General fire discussions

WA Department of Fire and Emergency Services (6AR and 6IP) (Including the Fire Services, SES & VMRS) and Department of Biodiversity, Conservation and Attractions

Moderator: bogged

wasaint
150+ posts
150+ posts

Re: General fire discussions

Post by wasaint »

4353 wrote:Well i hope the article thewest printed was wrong.

Otherwise all i can say is that if he was already charged with making false 000 calls in april one would hope he was suspended or expelled from the unit, the article gives the impression he is still "current" and not an ex-volunteer.

But glad he got caught.

Yes i agree as well I hope he is an "ex" voly
kwn

Post by kwn »

http://www.news.com.au/perthnow/story/0 ... 61,00.html

This brings a bad name on all of us. He will probably receive a slap on the wrist....
yorky

Post by yorky »

News said he was canned 2 weeks ago.
"VKI, NJ050 will you be attending the job?"
"Negative VKI, my desk is bolted to the floor".
WARSUG General Scanning Moderator
dlcat1
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by dlcat1 »

Its not a great feeling when it is one of your own suspected or charged.

More rigorous testing and background checking can't hurt, but from experience, it can be the case you never suspected the person.
WPXZBP

Post by WPXZBP »

ace of spades wrote:Although the fact remains that this is still a minority of all volunteers, the majority of fires are being lit by volunteer Firefighters.
I would like to see your evidence that "the majority of fires are being lit by volunteer Firefighters." It is a very contoversial statement sure to get a lot of volunteers off-side.

The accused resigned 2 weeks ago. (Source: ABC1 TV News - 14/5/2009)
ace of spades

Post by ace of spades »

WPXZBP wrote:
ace of spades wrote:Although the fact remains that this is still a minority of all volunteers, the majority of fires are being lit by volunteer Firefighters.
I would like to see your evidence that "the majority of fires are being lit by volunteer Firefighters." It is a very contoversial statement sure to get a lot of volunteers off-side.

Agreed. I should have used different wording, but the fact remains that a lot of arsonists that are caught especially in the metro and outer metro areas were volunteer FF's. I don't want to get into a slanging match as this issue is already distasteful but I will provide examples of vol's who have been charged if any one wants to PM me
Enviro

Post by Enviro »

After many years of fire fighting there has been some bad apples within the volunteer fire services, but after also working in the justice system, remember the media doesn't and won't be able cover every arsonist and criminal case that is out there. They will follow the story that seem to be the worst to get the public to react.

So for all our fire fighters out there if you suspect someone contact the FIO, as it is better for them to have a look into them than have a issue that will destroy the name of your brigade and the volunteer FRS and BFS
Enviro
Please consider the environment
Zebedee
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6DB

Post by Zebedee »

ace of spades wrote:I don't want to get into a slanging match as this issue is already distasteful but I will provide examples of vol's who have been charged if any one wants to PM me
Nope, sorry, that's not the way it works... If the topic isn't appropriate to be discussed here, then it's not appropriate for PMs either.
Doug Bell (Zebedee) VK6DB
WARSUG Forum Administrator.

It is very dark.
You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
brocks

Post by brocks »

should the vollies raise the age of its members that actually go out to fight theses fires,seems like alot of these so called bad eggs are just young vollies that are probably eager and keen to make a name for themselves within their communities..they dont understand their actions of lighting these fires little fires turn into big fires very quickly in the right conditions and some of these younger vollies dont know how frightening and tough it can be fighting big fires.im originally from gisborne cfa in victoria and we had the same problems over there to with young vollies being caught lighting fires.what age do you have to be to join or leave the acadamey in the police force maybe this could be a starting point for volunteer bridgades ?
Tyranus
Amateur callsign: VK6FWDH
Scanners and Receivers: UBC93XLT

Post by Tyranus »

The training covered in the induction more than adequately highlights the effects of fire and the potential of it. It is sheer stupidity that would make someone go out a light a fire, or somebody that is mentally challenged.
WPXZBP wrote:

Yes there are vollies that have commited arson offences, and that's rather sad. But I'd be willing to bet that more fires are either accidental (cigarette butts out the car window, little kids and matches), or lit by someone that wants to see some action. Also have to take in ratio's of volunteers to non volunteers, there's less volunteers than non. The only fires I light as a vollie are camp fires in winter, and Hazard Reduction Burns.
Stirling SES
Team Leader (Stirling 53)
Vertical Rescue Team Member
K9 7 Support

VK6FWDH
ex-Darlington FB
WARSUG Demi-God I mean Mod
If stupidity got me into this mess, why can't it get me out.
Turbo
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by Turbo »

This is just another blow to the good vollies.

Wont take too many more for vollies to be generalised as arsonists.

Kinda like how all media are scum...
Zebedee
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6DB

Post by Zebedee »

brocks wrote:seems like alot of these so called bad eggs are just young vollies
brocks wrote:we had the same problems over there to with young vollies being caught lighting fires
Please don't post generalised and unsubstantiated statements like this. It's how arguments start. If someone has hard facts then by all means post them, but please avoid "seems like" statements as they don't add anything useful to the discussion.
Doug Bell (Zebedee) VK6DB
WARSUG Forum Administrator.

It is very dark.
You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
kwn

Post by kwn »

4th Alarm Petrol Tanker on fire Caltex Petrol station beside Chicken Treat. Maddington. Albany Hwy

code 88 from Madington Going well...

Enroute is Belmont ICV
Murdoch SET
Welshpool 1st and 2nd
Asked for bulk foam and WP.
DM cockburn sound
FLO?
DM hills upgarde to 4th alarm
Freamantle 1st
canningvale
bassendean with foam trailer
2nd foam trailer requested
jj hawkins tanker en route x2

Tanker Driver is Awol
Last edited by kwn on Fri May 15, 2009 2:42 pm, edited 8 times in total.
written_ficton
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by written_ficton »

kwn wrote:3 rd Alarm Petrol Tanker on fire Caltex Maddington. Albany Hwy

code 88 from Madington Going well...

Enroute is Belmont ICV
Murdoch SET
Welshpool 1st and 2nd
Asked for bulk foam and WP.
DM cockburn sound
FLO?
Caltex?
I've closed the door!
Fastlane
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster
Amateur callsign: VK6FLMZ

Post by Fastlane »

it's at the shopping centre, Burslem Drive.. ?