General fire discussions

WA Department of Fire and Emergency Services (6AR and 6IP) (Including the Fire Services, SES & VMRS) and Department of Biodiversity, Conservation and Attractions

Moderator: bogged

wizzard

Re: Significant bush/scrub fires 2009/2010

Post by wizzard »

[quote="written_ficton"]The Big G's ROLLING![/quote]

Nah not him :)
BuddahFRS
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by BuddahFRS »

damn summer lightning storms. this is what caused a major panic about 5 years ago. the Sunday before xmas, where there was a 4th Alarm bush fire in mundijong at 1300, then the summer storm came across at 1500 and started something like 5 fires around forrestdale which went to 6th Alarm and yeah then the stuff hit the fan. with canning mills going up as well (3rd Alarm). it was the same day when they sent the CLP from freo to a wood factory fire. and to make things even worse, the lightning caused a power outage and there was no water in Claremont.

Was quite interesting and yeah one of my first major Bush Fires, and the first call i poo-ed myself at when i jumped out of the HSR and the fire jumped over the truck.

Good Times
brocks

Re: General fire discussions

Post by brocks »

why would they call for trucks from kalamunda area to go to reen rd fire at gidgegannup instead of using closer bridgades like mt helena,mundaring,darlington etc,they should have jumped on this fire alot earlier,i specifically heard 6ar ask midland if more trucks where needed and they said they should be able to handle it,when more trucks where needed they got them from parkerville,fare enough,but kalamunda took a good 30 plus min to get there anyone else have any thoughts on this? this fire started at around 11.00am,berry rd and bailup didnt start until at least 3.30pm after thunderstorm past though
WPXZBP

Post by WPXZBP »

You'll have to ask the staff who made the call. We can't answer those sorts of questions, nor should you expect an answer. This is a scanner forum and not a mind-reading forum.
BuddahFRS
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by BuddahFRS »

brocks wrote:why would they call for trucks from kalamunda area to go to reen rd fire at gidgegannup instead of using closer bridgades like mt helena,mundaring,darlington etc,they should have jumped on this fire alot earlier,i specifically heard 6ar ask midland if more trucks where needed and they said they should be able to handle it,when more trucks where needed they got them from parkerville,fare enough,but kalamunda took a good 30 plus min to get there anyone else have any thoughts on this? this fire started at around 11.00am,berry rd and bailup didnt start until at least 3.30pm after thunderstorm past though
***THIS IS NOT THE EXACT ANSWER TO THIS STATEMENT BUT JUST AN ASSUMPTION.***

there are a lot of factors that deal with this but one thing that come to mind is that, some Brigades operate differently, Kalamunda has shire crews that man the trucks during work hours, so they prob mobilized Kalamunda as they know that they will have a crew, as we all know with vollie stations, sometimes during the hours of 6am to 6pm its hard to get a crew to attend day time fire calls.
----BUDDAH VFRS----
auntys_eyes

Post by auntys_eyes »

brocks wrote:why would they call for trucks from kalamunda area to go to reen rd fire at gidgegannup instead of using closer bridgades like mt helena,mundaring,darlington etc
The fires started in the Swan shire and many of the Swan brigades' vehicles were present. If water was an issue then larger tankers were probably requested. Only some of the Mundaring shire brigades have large tankers (3.4Us & 3.4Rs). The vehicles requested from Kalamaunda shire brigades might have been large tankers.
WARSUG Moderator - Media Section

VBFB Member

No onion, no garlic, no chilli, no pepper... NO POINT!!
brocks

Post by brocks »

thanks aunty and buddah good to get some positive feedback was just wondering why,they would bring kalamunda trucks in before some of the hills bridgades and you both have gone a fair way to answer my question and curiosity thanks again :D
treeny
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by treeny »

Its not uncommon for jandakot 9.2 and oakford 7.2??? to be called to major incidents as bulk water carriers. have heard them on the radio before
MELVILLE 80
The worst in nature brings out the best in us! STATE EMERGENCY SERVICE WE SERVE
kwn

Post by kwn »

I saw the fire today at the meat packers on stock rd. There was bright yellow smoke pumping out. Does anyone know what produces bright yellow smoke when burning??
Enviro

Post by Enviro »

kwn wrote:I saw the fire today at the meat packers on stock rd. There was bright yellow smoke pumping out. Does anyone know what produces bright yellow smoke when burning??
sulphur does when it burns but can't see why there would of been sulphur in there. But with all the combination of chemicals that alot of the building would of been made off, it could of been anything.
Enviro
Please consider the environment
treeny
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by treeny »

Insulation from the cold stores. DEC was monitoring the fumes
MELVILLE 80
The worst in nature brings out the best in us! STATE EMERGENCY SERVICE WE SERVE
pacestick
150+ posts
150+ posts
Scanners and Receivers: Pro handheld scanner
Bearcat scanner
Wuoxun

Post by pacestick »

[quote="brocks"]why would they call for trucks from kalamunda area to go to reen rd fire at gidgegannup instead of using closer bridgades like mt helena,mundaring,darlington etc"

its kind of weird because one of those fires was very close to our shire boundary and they called Units 30-40 mins away when theres units 10KMs away.
Volunteer BFS.
VK6FIRE
Helitak_670
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by Helitak_670 »

Due to the fact that Mundaring shire required some vehicles to be stationed in their area for any other possible fires.
Tyranus
Amateur callsign: VK6FWDH
Scanners and Receivers: UBC93XLT

Post by Tyranus »

Have a look at dates posted folks, you're answering questions about fires that occured in early November not the recent ones with information from the recent ones. It's up to upper level management about who goes and who stays and protects their patch etc. There could have been some other reason in particular which you may not know.
Stirling SES
Team Leader (Stirling 53)
Vertical Rescue Team Member
K9 7 Support

VK6FWDH
ex-Darlington FB
WARSUG Demi-God I mean Mod
If stupidity got me into this mess, why can't it get me out.
gkoutlis

Post by gkoutlis »

Any fires around the metro area tonight, alot of smoke in the air in general...

G