Overweight vehicles

WA Department of Fire and Emergency Services (6AR and 6IP) (Including the Fire Services, SES & VMRS) and Department of Biodiversity, Conservation and Attractions

Moderator: bogged

observer
150+ posts
150+ posts

Overweight vehicles

Post by observer »

There is a rumour going around that the old HSR (like Armadale and Mundaring have) are over weight and FEAS has instructied these brigades to drop 500 lt from the tank and carry only a maximum of 4 crew (not good if true comng into the fire season). Also the new HSR were also found to be about 800 kg overweight and may be dealt a similiar fate. Has anyone heard of these rumours?
BuddahFRS
150+ posts
150+ posts

Re: Overweight vehicles

Post by BuddahFRS »

observer wrote: FEAS has instructied these brigades
hmm i didnt know we had a sudden name change to the Fire and Emergency Authority Service of WA. lol

and i can say the the story with old HSR's is true.
have been requested to carry only 4 crew members and only have 3/4 tank of water.
New HSR's no idea.

The problem is being sorted out by Management, and a solution is being drafted as we speek.
----BUDDAH VFRS----
observer
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by observer »

BuddahFRS wrote:
The problem is being sorted out by Management, and a solution is being drafted as we speek.
And further rumour is that it is in the too hard basket, so management will not be doing anything about it, except for dropping water and crew.
BuddahFRS
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by BuddahFRS »

observer wrote:
BuddahFRS wrote:
And further rumour is that it is in the too hard basket, so management will not be doing anything about it, except for dropping water and crew.
well i can only go on what i have been told.
----BUDDAH VFRS----
observer
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by observer »

Just seeing if the rumours are correct. You have confirmed one of them.

One would hope that the new HSR are NOT over weight, and that FESA WILL DO something about the issue (with the old HSR at least).
BuddahFRS
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by BuddahFRS »

observer wrote:Just seeing if the rumours are correct. You have confirmed one of them.

One would hope that the new HSR are NOT over weight, and that FESA WILL DO something about the issue (with the old HSR at least).
i have heard that they may replace the truck, or give us an extra appliance for the summer. so we would have our HSR2.4 plus 3 LT's
----BUDDAH VFRS----
kwn

Post by kwn »

Kwinana VFRS have sent back their new HSR due to it being close to 1000kgs over weight. FESA has done well on this one....
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by newbie »

I was told recently that FESA's requlations changed at some point for vehicle weight and that the vehicles can't exceed a max 75% of the gross vehicle mass so the over weight issue on the older vehicles may be because of the change. The vehicles might not legally be over weight but just not within the FESA guidlines. I can't really see the companies that build the vehicles making them over weight, it's pretty simple to figure out what everything would weigh and keep it all legal however a miss comunication on the FESA guidelines is more likely... geeze imagine if they are legally over weight... now thats a muck up!
vk6hgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6HGR
Scanners and Receivers: Various Yaesu, Kenwood, Tait, Simoco and Philips'

Post by vk6hgr »

...water is heavier than people realise :-)
Gavin Rogers; VK6HGR
http://vk6hgr.ampr.org/
WARSUG forum administrator
Site and stream donations: https://www.paypal.me/vk6hgr
treeny
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by treeny »

1000L equals 1000Kg
MELVILLE 80
The worst in nature brings out the best in us! STATE EMERGENCY SERVICE WE SERVE
BuddahFRS
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by BuddahFRS »

newbie wrote:I was told recently that FESA's requlations changed at some point for vehicle weight and that the vehicles can't exceed a max 75% of the gross vehicle mass so the over weight issue on the older vehicles may be because of the change. The vehicles might not legally be over weight but just not within the FESA guidlines. I can't really see the companies that build the vehicles making them over weight, it's pretty simple to figure out what everything would weigh and keep it all legal however a miss comunication on the FESA guidelines is more likely... geeze imagine if they are legally over weight... now thats a muck up!
all the new Vehicles coming out follow these guide lines, as yeah making them only to 75% increases the vehicle life span.

i am not 100% but i think that the Old HSR's are Legally over weight by 800kg, hence why we have to drop 1/4 tank of water, and reduce the crew to 4. as yeah if it was just overweight by this guide line that they will not bother making us drop water and crews, especially this close to summer.

Also Treeny what you are saying is correct, but that is pure water. normal water will be heavier due to suspended particles. this is what makes the branches splutter and stuff of these extras in the water.
----BUDDAH VFRS----
treeny
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by treeny »

ok, so how much weight do u think suspended particles would add to 1000l of water?? 5kg?? cant imagine much more than that
MELVILLE 80
The worst in nature brings out the best in us! STATE EMERGENCY SERVICE WE SERVE
BuddahFRS
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by BuddahFRS »

treeny wrote:ok, so how much weight do u think suspended particles would add to 1000l of water?? 5kg?? cant imagine much more than that
yeah true wouldn't be much hey, but yeah who knows.
----BUDDAH VFRS----
scanner81
Banned

Post by scanner81 »

I believe the legal GVM for both series of HSR's is 10,000kg and both weigh in excess of 10,700kg. I also believe this problem is effecting over 40 of these appliances (or similar) across the state. Just a minor issue hey.........
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by newbie »

Thats a lot of water that has to be dropped, if you don't tap into your safety margin then you don't really have much to use...