Swan Valley BFB

WA Department of Fire and Emergency Services (6AR and 6IP) (Including the Fire Services, SES & VMRS) and Department of Biodiversity, Conservation and Attractions

Moderator: bogged

philby
150+ posts
150+ posts

Re: Swan Valley BFB

Post by philby »

The question should be raised why Basso 2nd and Guildford have BA?
rich

Post by rich »

east gidge have a 1.4r, 2 light tankers and a 7.2 .
Tyranus
Amateur callsign: VK6FWDH
Scanners and Receivers: UBC93XLT

Post by Tyranus »

If Structural is part of what you do i.e you're VFRS or you're a BFB that is providing structural support and in some cases likely to be the first on the scene for a while then BA is required. What happens if there's a fire in Ellenbrook while Midland are at a Rescue and Malaga are dealing with another fire in the area, it'd be Bassendean and another station that would need to respond.
When I visited Guildford at their station open day they told me they had some DBA's as such they would need BA to assist in these fires, locations such as the Guildford Hotel are well within Bassendean 2nd's and Guildford's area and so there should be nothing stopping them from providing assistance if they have a crew. If BA was taken away from Guildford and Bassendean 2nd you may as well give them white trucks and make them an inner metro BFB.
Stirling SES
Team Leader (Stirling 53)
Vertical Rescue Team Member
K9 7 Support

VK6FWDH
ex-Darlington FB
WARSUG Demi-God I mean Mod
If stupidity got me into this mess, why can't it get me out.
macca

Post by macca »

philby wrote:The question should be raised why Basso 2nd and Guildford have BA?
The answer to your question is, there VFRS and the last time I checked they were part of the fire and rescue service and all FRS appliances carrie BA. I not going to get into any slinging matches but that's the answer to your question.
macca

Post by macca »

Tyranus wrote:. What happens if there's a fire in Ellenbrook while Midland are at a Rescue and Malaga are dealing with another fire in the area, it'd be Bassendean and another station that would need to respond.
Tyranus, I do agree with what your say but I i'm not sure what you mean by another station??? do you mean a FRS station or Bush Fire Brigade? Within the metro area or a zone 1 or 2 a career station will always be back up by another career station during the week days or VFRS depending on how quick they can turn out. Armadale 2nd and Rockingham 2nd for instance still back up there career station but on the weekends the vols are the only back up unless the job gets upgraded by the snap and they need more career stations to attend.

The BFS will always attend, dont get me wrong but only if its in there area. If the job requires BA, then there will always be a 2 pump turn out from the FRS and the BFS will only be there as support. I know some people might not like what I have said but that's the truth and it wont ever change until fesa joins all fire services and becomes one big fire service.
Tyranus

Post by Tyranus »

FRS. So in my example maybe Bassendean and Welshpool or Belmont. All 3 stations are a significant distance away!
Stirling SES
K9 7 Support

VK6FWDH
ex-Darlington FB
macca

Post by macca »

Tyranus wrote:FRS. So in my example maybe Bassendean and Welshpool or Belmont. All 3 stations are a significant distance away!

Yah mate spot on the monie
rich

Post by rich »

there is also wangara that would turn out and if all those stations were out on a job there would be another manning their stations covering them while they are out plus also west swan would get called anyway as they have BA so can deal with things to like they have done in the past if no frs was available
Tyranus

Post by Tyranus »

indeed West Swan would be called at the moment because of their BA. Darlington will get called to a house fire in Darlington but there isn't a lot that can be done by us other than general asset protection if nearby houses are being threatened. Or bush is being burnt because of embers etc.
Stirling SES
K9 7 Support

VK6FWDH
ex-Darlington FB
macca

Post by macca »

Tyranus wrote:indeed West Swan would be called at the moment because of their BA. Darlington will get called to a house fire in Darlington but there isn't a lot that can be done by us other than general asset protection if nearby houses are being threatened. Or bush is being burnt because of embers etc.

Tyranus you are correct. Rich regardless, there will always be a FRS station backing up a FRS station no matter where they have to come from. there will always be a FRS station at a job that requires BA no matter what. Thats just how it is. Rich, I'm not sure what you mean about your statement about "thats the way west swan have done it when FRS are not around" I think you need to re- think what you have just said. There is no way FESA would let a job that requires BA, that a FRS appliance not attend with in a zone 1 or 2 incident. would never happen. There would always be a FRS appliance on the way.
BuddahFRS
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by BuddahFRS »

Link Removed

here is the link to SOP 1 - Mobilising.

with all structual incidents. unless its a First Alarm. there must be 2 Pumps or more at the incident.

when ever there is a report of a structual fire, there is always two stations mobilised.

i am not 100% sure what the role is with BFB Brigades with BA.

Moderator edit: No point in putting in links behind a username and password. Only FESA volunteers are able to view it. By all means direct those that have access to take a look at the SOP on the extranet and if they PM for a link supply it. This goes for any organisation's SOP's if they're behind a form of Authentication then they're there for a reason.
----BUDDAH VFRS----
firekel

Post by firekel »

macca wrote:
Tyranus wrote:indeed West Swan would be called at the moment because of their BA. Darlington will get called to a house fire in Darlington but there isn't a lot that can be done by us other than general asset protection if nearby houses are being threatened. Or bush is being burnt because of embers etc.

Tyranus you are correct. Rich regardless, there will always be a FRS station backing up a FRS station no matter where they have to come from. there will always be a FRS station at a job that requires BA no matter what. Thats just how it is. Rich, I'm not sure what you mean about your statement about "thats the way west swan have done it when FRS are not around" I think you need to re- think what you have just said. There is no way FESA would let a job that requires BA, that a FRS appliance not attend with in a zone 1 or 2 incident. would never happen. There would always be a FRS appliance on the way.
Gents as a current active member and ex Captain of West Swan, I can clarify the we have attended numerouse jobs were BA has been in use offensively at fires (Structure/Mobile property and scrub) with no CFRS backup......... and then again we have had plenty of property fire were it has only be West Swan and either one or the other from Wangara/Basso/Malaga/Midland. Generally, as for many Vol brigades in the metro area, during buisness hours it can be difficult for a full response so West Swan and 2 CFRS stations turn out.

But who really cares....... There is a customer whom requires a service, does it matter if its VOl. or Career, Red or White trucks as long it is delivered competently and safe?
written_ficton wrote:Thanks Tryanus, thought as much. Must be a huge loss for West Swan to loose the BA status once Ellenbrook opens up?
Thanks W_F..... we arn't going out without a fight.

We currently the 3rd busiest Vol brigade in the state with 3 appliances (3.4U and 2 LTS), 25 competent active members and several DBA's...... we are also a Fire Service Brigade NOT BFS or VFRS (But you will only find us as a BFB?).

Just to Clarify, We have always supported the establishment of a CFRS brigade in the Swan Valley since 1999 when it was first promised to the community, however our original question to FESA management is "What is our role once its in place"........ For 10 years NO one within the big wheel of FESA has had the Balls or Authority (Acting positions, just like Hollywood -some promisis delivered may qualify for a grammy) to give us a straight honest answer.

Here's a question that no doubt raise a bit of discussion..........

Why are not all brigades issued with BA regardless of BFB, FS, VFRS, CFRS, Location, HMA or Risk.
ALL smoke is toxic, Is my Health not as important as someone whom attends the same types of incidents as I do wether I turn up in a Red or White truck, Vol or Career, or managed by FESA or LG

I feel you and I know the answers already (Cost, Mangement, training etc) and some briagdes wouldn't need or want or justify it however it is very close to becoming the year 2010 so why can we not deliver a modern Fire service Vol or Career with modern ppe/equipment/appliances/training to the community regardless if you live in the CBD, outer metropliatian or Regoinal areas.

Merry Christmas to all

Be Safe if responding

Oh....... these are my views and not West Swan Brigades
pumps

Post by pumps »

Well said Kel...
There will always be a role for BFS or VFRS brigades with BA, on many occasions West Swan have been the only BA appliance capable of accessing a house or structure that could need defending, Pumps can be very un-useful at times. There is definantly reasons for brigades to consider BA and its a pity so many are against the idea...
Again my personal views and not those of many others..

Merry Christmas.
Fastlane
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster
Amateur callsign: VK6FLMZ

Post by Fastlane »

The particle masks that have been issued to FRS for some time are another example of differing levels of protection given for facing the same 'risks'...

c'est la vie.
ace of spades

Post by ace of spades »

I agree with you for most of that kel in regards to the fact that BA needs to be more available to BFS volunteers as our health is the number one priority. I feel that as a BFS brigade with structural capability one needs to be careful in maintaining the appropriate skills as I'm sure your brigade does but on the the other hand I have seen other brigades who have know Idea and really struggle at structural incidents. I fear that a volunteer ff is going to be seriously hurt one day in a BA situation as I seriously believe that the training for BA and structural incidents is very poor and lacking in a lot of depth, time and vital information as well as experience as house fires don't happen all the time and as a vol you not go to one months or even years and then your expected to go in. I think that is wrong and maybe that is why people don't want to go down the BA path. In the country it is different as that is all you have but here near the city it is another story.

I believe that the new Ellenbrook station will be a god send to you at West swan as come on really who wants to go to a rubbish bin fire at 3am in the morning, let the guys who get paid to do that do it. I just implore you guys to make sure that when Ellenbrook does come online that you continue to provide yourselves as a well trained unit and that there is no animosity and you develop a good working relationship.

This is going off track a little but I feel there is to much animosity between brigades (career and Vol, Vol to Career, vol to vol, red to white) and its time that we focussed on the real issue of protecting the community. If it means that a red truck arrives first with these zone 2's at the moment and gets on top of a fire early or puts it out with out the assistance of a BFS truck then so be it, on the other hand if the BFS is required to help or in west swan's case arrive first at a job and GENUINELY don't require help then so be it again Though I must admit that standing down of career stations by vols in the gazetted metro fire district is wrong but hey thats a seperate issue especially when you have volunteer station well within the gazetted fire District (Darlington, Guildford, Bassendean, Kwinana etc)

Too much emphasis is put on empire building motives and agendas of this is our area stay away we don't want your help, that we have forgotten our core buisness and that is to protect the community.

My thoughts only, Good luck with it Kel at West Swan and stay safe everyone. Remember to screw on your head and not your cabbage