's rating was much higher than surrounding area's?

yea Wazza local government can change there own rating depending on Fuels and weather conditions.... I'm not exactly sure who makes the descision with it's the Community Fire Manager or Rangers though.

Wanneroo has very high winds with very hot conditions today, hense the current ratings.

stay cool mate! :D
Ok, that makes sense, thanks Sgt Seedy. As far as keeping cool, it's too hot up here so i'm heading to Rocko
padfoot

Post by padfoot »

Sgt Seedy wrote:
Gohie wrote:Wanneroo must be in its own unique completely different weather / climate system/conditions to the rest of the metro area. If still in catastrophic fire conditions (drove past your warning signs several times yesterday) how can you task resources to York yesterday? Isn't this putting pressure on other surrounding brigades? Rhetorical questions, no need for answers.
Wanneroo has had extra appliances given to them by FESA and are the strike team for the metro and outer area of Perth. Considering you are not aware of that i doubt you are aware of the weather conditions outside your window..... it may not even rain today.

Even DEC North Coastal are mobilising fixed wing bombers to ALL there fires no matter how small.
Wanneroo were allocated extra resources as a task force for Perth North Metro as was an unknown Career station.
Gosnells were allocated extra resources as part of this pre-planning and a Career unit based at "I believe" Hope Valley for Perth South metro.
8)
Sgt Seedy

Post by Sgt Seedy »

padfoot wrote:
Sgt Seedy wrote:
Gohie wrote:Wanneroo must be in its own unique completely different weather / climate system/conditions to the rest of the metro area. If still in catastrophic fire conditions (drove past your warning signs several times yesterday) how can you task resources to York yesterday? Isn't this putting pressure on other surrounding brigades? Rhetorical questions, no need for answers.
Wanneroo has had extra appliances given to them by FESA and are the strike team for the metro and outer area of Perth. Considering you are not aware of that i doubt you are aware of the weather conditions outside your window..... it may not even rain today.

Even DEC North Coastal are mobilising fixed wing bombers to ALL there fires no matter how small.
Wanneroo were allocated extra resources as a task force for Perth North Metro as was an unknown Career station.
Gosnells were allocated extra resources as part of this pre-planning and a Career unit based at "I believe" Hope Valley for Perth South metro.
8)
thanks for extra info 'padfoot' : )
Gohie

Post by Gohie »

I didn't realise I would generate such conjecture. Bullsbrook (Pearce) if you track the weather over the past 24 hrs has by far the highest temperature in the metro area. We would be subjected to same wind conditions too, but with the extra temperature. It is located due east of Wanneroo on the coastal plain & Hills. Within its area it has a Zone 2A automatic response situation. Yet to my knowledge we did not know that Wanneroo has been assigned extra resources. Real secretive stuff when we are all supposed to be volunteering for same outcome. It is such an abyss we operate in at time. I am not finger pointing at all, just stating a point
Sgt Seedy

Post by Sgt Seedy »

i agree Gohie! you would think most brigades would be notified so they know what resources they have at there disposal!

but i spose thats above the head of the vollie and comes from powers higher above...
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

padfoot wrote:
Sgt Seedy wrote:

8)
5x LTs to Wanneroo and Gosnells each, Perth South CFRS task force is currently standing by at Success FS with 2x LT and and old BFS 2.4.
dlcat1
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by dlcat1 »

I don't know.... I can see where people are coming from saying that it would be nice to know where resources are, but I think it's not something anyone should get worried about.

FESA is going to move units (and crews maybe??) around to where they think they are going to be most useful, and I'm assuming it's impractical to tell everyone each time this happens. I'm guessing Wanneroo, rather than Bullsbrook or Quinns Rock or anywhere else where chosen as they can go north to support these areas or back south or east if the need arises. Might also be Wanneroo has more facilities to hold these extra units?