General fire discussions

WA Department of Fire and Emergency Services (6AR and 6IP) (Including the Fire Services, SES & VMRS) and Department of Biodiversity, Conservation and Attractions

Moderator: bogged

Bigfella78

Re: General fire discussions

Post by Bigfella78 »

meg wrote:
WadeH wrote:Up here from Upper Swan to Bullsbrook, Zone 2A is everything east of the Great Northern Hwy. Automatic bomber turnout!
Much the same as here - I think anything east of Darlington is zone 2. Not so many tiger snakes up here at least - all I ever see is dugites and they will generally get out of your way!
Gosnells VBFB also has Zone 2 turn out for anything on the eastern side of the Tonkin Hwy mainly due to the lack of water up there. FRS don't have a key to our water tank.
A52

"Just because your paranoid doesn't mean their not following you"
Jonesy
Scanners and Receivers: Uniden UBCT9, Tait 2020/8200, GME 80Ch UHF

Post by Jonesy »

Bigfella78 wrote:
meg wrote:
WadeH wrote:Up here from Upper Swan to Bullsbrook, Zone 2A is everything east of the Great Northern Hwy. Automatic bomber turnout!
Much the same as here - I think anything east of Darlington is zone 2. Not so many tiger snakes up here at least - all I ever see is dugites and they will generally get out of your way!
Gosnells VBFB also has Zone 2 turn out for anything on the eastern side of the Tonkin Hwy mainly due to the lack of water up there. FRS don't have a key to our water tank.
In the event that things get really desperate, we all have a key to any lock :)

Have not really been up that way before, but must be much the same as down my way; servere lack of water. But definately no shortage of fuel.
Smithy wrote:
Millsy and i have decided we will sit on the road and wait :D :P
Thats fine, you can sit that close. I will be the other side of rockingham just to make sure I dont get caught in it. Putting in a fire break on Patterson Road lol
Tyranus
Amateur callsign: VK6FWDH
Scanners and Receivers: UBC93XLT

Post by Tyranus »

meg wrote:
Includes Darlington, I believe our Western boundary is the western boundary for the Zone 2 response.
Stirling SES
Team Leader (Stirling 53)
Vertical Rescue Team Member
K9 7 Support

VK6FWDH
ex-Darlington FB
WARSUG Demi-God I mean Mod
If stupidity got me into this mess, why can't it get me out.
Bigfella78

Post by Bigfella78 »

[quote="Jonesy]
In the event that things get really desperate, we all have a key to any lock :)

Have not really been up that way before, but must be much the same as down my way; servere lack of water. But definately no shortage of fuel.
[/quote]

Yeah no shortage of fuel...we have an area that hasn't seen fire in 30+ years. I think I'll sit in Roleystone and wait for it there... The tanks not locked but you will a key..we don't want the locals stealing the water for their grass..lol
A52

meg
Amateur callsign: VK6LUX
Scanners and Receivers: Yaesu: FT990, FT857, FT7800, VX7R. Icom: ID800H. Old RS scanner.

fire comms

Post by meg »

Admittedly my scanner is struggling reception-wise a bit today, but then I'm indoors on the ducky antenna. However 6IP seem to be really struggling to hear the appliances calling in. Is it a new operator there? I imagine it would be a nightmare to work there on a day like this. Very stressfull!

WARSUG FESA and Scanning Special Events moderator
yorky

Post by yorky »

It sounds like appliances are also having radio reception issues as well as what channels they always need to be on.
"VKI, NJ050 will you be attending the job?"
"Negative VKI, my desk is bolted to the floor".
WARSUG General Scanning Moderator
Mug
150+ posts
150+ posts
Scanners and Receivers: UBC93xlt

Re: fire comms

Post by Mug »

meg wrote:Admittedly my scanner is struggling reception-wise a bit today, but then I'm indoors on the ducky antenna. However 6IP seem to be really struggling to hear the appliances calling in. Is it a new operator there? I imagine it would be a nightmare to work there on a day like this. Very stressfull!
Yeah and all the fires are in similar general areas.
¡¡¡ʎɐq-ǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq oʇ ƃuıoƃ ɯı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
Toottoot
Banned

Post by Toottoot »

Saw CLP lights and sirens heading east along Canning Hwy in Applecross at 430pm.
Jonesy
Scanners and Receivers: Uniden UBCT9, Tait 2020/8200, GME 80Ch UHF

Re: fire comms

Post by Jonesy »

meg wrote:Admittedly my scanner is struggling reception-wise a bit today, but then I'm indoors on the ducky antenna. However 6IP seem to be really struggling to hear the appliances calling in. Is it a new operator there? I imagine it would be a nightmare to work there on a day like this. Very stressfull!
At one stage around 5pm yesterday I heard 6IP/AR tell all appliances to wait out and not talk over the top of each other. It then turned from constant radio transmissions to nothing for about 2 minutes. Then the ComCen operater came back on and she sounded much more relaxed.

Not too sure, but at times it appeared a few of the aplliances managed to figure out switching repeater channels gave them a better reception. Some transmissions were coming in quite strong, others you could not read at all.
Helitak_670
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by Helitak_670 »

There has been a problem for the past month or so with the reception with the radio's. I have noticed it a fair bit with both of the vehicles that I am in down at the fire station. Also my scanner yesterday was scratchy to. The operators that are on the radio at comcen are the same ones.
Bigfella78

Post by Bigfella78 »

A solar wind stream is heading for Earth and it could cause geomagnetic storms when it arrives late on Dec. 30th or 31st.

Solar storms causing problems.. maybe?
A52

Helitak_670
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by Helitak_670 »

That's probably it. I have been getting pretty crappy comms at the airport to.
chrissss

Post by chrissss »

Last edited by chrissss on Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
philby
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by philby »

guildford capt just called released from fire ground returning to station unless you need us somewhere else (hint hint)
their keen as!
meg
Amateur callsign: VK6LUX
Scanners and Receivers: Yaesu: FT990, FT857, FT7800, VX7R. Icom: ID800H. Old RS scanner.

Post by meg »

philby wrote:guildford capt just called released from fire ground returning to station unless you need us somewhere else (hint hint)
their keen as!
Bless them and their keen as mustard socks on a hot day like this!

WARSUG FESA and Scanning Special Events moderator