General fire discussions

WA Department of Fire and Emergency Services (6AR and 6IP) (Including the Fire Services, SES & VMRS) and Department of Biodiversity, Conservation and Attractions

Moderator: bogged

gkoutlis

Re: General fire discussions

Post by gkoutlis »

Sweet, thought that was you. I noticed you guys heading back to base when I left just after 10:35pm or so - you guys were coming out from a road - the Spectacles??

Either way, I manage to snap a couple of shots, will post on Monday.

Good seeing you.

G
George
WARSUG Moderator
VFRS Member

"I am not one who was born in the possession of knowledge. I am one who is fond of antiquity, and earnest in seeking it there." — Confucius

Any views expressed in the above post are my own and do not necessarily depict or reflect the views or opinions of DFES/FRS or VBFB.
written_ficton
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by written_ficton »

Heard Malaga got turned out to a scrub fire that was deliberatly light. Malaga advised 6AR that a member of public has got photo's of young boys starting fire... asked police to turn out...

Hope they nail the edit of dodgy language though the sentiment is understood by mod **** heard on the radio this morning, they are changing the legislation to make it earier to charge people
I've closed the door!
Fastlane
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster
Amateur callsign: VK6FLMZ

Post by Fastlane »

written_ficton wrote:Heard Malaga got turned out to a scrub fire that was deliberatly light. Malaga advised 6AR that a member of public has got photo's of young boys starting fire... asked police to turn out...

Hope they nail the barstards **** heard on the radio this morning, they are changing the legislation to make it earier to charge people
they've been talking about this for quite a while now. Will believe it when its done, instead of the usual political waffle about doing it..

in reality though, its not charging them thats the problem... its catching them
realfirie
Banned

Post by realfirie »

A couple of weeks ago i watched 3 12yr olds light a fire just up from my house i chased the {ADMIN EDIT: Keep the language civil thanks!} down and held them until the police arrived. The fire was only bout 300m2 but caused about $1000 damage to a neighbouring house (fences).
The police then informed me that they admitted to lighting it by playing with matches and accidently dropping one. Therefore as it was a accident and the fact they were 12 the police said the would not be charged.
I just cant see how playing with matches in dry bushland on a 30 degree day with strong winds can be a accident. Yes it may have been a minor incident compared to others but hey there all minor to start with.

It seems to me that there is not much point in catching or reporting these offenders as despite what is said on the media the police just dont seem bothered. Maybe its all just to hard................

Also who pays for the damage?
yorky

Post by yorky »

Insurance would pay for the fence damage, through the home owner. If no insurance then the home owner I imagine would need to take the child's parents to court for damages (oh which court costs and time would mean you'd barely get any back and that IF the court rules in there favour!)

The big issue is that kids don't understand what can happen. And when they do 'accidentally the whole bush' Police/courts have to prove/be proven that the child understood what he/she was doing was a malicious act. All the kid has to say is "I didn't know that would happen" and they are off the hook. Gets worse as they get younger. It's only once they really hit mid teens/18 and over that they can't really use that excuse any more.

Several large fires in the past month were caused by kids who were caught, 90% of them were let off with no more than a warning.
"VKI, NJ050 will you be attending the job?"
"Negative VKI, my desk is bolted to the floor".
WARSUG General Scanning Moderator
dlcat1
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by dlcat1 »

Does anyone have any info on a large fire burning in the Collie area. The smoke plume can be seen from the Bunbury CBD and is starting to look quite well developed.

No info on FESA or DEC websites and Sentinel shows one hotspot N of Worsley refinery site.
Helitak_670
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by Helitak_670 »

HUge fire out at York. Looked like firebird 611 was heading out that way.
dlcat1
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by dlcat1 »

If my plume did come from the fire at York, It is huge, I'm pretty sure mine was closer though.
Infernal
Scanners and Receivers: Uniden UBC60XLT

Post by Infernal »

Did any one catch what happened at the Airport yesterday, i saw some of it on the news, but i was down in mandurah and some one was talking :evil: but one of the paramedics said Kewdale Ambulance got called to a building collapse at the airport
yorky

Post by yorky »

Yes it was a partial roof collapse that injured someone I believe.
"VKI, NJ050 will you be attending the job?"
"Negative VKI, my desk is bolted to the floor".
WARSUG General Scanning Moderator
BFB LT1
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by BFB LT1 »

correct one person injured from a cieling tile falling down appliances that turn out were:

Welshpool 1st
Welshpool 2nd
Kensington
Belmont
Perth 2nd
Perth 3rd
Bassenden
Belmont ICV
DM Newburn
DM Metro
RD Metro Central

Perth 3rd stood down
Bassendean redirected to another call
Perth 2nd stuck at east pde
Crippled
Infernal
Scanners and Receivers: Uniden UBC60XLT

Post by Infernal »

Not to mention the 3 or so Aviation Fire fighters that i saw on the news turn out, airside, thats alot of appliances, too bad the bloody joke of a terminal didnt all come crashing down
SmashedXR6T

Post by SmashedXR6T »

Not being critical... but seriously does the bush fire know how not to talk over each other over the radio... you had appliance talking this arvo and all of a sudden someone comes over top, don't people know how too wait for there turn and actually listen til the airwaves clear up before you send your transmission! Cos comms was very sloppy over the 6IP network this arvo
auntys_eyes

Re: Major structure fires (3rd alarm and above) 2008/2009

Post by auntys_eyes »

Turbo wrote:2nd alarm structure fire - 80 Sayer St, Midland.
OMFG... I lived in that house up until 3 years ago.
Fastlane
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster
Amateur callsign: VK6FLMZ

Re: Major structure fires (3rd alarm and above) 2008/2009

Post by Fastlane »

auntys_eyes wrote:
Turbo wrote:2nd alarm structure fire - 80 Sayer St, Midland.
OMFG... I lived in that house up until 3 years ago.
Oh My Frilly Goanna ? ... tsk ;)