General fire discussions

WA Department of Fire and Emergency Services (6AR and 6IP) (Including the Fire Services, SES & VMRS) and Department of Biodiversity, Conservation and Attractions

Moderator: bogged

WPXZBP

Re: General fire discussions

Post by WPXZBP »

Zebedee wrote:The Victorian government make decisions that they believe are right for their state. It is not our place to second guess those decisions and/or why the same type of aircraft is or isn't avialable in WA.
Our environmental conditions was one of the reasons to not choose the Skycrane (aka Elvis etc) helicopters and for choosing the Squirrels and Fire-Kings.
written_ficton
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by written_ficton »

brocks wrote:if it aint no good the dc 10 that is,why did the vic goverment bring it out here,the state is a lot smaller than wa and much more heavily populated than wa,my opinion just a point scoring exercise when it stuffed up the firefight last year,just a knee jerk reaction to keep the people in victoria happy.like some of us on here said it would have been a good exercise to trial it under bad fire conditions in wa over the last week if the 2 state governments had of come to some agreement but only up at lancelin and enneabba where there were big firefronts.if it aint going to be used then dont bring it out here,be very interesting to see what happens in victoria next summer
The DC-10 is good, it does a terrific job! Its a conversion was around thoughts to why it wouldnt be good here in WA.
I've closed the door!
Bigfella78

Post by Bigfella78 »

How many places in WA could you land A DC-10? I can't see one getting clearance to land at Jandakot, would they?
A52

"Just because your paranoid doesn't mean their not following you"
written_ficton
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by written_ficton »

Bigfella78 wrote:How many places in WA could you land A DC-10? I can't see one getting clearance to land at Jandakot, would they?
Perth & Pearce, possibly Kalgoorlie and definate Learmonth
I've closed the door!
Helitak_670
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by Helitak_670 »

That's one Looooong drop.
WadeH

Post by WadeH »

As a firefighter on the ground, has anyone thought of how all of us on the fireground are supposed to clear the drop zone when the DC - 10 is inbound? I'm told its bad enough being dumped on by a helitak!
VFS Volunteer, ASWA Member
Nafenn

Post by Nafenn »

Bigfella78 wrote:How many places in WA could you land A DC-10? I can't see one getting clearance to land at Jandakot, would they?
Perth, Possibly Pearce (although they landed a B1 there a few years ago and it cracked a few taxiways), and Learmonth - the alternate airport for most international airliners
Nathan Fenn
WARSUG Aviation Band & Reviews Moderator

Anything I say is my opinion, and has nothing to do with/does not reflect the views of anyone I was/am/will be involved with/employed by/volunteer for/associated with. There, I think that should cover it!
written_ficton
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by written_ficton »

Nafenn wrote:
Perth, Possibly Pearce (although they landed a B1 there a few years ago and it cracked a few taxiways), and Learmonth - the alternate airport for most international airliners
Pearce is a yes, I'm led to believe that Pearce was set to do a new resurface of the runway not long after the B-1, this sealed its fate?
I've closed the door!
Bigfella78

Post by Bigfella78 »

WadeH wrote:As a firefighter on the ground, has anyone thought of how all of us on the fireground are supposed to clear the drop zone when the DC - 10 is inbound? I'm told its bad enough being dumped on by a helitak!
I would suggest they wouldn't used it with fire fighters on the ground in the drop zone..

If they did I would say, underneath your truck would be a good place to be..
A52

"Just because your paranoid doesn't mean their not following you"
Tyranus
Amateur callsign: VK6FWDH
Scanners and Receivers: UBC93XLT

Post by Tyranus »

Bigfella78 wrote:
WadeH wrote:As a firefighter on the ground, has anyone thought of how all of us on the fireground are supposed to clear the drop zone when the DC - 10 is inbound? I'm told its bad enough being dumped on by a helitak!
I would suggest they wouldn't used it with fire fighters on the ground in the drop zone..

If they did I would say, underneath your truck would be a good place to be..
even then you'd probably get washed out...
Stirling SES
Team Leader (Stirling 53)
Vertical Rescue Team Member
K9 7 Support

VK6FWDH
ex-Darlington FB
WARSUG Demi-God I mean Mod
If stupidity got me into this mess, why can't it get me out.
HL 101

Post by HL 101 »

Last edited by HL 101 on Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
yorky

Post by yorky »

I hear them every day.

Try some other freq's like 164.000 (Canning Mills), 78.100 (Canning Mills), or if 78.125 used to be clear for you try 163.250 (Red Hill). Otherwise there is also 78.050 (Claremont) and 78.075 (Wanneroo).

Personally 78.125 was always the worst for me.
"VKI, NJ050 will you be attending the job?"
"Negative VKI, my desk is bolted to the floor".
WARSUG General Scanning Moderator
LighteningCrashes
150+ posts
150+ posts
Scanners and Receivers: Tait2020

Post by LighteningCrashes »

written_ficton wrote:
Perth & Pearce, possibly Kalgoorlie and definate Learmonth
Curtin has the length also.
melg

Post by melg »

Some footage on the earthquake in Kalgoorlie

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php ... 808&ref=mf

Found this footage on the Goldfields Facebook page, has Kalgoorlie Fire Brigade. Might be of interest to someone?

Sorry boys doesn't look like the skimpies will be on tonight at the Golden Eagle Hotel!
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

Good too see the selcall working correctly :)