VFRS - Bassendean & Guilford

WA Department of Fire and Emergency Services (6AR and 6IP) (Including the Fire Services, SES & VMRS) and Department of Biodiversity, Conservation and Attractions

Moderator: bogged

written_ficton
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

VFRS - Bassendean & Guilford

Post by written_ficton »

Hey Guys,

Got me thinking really - do these guys get much turnout to incidents? I know that we have an awesome career coverage in these areas and these two VFRS are one of the few 'inner city' Volley Brigades.

I'd be interested to hear from active people within these brigades or outside, just what a day / or night entails

I'm tempted to pick up the phone and join, seeing I live quite close to both of these when my workload gets quieter
I've closed the door!
philby
150+ posts
150+ posts

Re: VFRS - Bassendean & Guilford

Post by philby »

Hey Written
I've been with basso 5 years and your right we and Guildford dont get alot of calls.
hopefully that will all change with Guildford getting a 2.4 and Basso has got the 1.4 RU on loan from Darlington BFB.
I think we only got 20 something call outs last year and all of those are bush fire related.
Basso and Guildford do attend the Ellenbrook Speedway during winter to keep ourselves from going crazy.
written_ficton
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by written_ficton »

Hey Philby, thanks for a quick response. Still even if limited calls you still enjoy it right?

Are both stations getting a 2.4? As you said, Basso has only got a 1.4R onloan
I've closed the door!
gkoutlis

Post by gkoutlis »

I think the Bassendean vollies also do the Trots as well when the Fire Works are on on some Friday Nights...

I remember posting a while ago I think this year, when the hill caught fire due to stray fireworks.

They did a fantastic job extinguishing the small scrub fire.

G
George
WARSUG Moderator
VFRS Member

"I am not one who was born in the possession of knowledge. I am one who is fond of antiquity, and earnest in seeking it there." — Confucius

Any views expressed in the above post are my own and do not necessarily depict or reflect the views or opinions of DFES/FRS or VBFB.
philby
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by philby »

written_ficton wrote:Hey Philby, thanks for a quick response. Still even if limited calls you still enjoy it right?

Are both stations getting a 2.4? As you said, Basso has only got a 1.4R onloan
I do still enjoy it. I would like a bit more variety but then we would be taking the perms jobs off them and thats a big NO NO! So we might have to break out the white paint on the trucks!

Our DM told us we would be getting a 2.4 sometime when they have finished with them up north.

But dont let any of this stop you coming down. We train monday nights at 1930. Parker street Bassendean.
I think guildford train on tuesday nights.
Tyranus
Amateur callsign: VK6FWDH
Scanners and Receivers: UBC93XLT

Post by Tyranus »

The 1.4 isn't Darlington's, we had it on loan from forrestfield while we were waiting for our new light tanker, and as a trial for when we get our 1.4 eventually. :) Good to hear that you folks have got some bigger trucks, hopefully you'll get a few more calls. We quite often have a 2.4 drive out from Malaga or Canning Vale so having a 2.4 and 1.4 that's closer will be great!
Stirling SES
Team Leader (Stirling 53)
Vertical Rescue Team Member
K9 7 Support

VK6FWDH
ex-Darlington FB
WARSUG Demi-God I mean Mod
If stupidity got me into this mess, why can't it get me out.
Helitak_670
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by Helitak_670 »

Trranus, you guys going to have 2 LT's and a 1.4?
Tyranus

Post by Tyranus »

unlikely though that's what a lot of us would like. Darlington Light Tanker 2 (ex. Darlington Light Tanker 1) will probably be replaced with the 1.4 as it's both due for replacement and none of the brigades in the shire have more than 2 fighting appliances.
Stirling SES
K9 7 Support

VK6FWDH
ex-Darlington FB
Hotel Mike 107
Scanners and Receivers: Uniden
UBC72XLT

Post by Hotel Mike 107 »

how old do u have to be to join the vollies at basso ???
treeny
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by treeny »

i come from the ses where the age restrictions are 16 to join the unit and 18 to attend callouts. i would imagine that this would be the same across the board. if you are a cadet i think u can join a unit earlier, but dont take my word for it.

your best bet would be to call the volunteer recruitment line tomorrow on 1800 628 141. they should be able to answer ur questions.
MELVILLE 80
The worst in nature brings out the best in us! STATE EMERGENCY SERVICE WE SERVE
Tyranus

Post by Tyranus »

BFS and VFRS are different in terms of age though it is up to the station/shire for BFS units. Though as Treeny said, give the volunteer recruiting a call or wait for philby to get back to you and give you what Basso 2nd will accept.
Stirling SES
K9 7 Support

VK6FWDH
ex-Darlington FB
Hotel Mike 107
Scanners and Receivers: Uniden
UBC72XLT

Post by Hotel Mike 107 »

Cheers guys aye i wait till phillby get back to this one and yer been intrested for a while and i live in lockridge so it not that far for me to get to bassendean 5 minutes maxs
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by newbie »

I was a member of Guildford for about 5 years and I joined up with them when I was 17, don't know if it has changed... it was about 11 years ago now.
kylep
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by kylep »

Up until I left a few years ago 17 was still the mimimum age to join an FRS Brigade.
WPXZBP

Post by WPXZBP »

Still is 17.

Ability to spell and compose sentences that make sense is also a requirement. :twisted: