No 'gawking' at a fire in South Australia

WA Department of Fire and Emergency Services (6AR and 6IP) (Including the Fire Services, SES & VMRS) and Department of Biodiversity, Conservation and Attractions

Moderator: bogged

fire&rescuetraining

Re: No 'gawking' at a fire in South Australia

Post by fire&rescuetraining »

gkoutlis wrote:
fire&rescuetraining wrote:Having had an incident recently where I was trying to get some 20 odd vehicles out of a dangerous situation at a fire that was threatening houses, we had the road blocked and the trapped vehicles had to reverse about 100m to get out of the danger zone. Those waiting further up at the road block were shouting abuse and even trying to drive through the block, thus preventing the vehicles in danger from reversing out. Small spot fires were starting around the vehicles in danger - but no matter to those still giving abuse waiting at the road block, most of whom it was later determined were people coming to look!

My point: It did not matter if there was one law or one hundred laws to deal with the situation - there was no police available at the time to enforce the law - not for three hours!

What has happened to people's common sense? Why must a simple reasonable request (in the interest of their own safety too!) be met with instant anger and abuse? Laws do not change a person's attitude!!! Perhaps education would be better?
I'm guessing this is the incident where Kensington responded to that scrub/bush fire in Midland last week or so ago?

G

No - down south near Bunbury...... My work takes me all over the state, and interstate occasionally. I sometimes end up in the right (or is that wrong) place at the right time! Don't get on here often, as regularly have access difficulties to phone coverage, let alone internet.
brocks

Post by brocks »

its the old story of curiosity killed the cat,people will always come and gawk at fires, car accidents or natural disarters (sorry about spelling ) :oops: its in most of our make up to have a good gawk and see whats going on im guilty of it,and probably alot of other people on here are too,but i can honestly say that i have never impeaded or been a hinderance to any emergancy vehicle that was at or travelling to an incident.like fireandrescuetraining said its just common sense and curtosy to be a safe distance back when emergancy crews are trying to do their job if this happens then gawking shouldnt be a major problem,but if people over step the mark then they should leave immediately once told by emergancy crews to do so,key word common sense... :wink:
observer
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by observer »

Most people on here have good intents when stopping to look at an incident (fire, accident etc). However there is a section of the community who live in their own litle world, and believe they have the right to do what they want when they want. Unfortunately we do find that at large fires, people come from all corners to witness the event, and they tend to get there quickly. A proportion of these people will park where they please (and not always in a legal position, let alone a safe position) and will remain there until directed by police to move on. This at times has created access/egress problems for fire fighting vehicles. These people will refuse to move if directed by a f/f. Remember its their "right" to be there.

It has been mentioned that police can prevent this by setting up road blocks. This sometimes works, and sometimes it works. All depends on the location of the incident and how many routes there is into the area, and also the avaliablility of the police. It is not uncommon for alot of gawkers to get to the incident before and effective police road block has been setup.

I have heard of and have witnessed incidents where trucks were unable to get down streets because they were blocked by cars parked either side gawking. I have had a discussion with a driver, who pulled up at an accident. He left his car and walked to the incident. I stopped him at the edge of the cold zone (some 150-200m away from teh accident) and said he couldn't enter. He's reply was "I have been waiting for 3 hours in this traffic jam, so I have the right to have a look" and proceeded on. It was only the intervention from the police that stopped him.

It is people like this at who the law is aimed at. Luckly it doesn't happen that often. However it only takes the actions of a few to destroy it for everyone.
Zebedee
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6DB

Post by Zebedee »

observer wrote:It is people like this at who the law is aimed at. Luckly it doesn't happen that often. However it only takes the actions of a few to destroy it for everyone.
Agreed. However, I'd much rather any laws be used to target the idiot factor like the person you mentioned above, rather than introduce yet another "just ban it all" law.
Doug Bell (Zebedee) VK6DB
WARSUG Forum Administrator.

It is very dark.
You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Tyranus
Amateur callsign: VK6FWDH
Scanners and Receivers: UBC93XLT

Post by Tyranus »

It's at times like those when fire trucks can't gain access that my favourite line from Golden Eye comes into play... Use the bumper, that's what it's for!
Stirling SES
Team Leader (Stirling 53)
Vertical Rescue Team Member
K9 7 Support

VK6FWDH
ex-Darlington FB
WARSUG Demi-God I mean Mod
If stupidity got me into this mess, why can't it get me out.
written_ficton
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by written_ficton »

Tyranus wrote:It's at times like those when fire trucks can't gain access that my favourite line from Golden Eye comes into play... Use the bumper, that's what it's for!
Anyone remember Third Watch?

Where Jimmy, from Station 55 I believe got blocked in by a car, they simply rammed it!

Intentions are there, but it shouldnt be covered just for firefighters, it needs to be covered in all aspects, police / fire / ambulance / transit officers / Rangers etc etc
I've closed the door!
firefighter_wannabe
Scanners and Receivers: Uniden UBC73XLT

Any good online scanner!

Post by firefighter_wannabe »

Why gawk when you can join your local volunteer fire brigade :wink:
Natatha

Post by Natatha »

You're going to have gawkers at any emergency scene. It's a matter of controlling your scene, as well as closing it off to the general public that plays the biggest role in this case. If you don't have the ability to do that correctly, then what right do you have to fine someone?

Now, granted, it's not ALWAYS possible to close off a scene completely. I mean, you aren't going to put someone every 3 meters saying, "Guard this, don't let anyone who isn't authorized in." There just simply isn't the manpower for that. Though, it should be fairly obvious for anyone that there is an emergency scene, and to stay away.

Now, I'm sure policies and everything is different 'down under', but here (Depending on what type of zone, residential, business/commercial, industrial) the police are usually in charge of closing areas off during an emergency. For my department, we rely HEAVILY upon the local PD to close off the area, since we simply do not get the manpower to do it, at least not initially. They will, usually, get there first and close off the street, sidewalks, as well as any areas where people could sneak through. Then, they stay and keep people away for the duration of the incident, leaving us the ability to focus on the fire, and anything to do with it.

On a side note, anyone caught gawking at a motor-vehicle-accident (MVA, or 10-50) on a major highway, or road should be cited, and fined heavily. Especially if they cause any sort of accident. We've had this happen a few times, where someone is gawking, doesn't see someone stopping ahead, and runs into the back, or goes into the ditch because they tried to avoid the car ahead. True, they get cited for "Inattentive Driving", but should also have another fine on top of it, for gawking at an emergency scene/just being a general tool.
written_ficton wrote:
Tyranus wrote:It's at times like those when fire trucks can't gain access that my favourite line from Golden Eye comes into play... Use the bumper, that's what it's for!
Anyone remember Third Watch?

Where Jimmy, from Station 55 I believe got blocked in by a car, they simply rammed it!

Intentions are there, but it shouldnt be covered just for firefighters, it needs to be covered in all aspects, police / fire / ambulance / transit officers / Rangers etc etc
YES! I loved that episode. Just went to show, when they need to go, they need to go. Also, the episode with the BMW parked in front of the fire hydrant, and they threw the hose through back window.
Mike Kelly

Fire Explorer 881
Altoona Fire Department
Altoona, Wisconsin, USA
floppy
Scanners and Receivers: Sangean ATS 818CS

Post by floppy »

gawkers should have their car crushed

regardless of whether they are legally parked or whatever

and if they are not in a car
they should be made to buy a car
and then have it crushed

Nev
nra555
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by nra555 »

floppy wrote:gawkers should have their car crushed

regardless of whether they are legally parked or whatever

and if they are not in a car
they should be made to buy a car
and then have it crushed

Nev
thats a very narrow minded way of looking at it.
so youve never looked at a ambulance/police car/fire truck when passing by an incident? if yes, then you should go crush your car. let me know how that turns out for you....

looking at a scene, and creating a hazard/obstructing emergency workers are two very different things.

yes, it a public place and its a free country, but its going to be a very dangerous public place if you dont GTFO the way...
There is absolutely nothing wrong with watching emergency workers do their job, as long as you dont create a bigger job for them or stop them from doing their job.
emergency workers have an important job to do, and want to do that job as safely and as quickly as possible.

but I think it would be a good idea that all emergency workers SHOULD be able to issue move on notices (similar to police) , for the few heros that decide to impede em. workers. because at the end of the day, your never going to stop people from watching, curiosity is a human instinct but when it comes down to it, public safety is a priority.
PRC-555
NRA-555

nra.org.au - join today to make UHF CB a more enjoyable band to use!
floppy
Scanners and Receivers: Sangean ATS 818CS

Post by floppy »

nra555 wrote:thats a very narrow minded way of looking at it.
I spent 12 years in a bush fire brigade
the "narrow minded way" is the result of dealing with plenty of gawkers
but I think it would be a good idea that all emergency workers SHOULD be able to issue move on notices (similar to police) , for the few heros that decide to impede em. workers. because at the end of the day, your never going to stop people from watching, curiosity is a human instinct but when it comes down to it, public safety is a priority.
people ignore move on notices until it affects their back pocket
looking at a scene, and creating a hazard/obstructing emergency workers are two very different things.
the problem is that the public and the emergency workers have very different views on that
as evidenced by this thread

Nev