Helitak Thread

WA Department of Fire and Emergency Services (6AR and 6IP) (Including the Fire Services, SES & VMRS) and Department of Biodiversity, Conservation and Attractions

Moderator: bogged

Helitak_670
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Re: Helitak Thread

Post by Helitak_670 »

Helitac 670/671 went to the fire in Mundaring yesterday.
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by newbie »

it was this morning apparently... they might have just been doing something with the evaluation of the erickson... not much detail sadly...
kyeboi
150+ posts
150+ posts
Scanners and Receivers: UNIDEN UBC355XLT

Post by kyeboi »

here is a video from yesterdays fire in two rocks of the type 1 in action

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YopdkjUP ... ure=colike
KyeBoi

Yanchep VFRS
kwn

Post by kwn »

Just heard 6AR referring to a DEC Type 1 helicopter. Are they running their own helicopter this season?
Helitak_670
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by Helitak_670 »

Maybe it is 682?
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by newbie »

Air Attack requested the type 1 via DEC Wanneroo office so it might have been DEC requests the type 1 not a request for DEC's type 1... DEC don't have any helitacks.
Helitak_670
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by Helitak_670 »

Helitac 681 has since returned to Perth airport, Air intel also has returned to Jandakot for refuel, but I have not yet heard it take off again. 1010
doggie015

Post by doggie015 »

Thank god for the Helitaks! I hope that we end up getting an "Elvis" skycrane of our own over here. It is much needed!
Helitak_670
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by Helitak_670 »

We do it is called "Marty" and is based at Jandakot. It was used yesterday down south at Serpentine.
doggie015

Post by doggie015 »

According to the FESA website the capacity of the largest helicopter they own is less than half of the 9500 the skycrane can carry... Unless they upped it without updating the website (The skycrane is on loan from over east)
Magnus
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Magnus »

FESA don't "own" any of the firefighting aircraft. They are all leased for the fire season including the Erickson
Wazza Y

Post by Wazza Y »

Anyone know if Marty is still down at Jandakot? if so it seams strange today that instead of turning Marty out to the Harrisdale parks incident today which is not very far at all from Jandakot they send out 2 x Helitaks and a type 1. If they had sent Marty straight away as it was starting to build up they would have had it out within no time. Also for those who were listening to it happening today, who agrees that Canningvale 2.4 needs to buy some pens and paper instead of trying to rely on the MDT for an address. I know it's hard to understand the radio with lights and sirens going but 3 times they were told. #-o
gkoutlis

Post by gkoutlis »

Wazza Y wrote:Anyone know if Marty is still down at Jandakot? if so it seams strange today that instead of turning Marty out to the Harrisdale parks incident today which is not very far at all from Jandakot they send out 2 x Helitaks and a type 1. If they had sent Marty straight away as it was starting to build up they would have had it out within no time. Also for those who were listening to it happening today, who agrees that Canningvale 2.4 needs to buy some pens and paper instead of trying to rely on the MDT for an address. I know it's hard to understand the radio with lights and sirens going but 3 times they were told. #-o
This really isn't the place to be criticising who's done or not done something.

G
George
WARSUG Moderator
VFRS Member

"I am not one who was born in the possession of knowledge. I am one who is fond of antiquity, and earnest in seeking it there." — Confucius

Any views expressed in the above post are my own and do not necessarily depict or reflect the views or opinions of DFES/FRS or VBFB.
Wazza Y

Post by Wazza Y »

gkoutlis wrote:
Wazza Y wrote:Anyone know if Marty is still down at Jandakot? if so it seams strange today that instead of turning Marty out to the Harrisdale parks incident today which is not very far at all from Jandakot they send out 2 x Helitaks and a type 1. If they had sent Marty straight away as it was starting to build up they would have had it out within no time. Also for those who were listening to it happening today, who agrees that Canningvale 2.4 needs to buy some pens and paper instead of trying to rely on the MDT for an address. I know it's hard to understand the radio with lights and sirens going but 3 times they were told. #-o
This really isn't the place to be criticising who's done or not done something.

G
Is a forum not a place for voicing ones opinion?
BTW my comments about Canningvale were said as a joke regarding how we are so reliant on technology these days like using Sat Nav instead of a street directory which I have friends who swear they wont use as the Sat nav is easier, even if it does get them lost now and again.
If your talking about my Helitak comment then please explain why I shouldn't.
BuddahFRS
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by BuddahFRS »

In regards to the comment about the helitaks. the skycrane would be to dangerous to use at that incident. yeah it was a big job but not big enough for 'Marty' as yeah you would of had water drops in close proximity to houses or ground crews. and with the 668/669 thats easy. but with marty dropping 9000L its a bit harder, and can be a costly exercise if they miss drop a load and hits a house, or worse ground crews.

Yeah its good to have a skycrane here. but you also got to take into count that 9000L is a lot of water. and where it is pratical to use that capabilities in a certain area.
----BUDDAH VFRS----