Fire Weather

WA Department of Fire and Emergency Services (6AR and 6IP) (Including the Fire Services, SES & VMRS) and Department of Biodiversity, Conservation and Attractions

Moderator: bogged

Enviro

Re: Fire Weather

Post by Enviro »

Very hard to get a handle on whats happening because it scans about four channels and everyone is over the top of each other.

But the operators are doing well
Last edited by Enviro on Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Enviro
Please consider the environment
dlcat1
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by dlcat1 »

Enviro wrote:CFA stream is http://cfastream.info/infusions/cfastre ... stream.php

Very hard to get a handle on whats happening because it scans about four channels and everyone is over the top of each other.

But the operators are doing well
Thanks for that Enviro, glad I'm not there and my thought are with those who are.

Managed to get a few doppler radar screenshots showing the flank becoming the front. A rough measure shows the Kilmore fire now heading NE with a 20km front and the Kinglake? fire with a 25 to 30 km front.

I guess this is a perfect example of why we, whenever possible, try to secure the flanks asap with the weather forecast in mind.
WPXZBP

Post by WPXZBP »

Last I heard (~3:30) multiple fires, crews stretched. 30 homes destroyed, no fatalities, one man in hospital with burns to 50% of his body (only wearing thongs and shorts) and a number of CFA tankers have been lost. Not good at all. (Source - ABC Radio)
Enviro

Post by Enviro »

WPXZBP wrote:Last I heard (~3:30) multiple fires, crews stretched. 30 homes destroyed, no fatalities, one man in hospital with burns to 50% of his body (only wearing thongs and shorts) and a number of CFA tankers have been lost. Not good at all. (Source - ABC Radio)

Didn't sound good from what I was hearing on the CFA stream with mayday calls coming form crews trapped quite regularly.
Enviro
Please consider the environment
dlcat1
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by dlcat1 »

Normally when things get rough over east the states (particularly Vic CFS/ SA CFA/ NSW RFS) send each other taskforce gifts. Unfortunately at the moment they ALL have problems.

NSW has a series of stubborn lighting ignitions that they have been holding up till today, but that don't look like going out till they get real rain. SA is very dry and Vic :cry:

At least Qld is getting some good rain :)
Fastlane
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster
Amateur callsign: VK6FLMZ

Post by Fastlane »

Now reporting 14 fatalities in VIC with fears held for over 40.

I won't repeat here what I said as I read that. :(
rambler318

Post by rambler318 »

Fastlane wrote:Now reporting 14 fatalities in VIC with fears held for over 40.

I won't repeat here what I said as I read that. :(
A sad day indeed. May they all rest in peace :(
scottpike

Post by scottpike »

ok well i guess ill point this out search http://sentinel.ga.gov.au/acres/sentinel/index.shtml it shows current fires all ovewr aus has mapping winds everything you need for wild fires oh and also landgate but that is slow

now your weather is not a problem reg and get a update every 15 mins amazing what you learn when you were in vfrs

enjoy
Tyranus
Amateur callsign: VK6FWDH
Scanners and Receivers: UBC93XLT

Post by Tyranus »

scottpike wrote:... oh and also landgate but that is slow ...
...if there's power :lol:
Stirling SES
Team Leader (Stirling 53)
Vertical Rescue Team Member
K9 7 Support

VK6FWDH
ex-Darlington FB
WARSUG Demi-God I mean Mod
If stupidity got me into this mess, why can't it get me out.
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by newbie »

Well Friday and Sat is looking hot with 37 on both days... are we going to get our first 40 day...
Friday is sitting on a 40% chance of > 1mm rain, that sort of weather can mean there is the chance of lightning later in the arvo.

Also I know I'm about 10 months late but FFDI is Forrest Fire Danger Index, the FFDI is what DEC use where as all the fire danger signs you see around the area go off the grassland fire danger rating... even the one at the top of greenmount hill, even though its in a Jarrah forrest area...
Tyranus
Amateur callsign: VK6FWDH
Scanners and Receivers: UBC93XLT

Post by Tyranus »

Better not reach 40 on Saturday morning, I'm going to be trapesing around John Forrest National Park with SES doing Map and Nav Assessments on some people and it'd be nice to have reasonable weather.
Stirling SES
Team Leader (Stirling 53)
Vertical Rescue Team Member
K9 7 Support

VK6FWDH
ex-Darlington FB
WARSUG Demi-God I mean Mod
If stupidity got me into this mess, why can't it get me out.
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by newbie »

Well you managed to do it on the hottest day for a while! good luck :oops:
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by newbie »

I think my earlier prediction of lightning on sat might just end up happening, Its looking like a band will be coming down through Geraldton, Moora, Kalgoorlie and further south with the n/w of the lower west district getting a bit.

They are talking about cloud but at the same time the fire rating has the Perth Hills at only 18% humidity... slightly odd...

All the areas that have thunderstorms on the cards also have a very slight chance of rain so DEC and the outer area BFBs might have a bit on tomorrow arvo.
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by newbie »

Going off the CSIRO's fire danger calculator and the current fire weather info off of the BOM the Forest Fire Danger Index is very high, not the high rating that is listed... but then again they would be gooing off the grassland fire danger rating.
Fastlane
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster
Amateur callsign: VK6FLMZ

Post by Fastlane »

newbie wrote:Going off the CSIRO's fire danger calculator and the current fire weather info off of the BOM the Forest Fire Danger Index is very high, not the high rating that is listed... but then again they would be gooing off the grassland fire danger rating.
The point where High becomes Very High is different in WA - it won't go over until the index hits 32. We have always used the Grassland ratings here in WA - the bottom of the Fire Weather Forecast explains it. The Forest index needs fuel loadings and drought factor inputs, which can vary greatly in a very small area..

Also remember - its a 'forecast', not a 'nowcast' :P