General fire discussions

WA Department of Fire and Emergency Services (6AR and 6IP) (Including the Fire Services, SES & VMRS) and Department of Biodiversity, Conservation and Attractions

Moderator: bogged

Zebedee
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6DB

Re: General fire discussions

Post by Zebedee »

And well fed, gotta remember that!

Anyone who's likely to be going out there this afternoon and tonight, my suggestion is - take your own food and water. The area this fire covers means some people could be quite some distance away from the control point and the food. As well as the snack boxes in your appliance, throw a few muesli bars, lollies, trail mix, whatever you have into your kit and as many bottles of water as you can carry.

And if you see me on the fireground, I've usually got jellybeans to share for that quick sugar rush :P
Doug Bell (Zebedee) VK6DB
WARSUG Forum Administrator.

It is very dark.
You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
yorky

Post by yorky »

If there is anymore info on the Kingsley exchange fire today it would be good to know, my connection to the exchange has been lost and I'm not near the scanner :(
"VKI, NJ050 will you be attending the job?"
"Negative VKI, my desk is bolted to the floor".
WARSUG General Scanning Moderator
nachoman
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by nachoman »

yorky wrote:If there is anymore info on the Kingsley exchange fire today it would be good to know
I was wondering too :)
from iinet:
http://www.iinet.net.au/status/fault.php?id=3784175
Technical Summary:
A fire was reported at Kingsley exchange, resulting in emergency services shutting down power to the site. The site is now running on a backup power source while damaged equipment is repaired.

Resolution:
Customers on the Kingsley exchange disconnected again around 30 minutes ago and have reconnected once more.
This was not due to the switch back to mains power, which is yet to occur.
On site technicians are still working on repairing damaged equipment and will switch back to mains power once this is complete. There is no current ETR.

Update 2015-01-21 15:32 AWST:Power has been restored to the exchange through a backup generator while damaged equipment is being repaired. Customers will now be able to reconnect to the internet. Customers may be briefly disconnected when the site is switched back to mains power. There is no current estimated time for this to occur.

Update 2015-01-21 14:38 AWST: Site management is working with emergency services to restore connectivity. Site management is working with emergency services to restore connectivity.
Zebedee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zebedee »

All I heard (I wasn't near the scanner much at the time) is that there was around $3k's worth of damage and the fire was an electrical fault of some kind.

It is very dark.
Diceman
Scanners and Receivers: none at this time

Post by Diceman »

Any news on Avon Valley National Park ?
Diceman

Post by Diceman »

Not many free resources around Perth now by the sound of it :!:
Diceman

Post by Diceman »

State on high alert for bad fire weather over coming week

Thursday 29 January 2015 – 4:00 PM

State on high alert for bad fire weather over coming week

The State’s firefighters are on high alert with lightning and strong winds creating dangerous fire conditions for the next week.

DFES Assistant Commissioner Chris Arnol said there had been approximately 36 reports of fires caused by lightning today, with more expected, and people needed to be alert.

"We are asking people to be especially vigilant in the coming week.

"It’s essential that people who live near bush, even in the metropolitan area, have a well thought out plan for what to do if a fire starts near them.

"It’s also the last week of school holidays and anyone who is travelling or camping needs to keep up to date.”

Assistant Commissioner Arnol said although the sky may appear overcast, the small amounts of rain forecast would not be enough to extinguish a fire started by lightning.

"Some of the worst fires the State has experienced started in similar weather conditions to what we are expecting over the next week, so we are on high alert,” he said.

Assistant Commissioner Arnol said DFES was putting in place extra resources and emergency response staff were on standby.

"Due to the busy fire season so far we are managing fatigue among staff and volunteers.

"Twenty-one DFES staff and volunteers from the Kimberley and Pilbara have flown to Perth to assist at the fire mop-up in Baldivis, and crews in other regional areas are ready to respond when called upon.

He said extra equipment, such as earthmovers, was also at the ready.

"We need to be able to respond as fast as we can and contain these fires because the wind is going to be strong, gusty and persistent.

"I ask that the whole community is also ready to respond immediately when a fire starts.”

The Department of Parks and Wildlife also advises that the upcoming week could be very challenging for bushfire management.

Parks and Wildlife advised forecast weather conditions presented the most unusual combination of lightning (ignition sources), high temperatures, seasonal dryness and fuel loading across the south-west land division that the department’s senior officers had seen in recent times of fire and land management operations.

For information on preparing for bushfires visit www.areyouready.wa.gov.au. To keep up to date with the latest alerts and warnings visit the

DFES website www.dfes.wa.gov.auor follow DFES on Twitter @DFES_WA.

END

Media Contact: DFES Media and Corporate Communications 9225 5955

http://www.dfes.wa.gov.au/mediareleases ... um=twitter
Nafenn

Post by Nafenn »

Good news for the Volunteers who are taking time off work for the Boddington and Northcliffe Fires, a state of emergency has been declared:

This means that employment protection kicks in:
EMPLOYMENT PROTECTION FOR VOLUNTEERS

The employment protection provisions of the Emergency Management Act 2005 (the EM Act) come into play during an emergency situation (section 50 EM Act) or state of emergency declaration (section 56 EM Act). Both declarations can initially be declared for a 3 day period and can be extended.

Section 92 of the EM Act provides that attendance at an emergency management response does not interfere with or affect the calculation of things such as sick leave, long service leave or other benefits to which the volunteer is entitled.

The volunteer must also be paid their normal remuneration for time they would have ordinarily worked if not for attending to the emergency management response.

Part 9 of the EM Act provides for extensive protection of volunteers; protecting both their employment and remuneration, should they be required to attend to their duties during an emergency situation or a state of emergency.

Specifically, section 93 states:

(1) An employer must not victimise an employee of the employer for the reason that, or reasons that include the reason that, the employee was temporarily absent from employment because the employee was carrying out an emergency management response.

(2) It is a defence for the employer to show that —

(a) the absence was not reasonable having regard to all the circumstances; or

(b) that the victimisation did not occur for the reason, or for reasons that include the reason, referred to in subsection (1).

This means that it is unlawful for an employer to dismiss an employee for the reason that they were called to volunteer to provide a response at an emergency situation or state of emergency, within reason.

It is up to the employee and employer to establish the terms of the employee’s volunteer commitment. That is, there may be certain circumstances where an employee’s absence from work is unreasonable. For example: an employee who is the sole operator of a retail business
Nathan Fenn
WARSUG Aviation Band & Reviews Moderator

Anything I say is my opinion, and has nothing to do with/does not reflect the views of anyone I was/am/will be involved with/employed by/volunteer for/associated with. There, I think that should cover it!
meg
Amateur callsign: VK6LUX
Scanners and Receivers: Yaesu: FT990, FT857, FT7800, VX7R. Icom: ID800H. Old RS scanner.

Post by meg »

I just saw a large, boxy (similar to the airport vehicles) white fire truck accompanied by a white LT driving around Roleystone/Bedfordale area. Both unmarked except for FIRE in big friendly letters.

Anyone know anything about them?

WARSUG FESA and Scanning Special Events moderator
Zebedee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zebedee »

meg wrote:FIRE in big friendly letters.
Love the HHGTTG reference ;)

It is very dark.
roland985
150+ posts
150+ posts
Scanners and Receivers: Uniden EZI30XLT Scanner.
Bearcat UBC355XLT

Post by roland985 »

The good old HHGTTHG...

So much can be explained by it.

Back onto topic though, as an asthma sufferer, it's been a horrible few days.
WASES CSU
meg
Scanners and Receivers: Yaesu: FT990, FT857, FT7800, VX7R. Icom: ID800H. Old RS scanner.

Post by meg »

Zebedee wrote:
meg wrote:FIRE in big friendly letters.
Love the HHGTTG reference ;)
It was so surreal seeing such a beast driving casually around the hills, a HHGTTG reference was needed!

So noone has any info on it?

I believe the Perth airport ones are red, so I'm guessing it wasn't one of theirs. No DFES markings either.

Do we have a wealthy vigilante brigade starting in the hills??

roland985
150+ posts
150+ posts
Bearcat UBC355XLT

Post by roland985 »

What about Lights and Sirens? Did it have all red, red+blue, or amber?
WASES CSU
meg

Post by meg »

roland985 wrote:What about Lights and Sirens? Did it have all red, red+blue, or amber?
Good point, I didn't notice. (In my defence I was driving both times I saw it which is why I didn't get photos)

roland985
150+ posts
150+ posts
Bearcat UBC355XLT

Post by roland985 »

No problems, It entertains me to see someone get all the gear, then just slap amber on them and not go anywhere in a hurry.
WASES CSU