General fire discussions

WA Department of Fire and Emergency Services (6AR and 6IP) (Including the Fire Services, SES & VMRS) and Department of Biodiversity, Conservation and Attractions

Moderator: bogged

brocks

Re: General fire discussions

Post by brocks »

over yesterday i also heard task forces from kalamunda,serpintine and armadale at various stages being sent
WadeH

Post by WadeH »

Bullsbrook taskforce about to leave for Toodyay (departing 17;00 hrs) Me too.
VFS Volunteer, ASWA Member
treeny
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by treeny »

TEN News reported that 37 homes were lost and that preliminary investigations lead to Western Power being to blame for ignition.
MELVILLE 80
The worst in nature brings out the best in us! STATE EMERGENCY SERVICE WE SERVE
Tyranus
Amateur callsign: VK6FWDH
Scanners and Receivers: UBC93XLT

Post by Tyranus »

auntys_eyes wrote:
written_ficton wrote:
Tyranus wrote:LOL @ request for units turned out!
Wouldnt presume it was that funny Tyranus? I merly asked to see what units would have turned out to a fire like that.
I assume, like me, that Tyranus was laughing at the fact that, due to the size of the response, there were more units there than could be easily listed. Whilst travelling to, working on and returning from the fire i heard and dozens and dozens and dozens of callsigns. Tyranus' list above is very impressive from memory but represents only part of the total response, not including Water Corp, Western Power, traffic management, aircraft support, water supply trucks etc etc. On top of that many, many locals were out and about in their own private vehicles either fire fighting and/or providing water and earth moving equipment.
Spot on, the incident itself was rather sobering. However as you can see by my list and the extra support listed by auntys_eyes it would be impossible to be able to list every single appliance involved.
Stirling SES
Team Leader (Stirling 53)
Vertical Rescue Team Member
K9 7 Support

VK6FWDH
ex-Darlington FB
WARSUG Demi-God I mean Mod
If stupidity got me into this mess, why can't it get me out.
Dosouthwest

Post by Dosouthwest »

DEC also had crews out there they had 6 truck from perth hills 1 loader 2 dozer good job done by all the vollie and frs and dec
WPXZBP

Post by WPXZBP »

philby wrote:Meckering something.
From memory they have a 2.4R.
gkoutlis

Post by gkoutlis »

Looks like we have a new tool to the Air Wing Arsenal to combat bush fires in WA this season.

A DC-10 Jumbo - aparantly...

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/-/wa ... r-on-call/

G
George
WARSUG Moderator
VFRS Member

"I am not one who was born in the possession of knowledge. I am one who is fond of antiquity, and earnest in seeking it there." — Confucius

Any views expressed in the above post are my own and do not necessarily depict or reflect the views or opinions of DFES/FRS or VBFB.
timS

Post by timS »

Does anyone have any more information regarding what happened to Chidlow's units? specifically the light tanker... would like to know as that is my old brigade...
written_ficton
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by written_ficton »

gkoutlis wrote:Looks like we have a new tool to the Air Wing Arsenal to combat bush fires in WA this season.

G
WAC would not be impressed.... Another aircraft to park.

Would be better suited to Pearce!
I've closed the door!
Q4004
Location: Waiting for frequencie info on Transport in Western Australia

Post by Q4004 »

Roads around the Toodyay bushfire area remain closed.

Last night at 9:00pm marked two years since 3 truckies lost thier lives on the Great Eastern Highway when a fire erupted in a national park.
Tyranus
Amateur callsign: VK6FWDH
Scanners and Receivers: UBC93XLT

Post by Tyranus »

Q4004 wrote:Roads around the Toodyay bushfire area remain closed.

Last night at 9:00pm marked two years since 3 truckies lost thier lives on the Great Eastern Highway when a fire erupted in a national park.
The light tanker had a tree drop on it. Smashed the beacons and did significant damage to the vehicle, more was described to me however I can't remember. But essentially it's a write off as far as a fire fighting appliance goes for the moment anyway. They may be able to fix it, not sure.
Stirling SES
Team Leader (Stirling 53)
Vertical Rescue Team Member
K9 7 Support

VK6FWDH
ex-Darlington FB
WARSUG Demi-God I mean Mod
If stupidity got me into this mess, why can't it get me out.
observer
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by observer »

written_ficton wrote:
gkoutlis wrote:Looks like we have a new tool to the Air Wing Arsenal to combat bush fires in WA this season.

G

Why would WAC not be impressed. If you read the article the aircraft will be based at Avalon, in Victoria.
written_ficton
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by written_ficton »

observer wrote:
written_ficton wrote:

G

Why would WAC not be impressed. If you read the article the aircraft will be based at Avalon, in Victoria.
Read it again observer...

I was on about this
"There are also logistics and space constraints at Perth Airport which we are currently investigating
If the a.c would be required by WA it would be parked at YPPH, refuel, stage etc etc. WAC have enough problems on their hands parking the aircraft now, a DC-10 will be more than likely a huge logistical problems.

Hence Pearce could be a better solution.
I've closed the door!
observer
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by observer »

For the amount of times this aircraft can be reasonably be expected to be used in WA, it wouldn't be much of a headace for WAC. It would only be reasonably expected that this aircraft may be called 1 to 3 times in one season. Remember it takes 4 hours to get here, so it would have to be a big fire to justify it flying over. The aircraft would only be here until the fire is contained, so it would only be reasonably expected that this aircraft will be parked up for 1 night at the most.

Then you have questions on how the aircraft is to be refilled (with water). Will this be done by the airport fireys (either at Perth or Pearce), will the FRS be asked supply a pump to fill it, or will it be done by private contract. If the last 2 options are used, Perth airport would be an easier solution than Pearce.
written_ficton
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by written_ficton »

"There are also logistics and space constraints at Perth Airport which we are currently investigating"
I think you lack the understanding of what this aircraft is, or havn't been out to the airport recently and seen how hectic it is? Unfortunately bringing a DC-10 to Perth is not as easy as 123, nor can you compare it to the biggest helicopter FESA currently uses.

You have to remember the following when bringing in a new aircraft basic rules:

1. Logistics Tugs, towbars, sevicing equipment the list goes on to actually serve the aircraft for when it gets on the ground

2. Space You can't just park an aircraft this size anywhere! The specific bays [remote] that is are capable of accomodating smaller sized aircraft during the day / overnight. Remote bays over in the international area would probably be the safe bet, unfortunately this bay is not always available.

Pearce however should be alot better, it has the space, less traffic and can handle aircraft like this with ease.

Then you put it would FESA be required to send a pump? Why would you when the airport tenders should be able to cope in filling the aircraft with ease, your taking an asset that could be used better.
I've closed the door!