3rd Alarm Scrub Fire in Wandi

WA Department of Fire and Emergency Services (6AR and 6IP) (Including the Fire Services, SES & VMRS) and Department of Biodiversity, Conservation and Attractions

Moderator: bogged

Bundy
Amateur callsign: VK6FABD

Post by Bundy »

I heard Mandogalup attend a fire around Magenup Rd Wandi this arvo at around 4pm.

The arrival code was along the lines of "66 make 3rd alarm"
The crew leader also asked for helitacs but for some reason they were un available.
They sent out Hope Valley (Or Kwinobyl as Ive heard them called)
Success, canningvale (I think), Kwinnana south and Jandakot. I may have missed some names here, not sure.
Mandogalup had their light tankers going as well as thier ICV.

I suspect due to the strong winds this arvo this is what caused it to go 3rd alarm so quick. The winds seemed to die down around 5pm which would have helped them contain it.

I just heard Jandakot 9.2 stand down at 2130 from the Wadi fire.
Theyll be there for a while longer I think mopping up

Cheers

Bundy
Fastlane
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster
Amateur callsign: VK6FLMZ

Re: 3rd Alarm Scrub Fire in Wandi

Post by Fastlane »

Bundy wrote:The crew leader also asked for helitacs but for some reason they were un available.
The last 2 Helitacs finished for the season on April 15.
chrissss

Post by chrissss »

yeh
went to this incident the call came through at1530 but i dont think we had enoguh cz everyone was on the way home from work, secodn pager mesage was sent and people wer called but i was still at work so couldt go to first turnout
lighttanker wa dispatched when arrived they tried to find the head and wer chasing ikt to give a siterep, when the 3.4 arrived minutes later they classified the 3rd alarm, that prompted kwinana spouth and jandakot to attend because they are our 3rd alarm pople then some one called an said there house was under threat which was why kwinana,sucess,hope valley and cannign vale wer turned out for asset protection,
anywho the start of the fire was a bloke burning off small piles of leaves who had a pump and all that set up but no permit which is a no no
anyways he did the firszt too and when the 3rd started getting biggr then expected h went to start the pump but it wouldnt start and the next thing he knew the pile was gettin bugger and bigger so he called 000

luckily the block which the fire was started in was directly next door to a block we burnt before this fire season just gone!~!! becoz it wen tin and L shape around the burnt block lucky coz that was an intense burn would hate to se a wild fire in there!!
consequently wen tinto calm land and they had 2 heavys and a light vehicles ther as well to assist
mop up continued wiht most resources till 11 and we wer all stood down calm was bacxk yesterday to monitor it and yer

i suspect that bloke will be up for a fair wack of fines@!!!!!

sorry about my grammer
peace
chris
chrissss

Post by chrissss »

yeh
went to this incident the call came through at1530 but i dont think we had enoguh cz everyone was on the way home from work, secodn pager mesage was sent and people wer called but i was still at work so couldt go to first turnout
lighttanker wa dispatched when arrived they tried to find the head and wer chasing ikt to give a siterep, when the 3.4 arrived minutes later they classified the 3rd alarm, that prompted kwinana spouth and jandakot to attend because they are our 3rd alarm pople then some one called an said there house was under threat which was why kwinana,sucess,hope valley and cannign vale wer turned out for asset protection,
anywho the start of the fire was a bloke burning off small piles of leaves who had a pump and all that set up but no permit which is a no no
anyways he did the firszt too and when the 3rd started getting biggr then expected h went to start the pump but it wouldnt start and the next thing he knew the pile was gettin bugger and bigger so he called 000

luckily the block which the fire was started in was directly next door to a block we burnt before this fire season just gone!~!! becoz it wen tin and L shape around the burnt block lucky coz that was an intense burn would hate to se a wild fire in there!!
consequently wen tinto calm land and they had 2 heavys and a light vehicles ther as well to assist
mop up continued wiht most resources till 11 and we wer all stood down calm was bacxk yesterday to monitor it and yer

i suspect that bloke will be up for a fair wack of fines@!!!!!

sorry about my grammer
peace
chris
Bundy

Post by Bundy »

Thanks for that background info on the fire chriss.

I dont know if I mentioned it at the start but Im a volly with Jandakot brigade

It just goes to show though the advantages of doing prescribed burning in relation to the fire starting next door to an already burned block.

When we had the big one through Wandi a few years ago there were instances of propertys saved because they or the neighbours block had been burnt off prior.

Sounds like you all did a great job anyway.

Seeya[/quote]
JG-103

Post by JG-103 »

I was there too and heard that Calm wants to through the book at him. As it went into their land and they were there too.
Bundy

Post by Bundy »

Oh dear,

Here in lays the reason that one gets a permit for burning off.

This fellas gonna wonder if it was really worth burning off a few small piles of rubbish for all the trouble hes gotten into :oops:

I almost offered my services at the fire, but I thought, if they need me theyll call me
JG-103

Post by JG-103 »

Hey Bundy, are u attending the on road driver training at our station on sat ?