General fire discussions

WA Department of Fire and Emergency Services (6AR and 6IP) (Including the Fire Services, SES & VMRS) and Department of Biodiversity, Conservation and Attractions

Moderator: bogged

WPXZBP

General fire discussions

Post by WPXZBP »

A request came though from one of our members to form a thread for discussions about fires. Please put general discussions in here and not in the incident threads. The latter should be used for facts/information relevant to the specific incident. Cheers!

---------- ADMIN EDIT ----------

This thread is for general discussions about fires. It is NOT for complaining about DFES/FESA management decisions, or engaging in any kind of "us vs them" attacks between career and volunteer fire fighters. Such topics are not welcome on WARSUG - not in this thread, or any other.

If you don't agree with a decision that someone in DFES/FESA has made, or you're narky about why some other mob were turned out and you weren't, please address that within your brigade hierarchy, not on here. Posts along these lines that are deemed to be unacceptable will be removed by the moderation team.
gkoutlis

Re: General fire discussions

Post by gkoutlis »

We have a Zone 2 Fire in Forrestfield? - Holmes Rd. - What is a Zone 2?
George
WARSUG Moderator
VFRS Member

"I am not one who was born in the possession of knowledge. I am one who is fond of antiquity, and earnest in seeking it there." — Confucius

Any views expressed in the above post are my own and do not necessarily depict or reflect the views or opinions of DFES/FRS or VBFB.
Fastlane
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster
Amateur callsign: VK6FLMZ

Post by Fastlane »

Zone 2 = Darling Escarpment. 2 station turnout plus 2 x Helitac's.
gkoutlis

Post by gkoutlis »

Ahh ok - thanks for that.

G
George
WARSUG Moderator
VFRS Member

"I am not one who was born in the possession of knowledge. I am one who is fond of antiquity, and earnest in seeking it there." — Confucius

Any views expressed in the above post are my own and do not necessarily depict or reflect the views or opinions of DFES/FRS or VBFB.
Smithy
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Smithy »

I think the theory is that with certain areas around the metro area its much better to mobilise more resources and stand them down rather then get there and have to wait for them.
Last edited by Smithy on Sat Dec 27, 2008 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wasaint
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by wasaint »

Smithy wrote:I think the theory is that with certain areas around the area its much better to mobilise more resources and stand them down rather then get there and have to wait for them.

Yes smithy that is the logic for it and a good one 2 do you not have Zone2 responses at all down on the coastal plains ?

i would have thought it was standard across most of the greater metro areas

and it works well, i no of 2 occasions in our area were and early aggressive attack prevented it esculating .
it certanly helps to have those extra appliances there right from the start.
Smithy
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Smithy »

yeh we have zone 2 response areas around here. not 100% sure of where but i would guess the swamps maybe a good guess.
Fastlane
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster
Amateur callsign: VK6FLMZ

Post by Fastlane »

Smithy wrote:yeh we have zone 2 response areas around here. not 100% sure of where but i would guess the swamps maybe a good guess.
Zone 2/2A is specific to the Darling Scarp (its in the SOPs).

Anything else is a pre-plan. Smithy, search for it on the Volunteer Portal, there should be a map.. !
realfirie
Banned

Post by realfirie »

yeah thats correct fastlane, apart from whats in the pre plans there are no zone 2 response areas in the city of rockingham
Jonesy
Scanners and Receivers: Uniden UBCT9, Tait 2020/8200, GME 80Ch UHF

Post by Jonesy »

Smithy wrote:yeh we have zone 2 response areas around here. not 100% sure of where but i would guess the swamps maybe a good guess.
The Swamps are not officially zone 2 response but expect your pager to go off if there is one in the swamps, even tho the 2 big ones are not in your area, you will be there smithy. You better be anyway lol. Will no doubt be dual turnout if they go up, and expect helitacks there too as I ain't going in.
meg
Amateur callsign: VK6LUX
Scanners and Receivers: Yaesu: FT990, FT857, FT7800, VX7R. Icom: ID800H. Old RS scanner.

Post by meg »

Jonesy wrote:Will no doubt be dual turnout if they go up, and expect helitacks there too as I ain't going in.
I wouldn't either - swamps have tiger snakes in 'em!

WARSUG FESA and Scanning Special Events moderator
Smithy
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Smithy »

Jonesy wrote:
The Swamps are not officially zone 2 response but expect your pager to go off if there is one in the swamps, even tho the 2 big ones are not in your area, you will be there smithy. You better be anyway lol. Will no doubt be dual turnout if they go up, and expect helitacks there too as I ain't going in.
Millsy and i have decided we will sit on the road and wait :D :P
WadeH

Post by WadeH »

Up here from Upper Swan to Bullsbrook, Zone 2A is everything east of the Great Northern Hwy. Automatic bomber turnout!
VFS Volunteer, ASWA Member
munchkin1981
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by munchkin1981 »

the snakes will only bite u once
im sure they wont hurt much
It wasn't me honest.....it was the cat I'm sweet and innocent one :)
meg
Amateur callsign: VK6LUX
Scanners and Receivers: Yaesu: FT990, FT857, FT7800, VX7R. Icom: ID800H. Old RS scanner.

Post by meg »

WadeH wrote:Up here from Upper Swan to Bullsbrook, Zone 2A is everything east of the Great Northern Hwy. Automatic bomber turnout!
Much the same as here - I think anything east of Darlington is zone 2. Not so many tiger snakes up here at least - all I ever see is dugites and they will generally get out of your way!

WARSUG FESA and Scanning Special Events moderator