General fire discussions

WA Department of Fire and Emergency Services (6AR and 6IP) (Including the Fire Services, SES & VMRS) and Department of Biodiversity, Conservation and Attractions

Moderator: bogged

lytec

Re: General fire discussions

Post by lytec »

But couldnt it be parked overnight were the three Ozjet planes are.There is plenty of room there at the moment.
Tyranus
Amateur callsign: VK6FWDH
Scanners and Receivers: UBC93XLT

Post by Tyranus »

Just had Midland heading towards Guildford way in a big hurry. Use of air horn to the extreme. From what I've gathered quite a few people won't use the horn unless en route to confirmed structural or Road Crash. That's also the impression I've gained from working just down the road from Midland. Did anyone hear their turnout message at all??
Stirling SES
Team Leader (Stirling 53)
Vertical Rescue Team Member
K9 7 Support

VK6FWDH
ex-Darlington FB
WARSUG Demi-God I mean Mod
If stupidity got me into this mess, why can't it get me out.
MBFB

Post by MBFB »

yeh midland turning out to a scrubfire dont know the street confrimed 2nd alarm and a few km away still
Tyranus

Post by Tyranus »

Ok thanks.
Stirling SES
K9 7 Support

VK6FWDH
ex-Darlington FB
meg
Amateur callsign: VK6LUX
Scanners and Receivers: Yaesu: FT990, FT857, FT7800, VX7R. Icom: ID800H. Old RS scanner.

Post by meg »

I can see two fires from the balcony - one looks like the Midland one (quite a bit of smoke) the other is perhaps around Belmont and is a bit smaller.

WARSUG FESA and Scanning Special Events moderator
written_ficton
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by written_ficton »

lytec wrote:But couldnt it be parked overnight were the three Ozjet planes are.There is plenty of room there at the moment.
Doubtful, I wouldnt image the dence of the concrete would be hard/deep enough for a jet like a DC-10. Those bays are only 737 capacity
I've closed the door!
treeny
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by treeny »

Scrub fire Swan river foreshore, belmont. Not sure on the other one
MELVILLE 80
The worst in nature brings out the best in us! STATE EMERGENCY SERVICE WE SERVE
Nafenn

Post by Nafenn »

written_ficton wrote:2. Space You can't just park an aircraft this size anywhere! The specific bays [remote] that is are capable of accomodating smaller sized aircraft during the day / overnight. Remote bays over in the international area would probably be the safe bet, unfortunately this bay is not always available.

Pearce however should be alot better, it has the space, less traffic and can handle aircraft like this with ease.
They'd most likely park it at Gate 50 at Perth.

For Pearce, as it's a military base, security restrictions would be higher and wouldn't necessarily lend itself to being suitable for housing a fire fighting aircraft. Pearce is also not always a controlled aerodrome and is only activated when necessary whereas Perth is always controlled and is closer to Perth's major facilities.

Perth's main runway is over 1,000 metres longer than the longest runway at Pearce, an aircraft that size and weight may need all the space it can take.
Nathan Fenn
WARSUG Aviation Band & Reviews Moderator

Anything I say is my opinion, and has nothing to do with/does not reflect the views of anyone I was/am/will be involved with/employed by/volunteer for/associated with. There, I think that should cover it!
ace of spades

Post by ace of spades »

Tyranus wrote:Just had Midland heading towards Guildford way in a big hurry. Use of air horn to the extreme. From what I've gathered quite a few people won't use the horn unless en route to confirmed structural or Road Crash. That's also the impression I've gained from working just down the road from Midland. Did anyone hear their turnout message at all??
Have no Idea where you get that impression from Tyranus but it is absolutely false. The use of the air horn is generally used when very unattentaive drivers who are not watching the road and are not moving over need a little wake up call. I have seen the air horn being used when crews are going to DBA's for example and it is a very useful tool in waking up sleeping drivers. You may not know cause you have never done it, but driving a Large vehicle like that through traffic is a little different to driving an LT through traffic like you are used to at Darlington.
Helitak_670
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by Helitak_670 »

Hey I would love a air horn to be fitted to the tanker.

As for the DC-10 there is plenty of room at Perth airport.
Tyranus

Post by Tyranus »

ace of spades, granted they are different to drive. I have driven trucks (not fire trucks) a bit and know that it's easier to just keep going, however that statement was what I learnt from a mate who is FRS and he spoke for himself and said there's quite a lot of guys that believe the same thing. Sure there will be plenty who use the horn at nearly every red light they arrive at, likewise there will be some that use it maybe once a month. I didn't say everyone follows that basis only a few which means that my statement is correct if 3 firefighters follow that principal when driving the pump.
Stirling SES
K9 7 Support

VK6FWDH
ex-Darlington FB
Gohie

Post by Gohie »

Can anyone shed some lght on what incident is occurring in Serpentine this morning? Just turn on the scanner and hear Oakford 9.2 turning out
Jem
Scanners and Receivers: Uniden
Bearcat UBC9000XLT (Base)
Bearcat UBC72XLT (Handheld)
Bearcat UBC760XLT (Mobile)

Post by Jem »

Gohie

Post by Gohie »

Thanks Jem. Right on to it
Jem
Scanners and Receivers: Uniden
Bearcat UBC9000XLT (Base)
Bearcat UBC72XLT (Handheld)
Bearcat UBC760XLT (Mobile)

Post by Jem »

Currently only hearing 6AR on 164.2750
Unable to hear any o9ther traffic but 6AR are responding to calls.
Any ideas?