General fire discussions

WA Department of Fire and Emergency Services (6AR and 6IP) (Including the Fire Services, SES & VMRS) and Department of Biodiversity, Conservation and Attractions

Moderator: bogged

philby
150+ posts
150+ posts

Re: General fire discussions

Post by philby »

Got a interesting radio SOP change other day. VFRS station no longer call off/on station unless its for a call. if its for a call all it will be is "station name & appilance" turning out to incident number "12345", crew of four, OIC donald duck.
ace of spades

Post by ace of spades »

I am guessing that they are trying to stop a lot of traffic on the radio system especially when times are busy. In the Comcen they have no way to record when a volunteer station is on or off station when they are not at an incident as they are not inbuilt to the system and it would be pretty hard for the operators to remember, thus telling them is a bit of a waste of time. Every career truck is linked to a system whereby it is recored when they are on and off station as well as being tracked by gps through there data terminal on each truck. This will only change when the volunteers trucks are fitted with this technology and that wont happen as it will come back to being too expensive.

It will stop a lot of radio traffic and poor radio ettiquette that I have heard on the radios as well
SmashedXR6T

Post by SmashedXR6T »

ace of spades wrote:I am guessing that they are trying to stop a lot of traffic on the radio system especially when times are busy. In the Comcen they have no way to record when a volunteer station is on or off station when they are not at an incident as they are not inbuilt to the system and it would be pretty hard for the operators to remember, thus telling them is a bit of a waste of time. Every career truck is linked to a system whereby it is recored when they are on and off station as well as being tracked by gps through there data terminal on each truck. This will only change when the volunteers trucks are fitted with this technology and that wont happen as it will come back to being too expensive.

It will stop a lot of radio traffic and poor radio ettiquette that I have heard on the radios as well
Ace, only metro VFRS stations are listed on the BAT board in Comcen, unfortunatley no BFB/VFS/BFS are listed on it as there is too many units which will probably require a extra 2-3 screens per operator to list them all. But it is up to the operator to change the status of that VFRS brigade as the poor vollie cousins are not privledge yet for the MDU's to be in vollie appliances, as it may be seen to be taking jobs away from CRFS if comcen mobilises the nearest appliances to that incident.
dlcat1
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by dlcat1 »

SmashedXR6T wrote: Ace, only metro VFRS stations are listed on the BAT board in Comcen, unfortunatley no BFB/VFS/BFS are listed on it as there is too many units which will probably require a extra 2-3 screens per operator to list them all...
Do they have a battle board up on the wall as well or is it all screen based now?
ace of spades

Post by ace of spades »

SmashedXR6T wrote: Ace, only metro VFRS stations are listed on the BAT board in Comcen, unfortunatley no BFB/VFS/BFS are listed on it as there is too many units which will probably require a extra 2-3 screens per operator to list them all. But it is up to the operator to change the status of that VFRS brigade as the poor vollie cousins are not privledge yet for the MDU's to be in vollie appliances, as it may be seen to be taking jobs away from CRFS if comcen mobilises the nearest appliances to that incident.
Yes that may be true that only the metro VFRS are on the battle board but the fact remains that they won't take jobs of the permies as it all comes down to what station comes up on the pop up and what ESL disrtrict it is. Even in ESL 1 there must be a permanent response. That is well documented.

All an MDT does is give the address which is what the vols get on the sms and pagers so FESA won't justify the cost. Especially when they activate pagers and sms when they get a call anyway, does it matter if you get the same when your off station.?

I don't think its a big deal just freeing up un neccesary radio transmissions like telling the comms that they are leaving the fire ground to get water. Seriously you dont need to tell the world you are getting water, just get it.

The battle board is just on a computer screen

enough of my rant
Helitak_670
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by Helitak_670 »

Phillby, I can not find that SOP that you refer to, only SOP 3 which was last updated in 2007.
WPXZBP

Post by WPXZBP »

Just a gentle reminder to all... this is not the forum for "us vs them" arguments. If you want to post that kind of rubbish here, expect to have your posts removed. Also remember to keep it civil - we're supposed to be adults here. :D
philby
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by philby »

Helitak_670 wrote:Phillby, I can not find that SOP that you refer to, only SOP 3 which was last updated in 2007.
I got told verbally about it. I think it will be out soon.
Helitak_670
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by Helitak_670 »

thanks.
rambler318

Post by rambler318 »

ace of spades wrote:I don't think its a big deal just freeing up un neccesary radio transmissions like telling the comms that they are leaving the fire ground to get water. Seriously you dont need to tell the world you are getting water, just get it.
Firstly this is not a very good example at all. No one ever tells the comcen they are going for water. Secondly, you obviously have never been a sector commander because if you have had, you would know that it is your responsibility to know where the appliances are that you are responsible for, at all times. After all, the Sector Commander IS RESPONSIBLE for the appliances and crew under their command. Prehaps you do not know as much as you think you do.
dlcat1
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by dlcat1 »

rambler318 wrote:
ace of spades wrote:I don't think its a big deal just freeing up un neccesary radio transmissions like telling the comms that they are leaving the fire ground to get water. Seriously you dont need to tell the world you are getting water, just get it.
Firstly this is not a very good example at all. No one ever tells the comcen they are going for water. Secondly, you obviously have never been a sector commander because if you have had, you would know that it is your responsibility to know where the appliances are that you are responsible for, at all times. After all, the Sector Commander IS RESPONSIBLE for the appliances and crew under their command. Prehaps you do not know as much as you think you do.
I've heard someone tell comcen they were going for water on the stream, so it does happen but I do agree with your point re the IC or SC needing to know where units are.

If the Incident is being run from an command post in the field, then the relevant fireground channel will get used by a unit to notify the IC or SC of movements right? Although I'm still wondering what a unit at an incident would do if it was the only one there and did need to leave the field for some reason? Can anyone help me here?
Helitak_670
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by Helitak_670 »

you just go get water and leave and come back. No need to call up 6ar/ip
rambler318

Post by rambler318 »

Helitak_670 wrote:you just go get water and leave and come back. No need to call up 6ar/ip
Again, another person is missing the point. If anyone calls the comcen it is because they are on the wrong channel. They must be informing their sector commander that they are leaving the fire ground. This is not rocket science.
Helitak_670
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by Helitak_670 »

rambler, I was replying to dlcat1's question at an incident if your by yourself as a brigade/unit. I am well aware of sc/ic radio calls and some people stuffing up and calling 6ar/ip. So I am not missing the point, and I hate using the quote function. Especially when people do quote after quote.
bohong

Post by bohong »

rambler318 wrote:
Helitak_670 wrote:you just go get water and leave and come back. No need to call up 6ar/ip
Again, another person is missing the point. If anyone calls the comcen it is because they are on the wrong channel. They must be informing their sector commander that they are leaving the fire ground. This is not rocket science.
Rambler,
I was at at job last week and a certain brigade appliance was heard calling 6IP and informing them they were off the fire ground for water. There were no sectors involved, only an IC. So they were not on the wrong channel, and they called 6IP directly, and there comments are on the incident notes. So it does happen, therefore don't say it doesn't.
I heard it myself along with others that asked why are they letting 6IP know?
I have not mentioned the brigade so as to keep some ethical standing in this forum