Air Attack 09/10

WA Department of Fire and Emergency Services (6AR and 6IP) (Including the Fire Services, SES & VMRS) and Department of Biodiversity, Conservation and Attractions

Moderator: bogged

Helitak_670
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Air Attack 09/10

Post by Helitak_670 »

HI all, look out for a new helicopter coming down to Perth soon. The AS350's over in QLD will be back in the not to distant future.
written_ficton
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Re: Air Attack 09/10

Post by written_ficton »

They are actively recruiting pilots for this year...
I've closed the door!
Chooky

Post by Chooky »

Latest word from the South Metro officer forum today is the Fireking won't be coming down due to a investigation in the States of another Fireking that went down. Sounds like we'll be getting a Cougar instead which is part of the wider Super Puma military transport / utility helicopter family.

Here's the details on the Cougar:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eurocopter_AS_532
FCO Jandakot VBFB
Fastlane
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster
Amateur callsign: VK6FLMZ

Post by Fastlane »

Chooky wrote:Latest word from the South Metro officer forum today is the Fireking won't be coming down due to a investigation in the States of another Fireking that went down. Sounds like we'll be getting a Cougar instead which is part of the wider Super Puma military transport / utility helicopter family.
Not correct. I won't elaborate though, 'coz I tend to believe the info at officer forums isn't for the consumption of the general-public.. (if it was, it'd be in the paper)
Helitak_670
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by Helitak_670 »

It is correct that the Carson S61 is not coming.
BuddahFRS
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by BuddahFRS »

Helitak_670 wrote:It is correct that the Carson S61 is not coming.
oh why is that. so will there just be the 4 small ones over here this summer. or are they bring over another big one.

also when do the helitacks come online???
----BUDDAH VFRS----
yorky

Post by yorky »

BuddahFRS wrote:
Helitak_670 wrote:It is correct that the Carson S61 is not coming.
oh why is that. so will there just be the 4 small ones over here this summer. or are they bring over another big one.

also when do the helitacks come online???
Regarding the Carson, read up about 3 posts.
"VKI, NJ050 will you be attending the job?"
"Negative VKI, my desk is bolted to the floor".
WARSUG General Scanning Moderator
Chooky

Post by Chooky »

Looking into it further, there was a accident in August 2008 in the US which would have been in line with the start of last fire season, but they didn't remove it from service then. Guess its trail finished last fire season, but why would you switch aircraft if something worked well. Got me stuffed.

P.S. Fastlane, there are certain details i would not release from attending officer forums i.e. arsonist information or operational information. I don't believe what type of Helitack were getting is top secret information when people can look up and see it in about a months time.
FCO Jandakot VBFB
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by newbie »

The talk is that Carson helicopters lost their fire fighting contracts in the US and that the West Aussie contract was the only contract they had still... makes sense on a safety point of view that if one crashed and the US government has stopped using them then we would also.

Heres a good link for the super puma http://www.eurocopter.com/site/en/ref/F ... g_537.html
BuddahFRS
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by BuddahFRS »

newbie wrote: Heres a good link for the super puma http://www.eurocopter.com/site/en/ref/F ... g_537.html
Looks like i nice bit of kit to have on the fire ground. but yeah these two would be better.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S-64_Skycrane
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elvis_(helicopter)

if these come over here operational. us guy who fight the fires in the hills would need to put surf boards on the trucks. lol, like when S64 come in for a drop in Canning Mills. pull out the board and surf all the way down to the flats in Cockburn. hehehe could be fun :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
----BUDDAH VFRS----
brocks

Post by brocks »

did the air attack choppers make it to the fires at gidgie today,i know they asked for air support at the reen rd fire but didnt hear anymore about them?
Tyranus
Amateur callsign: VK6FWDH
Scanners and Receivers: UBC93XLT

Post by Tyranus »

helicopters are currently not in the state. They're still in contract to Queensland I think it is off the top of my head, so the most they'd have got is water bombers.
Stirling SES
Team Leader (Stirling 53)
Vertical Rescue Team Member
K9 7 Support

VK6FWDH
ex-Darlington FB
WARSUG Demi-God I mean Mod
If stupidity got me into this mess, why can't it get me out.
written_ficton
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by written_ficton »

I believe that everything is up in the Air at the moment [no pun intended] but the Carson is still favoured
I've closed the door!
Helitak_670
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by Helitak_670 »

The 3 helicopters will be rocking up at the end of the month, then in for some maintenance possibly and then online later on in DEC, as for the REEN rd fire I believe that they got some fixed wing.
Helitak_670
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by Helitak_670 »

Our 09/10 S61 is currently being assembled at Essendon in Victoria before she heads west. Rego is C-FQNG here is a pic http://www.myaviation.net/search/photo_ ... size=large
and here is their website www.vih.com