General fire discussions

WA Department of Fire and Emergency Services (6AR and 6IP) (Including the Fire Services, SES & VMRS) and Department of Biodiversity, Conservation and Attractions

Moderator: bogged

brocks

Re: Significant bush/scrub fires 2009/2010

Post by brocks »

brocks wrote:bunning rd gidgie fire was cranking along early when i went for a look,the fire was up gidgie end of bunning rd grass/scrub, at one stage there was supposed to be children trapped in a house alone,also they asked for ambo to take firefighter to hospital for heat stress/smoke inhalation,crews done a great job in knocking it down as quick as they did,just glad the wind from this morning had died right down to almost nothing or we might have had another brigadoon or worse,once again great effort by all fireman/firewomen =D>
i heard scanner at work say there was a fire in bunning rd gidgie, as i looked over that direction i could see a large column of smoke start to rise.i live in bunning rd so i jumped in my car and drove down bunning rd at the legal speed of course to the fire area to check it out and see how far from my home it was.it was burning fiercly at that stage in a large group of trees black/brown smoke nice column going up.as i had my scanner in the car with me a call from the fireground came though to say there was 2 children home alone and trapped not my words but fireground traffic talk,could a unit please go to the address imediately and collect them from the path of the fire.another call came through asking for an ambulance to treat a fireman who had heatstress/smoke inahalation.there was very little wind there at the time which helped the firies gain the upper hand.im sure if you ask anyone of them if the wind had still been blowing like it was earlier it could have been a very different outcome.FACT NOT MADE UP i was there watching from roadway.firies once again you are all legands great job controling this fire so quickly =D> just reporting what i seen and heard thats the facts of life the reality of fire
donks
150+ posts
150+ posts

strike teams

Post by donks »

can someone clarify what exactly a 'strike team' is?!
Tyranus
Amateur callsign: VK6FWDH
Scanners and Receivers: UBC93XLT

Re: strike teams

Post by Tyranus »

donks wrote:can someone clarify what exactly a 'strike team' is?!
Certainly!
A strike team is similar to a task force in that it is an assembly of appliances for example in Toodyay there was Midland, Daglish, Fremantle 1st and another pump that made the Career FRS Strike team. This particular strike team was then tasked for asset protection. There are other strike teams for other things but usually they're mobilised promptly while the incident is still ramping up and so usually arrive under fire call conditions.
Once the incident is under control chainsaw strike teams may be setup by DEC to fell trees that are a hazard etc.
Subsequent teams sent to an incident during mop up are usually called task forces, even though a strike team is essentially a task force.
Some folks may like to argue the finer details but this should fairly well cover what you're after.
Stirling SES
Team Leader (Stirling 53)
Vertical Rescue Team Member
K9 7 Support

VK6FWDH
ex-Darlington FB
WARSUG Demi-God I mean Mod
If stupidity got me into this mess, why can't it get me out.
Kempa

Post by Kempa »

a Strike Team is a set number of resources that have an established minimum number of Personel. Strike teams always have a leader(usually in a seperate vehicle) and have a common communication system. usually designed for a rapid response to a problem.

Similar to a task force - a combination or resources assembled for a specific purpose. Task Forces always have a leader (usually in a seperate vehicle) and have a common communications system. Task Forces are established to meet tactical needs and may be demobed when the specific operation is complete.

Task Forces usually contain a broader range of appliances. strike teams usually contain appliances of similar capabilities. Strike team of Light tankers and 2.4s. Task force of HSR, pumps, 2.4 and light tankers.
BuddahFRS
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by BuddahFRS »

from my background

A STRIKE TEAM is set up to do a task when the fire is out of control. either to fight the fire or used for asset protection. pretty much if you are in the strike team prepare for a lot of action.

A TASK FORCE is set up when the fire is contained. pretty much doing a 12 hour shift on a control line and assisting in mop up operations, usually they send up task force teams to give the local guys a break from the fire. for example. a few years ago when the bush fire in Julimar. 2 task force teams were set up to patrol the control lines. one was a day team. and i went up on the night team. pretty much we just patrolled the control line for hop overs and put out any hot spots. we were there to give the fire fighter from julimar and toodyay a break and some rest.
----BUDDAH VFRS----
Fastlane
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster
Amateur callsign: VK6FLMZ

Re: General fire discussions

Post by Fastlane »

The terms are defined in the training material in some of the advanced courses. The definition Kempa gave is on the money. They have nothing to do with when a fire is contained... Sorry Buddah!
BuddahFRS
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by BuddahFRS »

Fastlane wrote:The terms are defined in the training material in some of the advanced courses. The definition Kempa gave is on the money. They have nothing to do with when a fire is contained... Sorry Buddah!
ah ok. what i said is just from personal experience.
----BUDDAH VFRS----
gkoutlis

Post by gkoutlis »

Was on Orrong Rd heading home from Motorplex late this arvo, and was driving along side Perth 2nd and Perth LT which had the marking of (Perth UTE) even though its a LT.

I'm assuming they were at the Fire at Wilson/Cannington?

G
George
WARSUG Moderator
VFRS Member

"I am not one who was born in the possession of knowledge. I am one who is fond of antiquity, and earnest in seeking it there." — Confucius

Any views expressed in the above post are my own and do not necessarily depict or reflect the views or opinions of DFES/FRS or VBFB.
duck driver

Post by duck driver »

hey dose any body know if there going to build the cockburn fire station Tamara Dr, Cockburn Central ?
ace of spades

Post by ace of spades »

duck driver wrote:hey dose any body know if there going to build the cockburn fire station Tamara Dr, Cockburn Central ?
There is no plans to build a fire station in Cockburn. There are plans however to build a new administration headquarters and Communications centre in cockburn starting this year some time. Hope this helps
duck driver

Post by duck driver »

ok cheers
spartacus
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster
Amateur callsign: ONEDAYILLGETIT
Scanners and Receivers: ubc92xlt

Post by spartacus »

Thanks for the update Mr G,
What frequency were you monitoring? Just trying to widen my horizons......
WPXZBP

Post by WPXZBP »

I was monitoring Red Hill channel 306 for the same info.
spartacus
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster
Amateur callsign: ONEDAYILLGETIT
Scanners and Receivers: ubc92xlt

Post by spartacus »

Thanks for that, I'm kind of new to the FESA section.
gkoutlis

Post by gkoutlis »

[quote="spartacus"]Thanks for the update Mr G,
What frequency were you monitoring? Just trying to widen my horizons......[/quote]

Sparts, I took the leap of faith and tuned into the Online Scanner from Warsug - and yeah it's what I was listening to most afternoon :)

G