FESA policy re Photographs at incidents

WA Department of Fire and Emergency Services (6AR and 6IP) (Including the Fire Services, SES & VMRS) and Department of Biodiversity, Conservation and Attractions

Moderator: bogged

Magnus
150+ posts
150+ posts

FESA policy re Photographs at incidents

Post by Magnus »

There's a circular (operational circular 71/2009) currently being distributed, quite strongly worded regarding use of recording devices used to capture video footage and other phtographs

Who else has seen this, any opinions/comments

I haven't posted a copy on a public URL as I don't know if that would violate copyright or policy, but if you have access to the extranet, you'll find it at

https://extranet.fesa.wa.gov.au/sites/v ... ipment.pdf
WPXZBP

Re: FESA policy re Photographs at incidents

Post by WPXZBP »

It was read out at our last meeting by our Brigade Secretary.

I know a number of our Members have taken pics at incidents. This new order certainly puts a stop to that.
yorky

Post by yorky »

Can I assume this is just for staff not to take pics and not your joe blow bystander?
"VKI, NJ050 will you be attending the job?"
"Negative VKI, my desk is bolted to the floor".
WARSUG General Scanning Moderator
Magnus
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Magnus »

yorky wrote:Can I assume this is just for staff not to take pics and not your joe blow bystander?
Circular reads, "a person who is or has been -
a: a member
b: a member of a consultative comittee; or
c: a staff member"
yorky

Post by yorky »

Thanks, I guess that means no more operational photos :cry:
written_ficton
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by written_ficton »

This is for operational staff right?

I've taken a picture at an incident once and was told quiet strongly by the station officer that I was unable to do so, I mentioned politely that unfortauntely I am able to do and well within my rights as it directly involved my work and my reason to be there.

He agreed and walked off.
I've closed the door!
Magnus
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Magnus »

written_ficton wrote:This is for operational staff right?

I've taken a picture at an incident once and was told quiet strongly by the station officer that I was unable to do so, I mentioned politely that unfortauntely I am able to do and well within my rights as it directly involved my work and my reason to be there.
If it is part of your task to record the incident and/or you have authorisation from a "supervisor" you can take photographs.
The circular sates this but does not give a definition of "supervisor" which makes it somewhat ambiguous.
yorky

Post by yorky »

written_ficton wrote:This is for operational staff right?

He agreed and walked off.
Not to mention if you are in a public place any member of the public can take pictures of anything unless *Police* ask you not to/move along.
Fastlane
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster
Amateur callsign: VK6FLMZ

Post by Fastlane »

Magnus wrote:
yorky wrote:Can I assume this is just for staff not to take pics and not your joe blow bystander?
Circular reads, "a person who is or has been -
a: a member
b: a member of a consultative comittee; or
c: a staff member"
This wont affect Volunteers as they aren't defined as 'members' under the FESA Act. It certainly does not affect BFS vols.

Under the FESA Act:
- member is a member of the FESA board except for the CEO

Take a look of Section 39 of the Fire & Emergency Services Authority Act.
Last edited by Fastlane on Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zebedee
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6DB

Post by Zebedee »

It's worth noting a couple of points at this stage I think.

First of all, the link to the PDF in the opening post isn't on a publicly-accessible website, as Magnus says. If you don't have a login to the FESA "Extranet", then don't bother trying to open the document as you'll be asked for a username and password ;)

For people who *do* have access to the document, please be mindful of the fact that the document isn't publicly accessible for a reason. Please don't post any links to copies of the document for that reason - unless FESA choose to make it public of course!

Lastly, in my opinion, this policy regarding photographs or videos at incidents is only enforceable on the people who are bound by the policy. In other words as Yorky mentions, if you're just a regular member of the public who happens to be in the area, then I can't see how this policy would apply to you. That's not to say that you couldn't (or shouldn't) be shoo'ed away if you're making a nuisance of yourself ;)
Doug Bell (Zebedee) VK6DB
WARSUG Forum Administrator.

It is very dark.
You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
treeny
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by treeny »

my understanding is that the board is a consulative committee, so yes it covers them, but section 18D of the act is "register of members of SES Unit". this says to me that

a: a member = a member of any unit/brigade/station
b: a member of a consultative committee; or = the fesa board
c: a staff member" any employee of fesa

i think all up, if you are involved with any volunteer emergency service, dont take photos without asking.
MELVILLE 80
The worst in nature brings out the best in us! STATE EMERGENCY SERVICE WE SERVE
treeny
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by treeny »

Zebedee wrote:It's worth noting a couple of points at this stage I think.

First of all, the link to the PDF in the opening post isn't on a publicly-accessible website, as Magnus says. If you don't have a login to the FESA "Extranet", then don't bother trying to open the document as you'll be asked for a username and password ;)

For people who *do* have access to the document, please be mindful of the fact that the document isn't publicly accessible for a reason. Please don't post any links to copies of the document for that reason - unless FESA choose to make it public of course!

Lastly, in my opinion, this policy regarding photographs or videos at incidents is only enforceable on the people who are bound by the policy. In other words as Yorky mentions, if you're just a regular member of the public who happens to be in the area, then I can't see how this policy would apply to you. That's not to say that you couldn't (or shouldn't) be shoo'ed away if you're making a nuisance of yourself ;)
its on the State Law Publisher, and thats a publicly accessible. From memory, certain sections of the act refer to members of the public.
MELVILLE 80
The worst in nature brings out the best in us! STATE EMERGENCY SERVICE WE SERVE
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by newbie »

It might have come out of the inquest for the southern cross bushfire, there was video and pictures (only of fire) that was used in the evidence, so maybe the FESA lawyers have decided that the less amount of recorded evidence the better... there is only ever an inquiry when bad things happen! I might be a little bit of a conspiracy theorist on it all... but I have good reason to be! :shock:
Bigfella78

Post by Bigfella78 »

I also think it is mainly to stop the practise of recording turn outs. There was footage of a turnout to the maddington petrol station fire floating around...

I remember reading somewhere police were buying their own video cameras to record arrests incase they are sued...
http://www.news.com.au/technology/story ... 39,00.html

Will it stop me from taking photos of my crew at an incident, NO.. but all the photos I've taken are of mop up and never of running fire... I mean who has time to take photos while chasing a fire up the hill...
A52

"Just because your paranoid doesn't mean their not following you"
Fastlane
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster
Amateur callsign: VK6FLMZ

Post by Fastlane »

treeny wrote:my understanding is that the board is a consulative committee, so yes it covers them, but section 18D of the act is "register of members of SES Unit". this says to me that

a: a member = a member of any unit/brigade/station
b: a member of a consultative committee; or = the fesa board
c: a staff member" any employee of fesa
Section 39 talks about 'member'.. which is defined at the top of the Act. If it was to include SES members or other volunteers, then they'd be included in the definition.
member means a member of the board other than the chief executive officer;
member of staff means the chief executive officer or a person referred to in section 20(1) or 21;