long duration BA

WA Department of Fire and Emergency Services (6AR and 6IP) (Including the Fire Services, SES & VMRS) and Department of Biodiversity, Conservation and Attractions

Moderator: bogged

BuddahFRS
150+ posts
150+ posts

long duration BA

Post by BuddahFRS »

what are these trucks and what makes them different to usual MP/HP?
----BUDDAH VFRS----
Toottoot
Banned

Re: long duration BA

Post by Toottoot »

Isn't BA Breathing apperatus, with long duration BA, BA that has larger bottles.

The difference between BA and a MP/HP should now become evident.
Tyranus
Amateur callsign: VK6FWDH
Scanners and Receivers: UBC93XLT

Post by Tyranus »

I should think buddah understands the difference between BA and a MP/HP. :P I think he just wanted to know how a station like Midland for example is a Long Duration BA station as apposed to one that isn't. (can't remember all the others off the top of my head so won't provide an example). Midland has a MP.
Stirling SES
Team Leader (Stirling 53)
Vertical Rescue Team Member
K9 7 Support

VK6FWDH
ex-Darlington FB
WARSUG Demi-God I mean Mod
If stupidity got me into this mess, why can't it get me out.
WPXZBP

Post by WPXZBP »

Long duration, as far as I know, means the cylinders (not bottles) are in pairs. (aka twinned) All cylinders are the same size.
realfirie
Banned

Post by realfirie »

For a Station to become a long duration BA station its pump has to be equipped with t - pieces which allow the BA set to carry two cylinders. Years ago it was only stations with shipping ports in there area or confined space stations now all career stations are long duration stations and carry t - pieces regardless of wether its a mp or hp or whatever they may have.
BuddahFRS
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by BuddahFRS »

yes i know what a MPHR is thankyou

what i am asking is what is a Long duration BA appliance. is it the same as a Medium Pumper/ Heavy Pumper
and whats the difference, is it twin sets, more sets, cylinders?
also what stations are long duration?
----BUDDAH VFRS----
Tyranus

Post by Tyranus »

I'd tell you, but currently can't login to the volunteer portal (a problem with my password, resetting it using the reset tool isn't helping either :( ). If you have a login go to https://volunteers.fesa.wa.gov.au/membe ... lising.pdf and it will list the brigades. I believe there's about 7 or 8 metro stations, and all the country ones.
Stirling SES
K9 7 Support

VK6FWDH
ex-Darlington FB
WPXZBP

Post by WPXZBP »

The site was down yesterday evening - we couldn't log on from the Station, even resetting like you was of no help.

It's still down.
Tyranus

Post by Tyranus »

ahh ok would be nice if they could put a notice...unless they don't know that it is down.
Stirling SES
K9 7 Support

VK6FWDH
ex-Darlington FB
SamW

Post by SamW »

I think that all BA sets are capable of being long duration. I think that you just move the cylinder over and put another one next to it, and you still use the same harness as you would for a single cylinder wear. I am not sure of what brigades/stations carry the extra cylinders and T pieces on them.
Helitak_670
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by Helitak_670 »

The MSA BA sets are capable of being long duration. There is 2 cylinders (same size as the normal ones) instead of the single cylinders.
ace of spades

Post by ace of spades »

Most of you are correct. The current BD96 Ba sets are capable of becoming long duration sets by as stated before by installing the T piece and having 2 cylinders. Not all career FRS stations have the T pieces, only the stations with the risk of long duration BA wears: eg the ports at freo for long duration hazmats and also places that respond to CSR in the sense of old war tunnels and the Northbridge tunnel have and use them and as someone said before there are about 8-9 stns that have them. Even though not everyone carries the T pieces they are all trained in using them.

The difference between the MP and HP apart from the distinctive looks of the vehicles the main difference is the amount of water that can be pumped out of each. That is why you will see Heavy pumps at boosters or pumping the aeriels etc. The new pumps coming out are all Heavy pumps and I believe that no more Mediums are being built. They are all going to be Heavy pumps or a new pump name such as a urban pump. Hope that helps
BuddahFRS
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by BuddahFRS »

cool i will try and get on that site later, it is not working atm

cheers
----BUDDAH VFRS----
observer
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by observer »

As realfire said, all carrer pumps have t-pieces. They were initially placed on pumps that had the potential for long duration wears, but in recent years these have been placed on every pump.
ace of spades

Post by ace of spades »

sorry observer, you are wrong. Not all pumps have T pieces though it doesn't really matter