How fast ??

WA Department of Fire and Emergency Services (6AR and 6IP) (Including the Fire Services, SES & VMRS) and Department of Biodiversity, Conservation and Attractions

Moderator: bogged

treeny
150+ posts
150+ posts

Re: How fast ??

Post by treeny »

From what i gather, the big Scanias are turbo charged staight 6 diesels (with pistons that are about the size of an average persons head....). The Allison fully automatic gear box also helps. No gear changing required, just push the button for drive.
MELVILLE 80
The worst in nature brings out the best in us! STATE EMERGENCY SERVICE WE SERVE
macca

Post by macca »

[why doses the little truck follow the big one I thought it would be faster then the big one and get there quiker[/quote]

All of the above are correct but the main reason is that the pump is there to protect the LT i case of a accident while in motions. The pump is also a lot more visible to all those mung beans on the road as mentioned previously.
pacestick
150+ posts
150+ posts
Scanners and Receivers: Pro handheld scanner
Bearcat scanner
Wuoxun

Post by pacestick »

"sinbin" did you do your course in Northam? Because Ive Just Done That course in northam a few weeks back.
Was A really Good course to find out all the laws and SOP's
Volunteer BFS.
VK6FIRE
Sinbin

Post by Sinbin »

pacestick wrote:"sinbin" did you do your course in Northam? Because Ive Just Done That course in northam a few weeks back.
Was A really Good course to find out all the laws and SOP's
no we did it on station for the 4 of us that wanted to do it
Bunbury VFRS
CP11 & LT300
bakerboy

Post by bakerboy »

been told first hand that the scania has reached a dollar forty before :wink:
Infernal
Scanners and Receivers: Uniden UBC60XLT

Post by Infernal »

treeny wrote:From what i gather, the big Scanias are turbo charged staight 6 diesels (with pistons that are about the size of an average persons head....). The Allison fully automatic gear box also helps. No gear changing required, just push the button for drive.
Ive rebuilt a 93M Scania engine, which was a straight 6 turbo, you must know some people with small heads, the pistons in that are about the side of the base of a king brown stubbie.

From what I can see from some new pix thy are now using the Scania P130, which has 2 engine types, the 13Ltr and 9Ltr, Which can offer up to 420Hp, then again when it comes to Diesels, they are made for work not speed, I dont doubt that you can get a Scania up to 140 most likely bob tail semi truck, but it would take a while to get there, specially with the loads carried around on the back of a pump.

From the ambulance side of things, we were given the general rule of Plus 30, I dont think i ever got that far over the speed limit on P1, as has been said, its what you feel safe driving, and what the conditions permit.
SmashedXR6T

Post by SmashedXR6T »

WPXZBP wrote:The term "safe and expedient" comes to mind.
Wes is correct, back in the VTEC driving days it was safe and expedient... These days it is now define as 'resonable care' was it resonsable to travel at that speed, was it responsable to run the red light at a traffic intersection, was it resonsable care to travel on the wrong side of the road, was it resonable that the driver gave consideration to the actions of other motorist.

Under regulation 281 "excemption for drivers of emergency vehicle (other)" of the road traffic code of 2000 states;
A provision of these regulations does not apply to the driver of an emergency vehicle that is not being used for official duties by a police officer if —
(a) in the circumstances —
(i) the driver is taking reasonable care; and
(ii) it is reasonable that the provision should not apply;
and
(b) the vehicle is a motor vehicle that is moving and the vehicle is displaying a blue or red flashing light or sounding an alarm.
dlcat1
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by dlcat1 »

AO11912 wrote:I dont doubt that you can get a Scania up to 140 most likely bob tail semi truck, but it would take a while to get there, specially with the loads carried around on the back of a pump.

From the ambulance side of things, we were given the general rule of Plus 30, I dont think i ever got that far over the speed limit on P1, as has been said, its what you feel safe driving, and what the conditions permit.
Can vouch for the Scania 93M heavy rescue appliance (NSW build) can hit 145 down the freeway so it's definitely possible but I doubt you'd get a loaded heavy tanker (3.4 or 4.4) much over the ton even rolling down a steep hill in neutral, although they feel very fast at any speed in traffic :)
kwn

Post by kwn »

dlcat1 wrote:
AO11912 wrote:I dont doubt that you can get a Scania up to 140 most likely bob tail semi truck, but it would take a while to get there, specially with the loads carried around on the back of a pump.

Can vouch for the Scania 93M heavy rescue appliance (NSW build) can hit 145 down the freeway so it's definitely possible but I doubt you'd get a loaded heavy tanker (3.4 or 4.4) much over the ton even rolling down a steep hill in neutral, although they feel very fast at any speed in traffic :)

4.4 with an empty road and a long run up can hit 120 with out a problem. Not that you want to that often. Our brigade sets 20 km/h over as a guide. But most of the time you don't need to even get near to this. They are not race cars, they are trucks that are operating near to their capacity under normal road conditions. It may get you to the fire ground seconds earlier but what will that achieve? Half the time you will get there and be stuck at a control point waiting for tasking...
dlcat1
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by dlcat1 »

kwn wrote:...but what will that achieve? Half the time you will get there and be stuck at a control point waiting for tasking...
wise in the ways of the force, I mean fire, you are.
floppy
Scanners and Receivers: Sangean ATS 818CS

Post by floppy »

Albany City, quite a few years ago now, issued a statement to all bush fire brigade that they were to obey all speed limits and all road rules
Last edited by floppy on Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kempa

Post by Kempa »

New series 3 HP and series 5 MP have a 310hp 9L, 5 cylinder turbo engine.

the series 4 medium pump has a turbo charged 8 or 6 cylinder im not sure which and is around a 9L as well. doesn't take all that long to get to 130km/h and thats as far as the speedo goes!
philby
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by philby »

Hey Kempa,
Very modest of you only having Bassendean VFRS on your signature. :D
Kempa

Post by Kempa »

ah yes i will need to work out how to change that
6stbase
Scanners and Receivers: Uniden USDS100

Post by 6stbase »

4 Series Should be a 9L 6Cyl Turbocharged. DSC9 I think
6ST Base is clear, is there a mobile calling on this channel?