Hino 2.4

WA Department of Fire and Emergency Services (6AR and 6IP) (Including the Fire Services, SES & VMRS) and Department of Biodiversity, Conservation and Attractions

Moderator: bogged

CobCob

Hino 2.4

Post by CobCob »

I think the CFRS Hino 2.4s have been in service for a couple of years now. I have seen them in action at various fires around the metro area. My understanding and correct me if im wrong is they are not a live drive. I am interested to know what peoples opinion of them are. I also heard that they rescued a few Lt's and 2.4s at a job around Success on Sunday.
To me they look like they do a good job.
Fastlane
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster
Amateur callsign: VK6FLMZ

Re: Hino 2.4

Post by Fastlane »

CobCob wrote:I think the CFRS Hino 2.4s have been in service for a couple of years now. I have seen them in action at various fires around the metro area. My understanding and correct me if im wrong is they are not a live drive. I am interested to know what peoples opinion of them are. I also heard that they rescued a few Lt's and 2.4s at a job around Success on Sunday.
To me they look like they do a good job.
They are not live drive. The career guys specifically did not want an appliance with a PTO pump.
Helitak_670
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by Helitak_670 »

The Hino's that were used in NSW didn't last for too long as they were not the best truck for the job, thats why you see Isuzu's everywhere around Australia.
kwn

Post by kwn »

South Coogee 2.4 did get stuck in the sand on sunday under the pwer lines. Hope valley LT went to their aid. They also got bogged. Kwinana South LT2 pulled out Hope valley LT. Canningvale 2.4 went to the aid of South Coogee 2.4 and got stuck as well. The shire then got a Tractor in to sort out both 2.4s.
CobCob

Post by CobCob »

I was under the impression that the hinos handled the sand alot better than the Isuzus. I was also told it was only the isuzu that was rescued by the tractor and that the hino also rescued a DM from trouble.
macca

Post by macca »

how about if they put super singles on these types of trucks you would see they would handle much better in the sand than what they are currently doing. The FESA techs even recon they should be fitted with super singles.
observer
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by observer »

Helitak_670 wrote:The Hino's that were used in NSW didn't last for too long as they were not the best truck for the job, thats why you see Isuzu's everywhere around Australia.
Not true. There are plenty of new Hino's used as 2.4 & 3.4 tankers in Victoria and SA. They have been using Hino's and Isuzu's for a very long time.
BuddahFRS
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by BuddahFRS »

macca wrote:how about if they put super singles on these types of trucks you would see they would handle much better in the sand than what they are currently doing. The FESA techs even recon they should be fitted with super singles.
i think all of the 2.4U Career all have super singles on them, i know our truck now has super singles and most other HSR/GPA/2.4R/2.4U/3.4R/3.4U/4.4 all have super singles on them
----BUDDAH VFRS----
chrissss

Post by chrissss »

I don't know where you have your info from but as far as I know only one truck in the metro has super singles on it unless since Sunday all other 2.4s south of the river got some on them. You do know what super singles are right?
BuddahFRS
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by BuddahFRS »

chrissss wrote:I don't know where you have your info from but as far as I know only one truck in the metro has super singles on it unless since Sunday all other 2.4s south of the river got some on them. You do know what super singles are right?
yeah super singles are the wide tread tyres they put on the front of the trucks. instead of the skinny tyres for hill areas.
----BUDDAH VFRS----
treeny
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by treeny »

you can also get super singles that go on the rear to eliminate dual tyres. some semi trailers have them. not sure if this is what chrisss is referring to.
MELVILLE 80
The worst in nature brings out the best in us! STATE EMERGENCY SERVICE WE SERVE
chrissss

Post by chrissss »

Super singles are a wider tyre all around eliminating the dual rear Tyres as treeny said. I know some brigades have put on wider spec front Tyres to give the truck a better chance through sand getting rid of the standard cheese cutters and sort of making the wheeltrack the same. As I said currently only one truck in the metro is running super singles all round.
BuddahFRS
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by BuddahFRS »

chrissss wrote:Super singles are a wider tyre all around eliminating the dual rear Tyres as treeny said. I know some brigades have put on wider spec front Tyres to give the truck a better chance through sand getting rid of the standard cheese cutters and sort of making the wheeltrack the same. As I said currently only one truck in the metro is running super singles all round.
ah ok. i didnt know that one, i know that our truck has only super singles on the front and duals on the back, this has made a big difference when in sand.
----BUDDAH VFRS----
scrounger

Post by scrounger »

On the subject of Hino's and Isuzu's, we have Hino 4WD trucks [mostly] on the mine site that I work at [15 years, mineral sands], I can definatly say that they are very tolerant to abuse and neglect from the workers as they get plenty of it. On the subject of tyres, I have been involved in my local country fire brigade for a while now and our local 2.4 has super single tyres all round, [big 385/65/22.5 size], they are very good as the truck will easily match a land cruiser offroad in all conditions, also gives a much smoother ride with lowered air pressures offroad. There are several other trucks my area that have them as well, all are in areas with plenty of coastal sand plain country. I would love to hear from anyone with info of other brigades with trucks that have super singles as well. cheers.
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by newbie »

Super singles are great in sand and the duels are good for the hills areas, another pro for the duels is if you get a flat you can still get out of the area if need be but with the super singles it's game over for moving unless you want to do some serious damage to your rims.