Assults on Firemen

WA Department of Fire and Emergency Services (6AR and 6IP) (Including the Fire Services, SES & VMRS) and Department of Biodiversity, Conservation and Attractions

Moderator: bogged

chromii

Assults on Firemen

Post by chromii »

I am not a regular poster but this is too serious to ignore.

I own & run NEWS@NIGHT & have seen the attacks on police, & other emergency personnel, 1st hand.
However I had assumed that the law would bring these people to justice.
How wrong was I & I was there filming the aftermath of the Butcher assault.

I would like to make an offer to anyone who is assaulted while NEWS@NIGHT are filming.
Please contact me on 0410426373 & I will make the vision available for evidence.
I am also prepared to stand up in court as witness to these crimes & verify the vision.
Both my cameramen have also indicated their willingness to do the same !

We are not always aware of these crimes due to the digital change over but will endeavor
to keep an eye out for this barbaric behavior.

Our thoughts & support to all those who place themselves in danger for others.

Andre'
What is said is not important.
What is heard is all that matters.
yorky

Re: Assults on Firemen

Post by yorky »

The one thing I heard on the news this morning, was something about our wonderful government implementing better laws against emergency personnel, however they won't be doing it against fire fighters. What a slap in the face to the men and women who risk THERE OWN LIVES EVERYDAY to save others.

People that want to assault and cause unruly behaviour do so simply because they know they can get away with anything these days.
"VKI, NJ050 will you be attending the job?"
"Negative VKI, my desk is bolted to the floor".
WARSUG General Scanning Moderator
Fastlane
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster
Amateur callsign: VK6FLMZ

Post by Fastlane »

yorky wrote:The one thing I heard on the news this morning, was something about our wonderful government implementing better laws against emergency personnel, however they won't be doing it against fire fighters. What a slap in the face to the men and women who risk THERE OWN LIVES EVERYDAY to save others.

People that want to assault and cause unruly behaviour do so simply because they know they can get away with anything these days.
The protections do exist, but are only at the Public Officer Level. There were some changes to the Criminal Code in relation to this late last year which added specific mention of Fire Fighters relating to the Fire Brigades Act, SES, VMRS and FESA Unit members but ommitted the Bush Fires Act, which I have raised with my local MP. Reading closely, there are loopholes even in that, or at least quite alot that can be left open to interpretation..

Personally, I believe all first responders AND those that have been in the firing line in the past need to be better protected. Whilst it is correct that Firefighters don't deal with violence etc as part of their duties, we are quite often the first ones to arrive at an 'incident' and particularly in the country, the 'law' is often very far away...
realfirie
Banned

Post by realfirie »

Whilst it is correct that Firefighters don't deal with violence etc as part of their duties,
You either are not a firie or just lucky. Ive been involved or heard of many incidents were violence or agro behaviour has been directed at firies, including a couple were items such as bats and knives have been involved. Its just that no one has been seriously injured, it is only a matter of time before a firie does and laws need to be in place for this that carry a servere punishment
Fastlane
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by Fastlane »

realfirie wrote:
Whilst it is correct that Firefighters don't deal with violence etc as part of their duties,
You either are not a firie or just lucky. Ive been involved or heard of many incidents were violence or agro behaviour has been directed at firies, including a couple were items such as bats and knives have been involved. Its just that no one has been seriously injured, it is only a matter of time before a firie does and laws need to be in place for this that carry a servere punishment
realfirie, I accept that and have heard of some close calls.. what I meant is, its not a primary role (ie, we dont get called out to deal with a violent situation - its just a byproduct), which is the argument the govt will put forward for not including firies and nurses..
realfirie
Banned

Post by realfirie »

Thats right. But in saying that tha ambos are covered and they are no different to firies. For example An ambo might attend an assult victim after a domestic disturbance and be threatened by the person responsible but a firie might attend a house fire after a domestic disturbance and be threatened by the suspect. So whats the difference?
Tyranus
Amateur callsign: VK6FWDH
Scanners and Receivers: UBC93XLT

Post by Tyranus »

They will no doubt highlight that when attending a fire you don't know the cause until you've arrived, yes you may receive hotilities upon arrival. However when and ambulance get's dispatched to a domestic assault in conjunction with the police, it is possible that they will arrive before the police do. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for having fire fighters protected under the same act.
Stirling SES
Team Leader (Stirling 53)
Vertical Rescue Team Member
K9 7 Support

VK6FWDH
ex-Darlington FB
WARSUG Demi-God I mean Mod
If stupidity got me into this mess, why can't it get me out.
Fastlane
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by Fastlane »

realfirie wrote:Thats right. But in saying that tha ambos are covered and they are no different to firies. For example An ambo might attend an assult victim after a domestic disturbance and be threatened by the person responsible but a firie might attend a house fire after a domestic disturbance and be threatened by the suspect. So whats the difference?
mate, I'm on your side. I said above that I thought we should all be protected. geez
Fastlane
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by Fastlane »

Well it would appear that opposition amendments to include Nurses & Firefighters in the bill have been defeated by the Government.