General fire discussions

WA Department of Fire and Emergency Services (6AR and 6IP) (Including the Fire Services, SES & VMRS) and Department of Biodiversity, Conservation and Attractions

Moderator: bogged

dlcat1
150+ posts
150+ posts

Re: General fire discussions

Post by dlcat1 »

Kempa wrote:Although the 2.4 is a stand alone appliance it does not have an SO and it is part of the fire and rescue services duty of care to the public and its fire fighters that an officer attends every incident. no matter the size of the incident. if something were to go wrong or the firies didn't notice something or if there was a reignition later the firies would be accountable and thats not the way it works. Thats why the snapps get the big bucks!
Where would an SO fit in if they were BFS? FCO? Still struggling with the rank structure. :oops:
ace of spades

Post by ace of spades »

The 2.4 crew are not sent to any incident unless, there are exceptional, where there is no SO present. At all incidents that they attend there is a pump crew attached which has an SO which means that they come under their control. At no stage are they left on the fire ground with out an FRS SO
Kempa

Post by Kempa »

dead right.

coming from a VFRS back ground we wouldn't mobalise to an incident as a primary responder unless there was an officer present (Officer being captian, Leiutenant or Apps officer). For a back up incident we would turn out with a min of at least 1 senior member in each appliance (we had nominated senior members that were allowed to mobalise to back up incidents).

I would of hought this the same with BFS and most VFRS

Without an officer who does the FIRS (Fire Incident Reporting System before some asks) when you get back to station.

Its my feeling that an officer should be in attendence when a brigade respons as primary turn out to an incident as they have the experience and the knowlegde to up-grade/down-grade incidents and should have a resonable understanding of the SOPs and the reporting systems.
dlcat1
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by dlcat1 »

Sorry guys, I really don't have a clue how it works with BFS. When I was over there I worked in a forestry brigade. On our own fires the senior forester/land manager present would decide when it was safe to go home and do the paperwork, while on bigger fires we usually wound up working with DEC.

I'm asking because in NSW where I lived before, each truck/light unit regardless of type, couldn't respond to an incident unless we had a crew leader on board and they would make the calls and do the paperwork. Each brigade had a number of crew (say platoon) leaders and a captain and above them, at the region (say shire) level, you had group captains and FCOs (say district commander). I'm trying to work out whether the BFS is WA is vastly different.
Helitak_670
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by Helitak_670 »

BFS, some brigades will let Senior guys go out in lieu of a Lieutenant. The Senior person will do the paperwork, or the Officer if he/she attends in another vehicle.
rambler318

Post by rambler318 »

Helitak_670 wrote:BFS, some brigades will let Senior guys go out in lieu of a Lieutenant. The Senior person will do the paperwork, or the Officer if he/she attends in another vehicle.
Most BFS brigades have crew leaders in the appliance. The crew leader is responsible for classification, driving under emergency conditions and paperwork. In BFS world the crew leader is the IC when first arriving. This makes life much easier than only having a captain and 4 LT's to turn out to every job.
dlcat1
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by dlcat1 »

Thanks guys :) Have a great weekend.
auntys_eyes

Post by auntys_eyes »

My brigade is on standby to provide relief crews for our neighbouring VFRS brigade over this weekend if required. I drew the 0000-0600 shift tonight.
WARSUG Moderator - Media Section

VBFB Member

No onion, no garlic, no chilli, no pepper... NO POINT!!
gkoutlis

Post by gkoutlis »

auntys_eyes wrote:My brigade is on standby to provide relief crews for our neighbouring VFRS brigade over this weekend if required. I drew the 0000-0600 shift tonight.
Good luck matey :)

G
George
WARSUG Moderator
VFRS Member

"I am not one who was born in the possession of knowledge. I am one who is fond of antiquity, and earnest in seeking it there." — Confucius

Any views expressed in the above post are my own and do not necessarily depict or reflect the views or opinions of DFES/FRS or VBFB.
SmashedXR6T

Post by SmashedXR6T »

auntys_eyes wrote:My brigade is on standby to provide relief crews for our neighbouring VFRS brigade over this weekend if required. I drew the 0000-0600 shift tonight.
which brigade is this?
philby
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by philby »

Basso 2nd? we got a 1.4u sitting on station this weekend.
auntys_eyes

Post by auntys_eyes »

SmashedXR6T wrote:which brigade is this?
Philby is correct - Bassendean 2nd. Someone at the Muchea fire has asked for them to be paged, so we might be called up later on.

@Philby - might finally get to meet you tonight.
WARSUG Moderator - Media Section

VBFB Member

No onion, no garlic, no chilli, no pepper... NO POINT!!
kyeboi
150+ posts
150+ posts
Scanners and Receivers: UNIDEN UBC355XLT

Post by kyeboi »

is that the muchea fire !! i just got back from it was intense!!
KyeBoi

Yanchep VFRS
slipknot
150+ posts
150+ posts
Scanners and Receivers: Yaesu FT-857 Yaesu FT7800 Icom ID800H

Re: Significant bush/scrub fires 2010/2011

Post by slipknot »

Does anyone happen to know what the main frequency would be? I havnt done scanning for a while :D. Thanks
gkoutlis

Re: Significant bush/scrub fires 2010/2011

Post by gkoutlis »

Channel 96

G