General fire discussions

WA Department of Fire and Emergency Services (6AR and 6IP) (Including the Fire Services, SES & VMRS) and Department of Biodiversity, Conservation and Attractions

Moderator: bogged

rambler318

Re: General fire discussions

Post by rambler318 »

philby wrote:
realfirie wrote:
but enough of this CFRS/VFRS stuff. We all do the same job. Vollies are just more dedicated, since they dont it for free
Hey philby thats the way i use to think until someone said to me "Volllies only do it cause they lack the abilities to be able to do it professionally". So i guess it goes both ways
I agree with you realfirie.
its about time vollies get the same level of training as you "professionals"
Like the set up Army reservist have. do the 3 month training. then and only then will we all be equal.
The Army reservist do not get any where near the same training as Regular soldiers. I suggest you only quote on what you know is fact.
ace of spades

Post by ace of spades »

The fact remains that there seems to be alot of hostility and jealousy directed at the 'proffessionals' than what is directed towards the Vollies. The (some-not all) vollies seem to love having a bit power and enjoy having a dig at the paid guys.

Back stab them as you will first, but how many vollies put there aplications in every year to join the Career FRS. Lots and then when they are not good enough turn around, cry and have a dig at the guys who actually do it for a living.

I do agree that vollie training must improve but don't take it out on the guys who get proper training, those who do deep down want to be a permie
realfirie
Banned

Post by realfirie »

:smt041 :smt041 :smt041 :smt041 :smt041 :smt041 :smt041 :smt041 :smt041
meg
Amateur callsign: VK6LUX
Scanners and Receivers: Yaesu: FT990, FT857, FT7800, VX7R. Icom: ID800H. Old RS scanner.

Post by meg »

Can we call it a day on this squabbling please people??? I've had enough and any further flames or flame-bait on the vol vs career thing will be personally binned by me.

WARSUG FESA and Scanning Special Events moderator
B37fire

Post by B37fire »

I have been a vol for 16 years and to be honest I don't have an issue between vol and career. Sure career guys training is over and above that of vols and to be honest so it should be, however adequate training of vol's is equally important. In saying that experience is more often than not worth more than what you can get in a two day course.

I am not bothered who stands beside me on the fire ground as we are all there for the same reason and thats to get the job done safely and efficiently.

Unfortunatly there will always be members of both sides with a them verses us attitude but fortunatly there are those on both sides that are more than happy to work for and with each other.

it's not a perfect world but I can say it is a hell of a lot better than it was when i first joined 16 years ago.

Lets work together as each has a role whether career or vol.
dlcat1
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by dlcat1 »

=D> Absolutely. B37.

Come the big one we are all on the same team, whether we're paid, volunteer, DEC or industry. My experience over east was that working side by side with paid, retained or vollie crews from NSWFB, NSWRFS, NPWS, SF, and occasionally CFA, CFS, QFRS (never at a fire with anyone else to my knowledge) we all had great respect for each other and what we could do together. In particular I felt the great complementarity that each service can bring to a fire. No service could be seen as "backing another up". Rather they where all experts in what they could bring to the situation.

It wasn't always this way but it improved a heck of a lot in the years I was there.
treeny
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by treeny »

As stated by a member a few weeks ago, i think its about time we gave the red truck 'v' white truck argument a rest. We are all in the emergency services together, so we should act like a team instead of getting at each others throats
MELVILLE 80
The worst in nature brings out the best in us! STATE EMERGENCY SERVICE WE SERVE
meg
Amateur callsign: VK6LUX
Scanners and Receivers: Yaesu: FT990, FT857, FT7800, VX7R. Icom: ID800H. Old RS scanner.

Post by meg »

Once again everyone - no more flames or flame bait or short lectures on semantics (puhlease!). Anything further will be binned like the last post here just was.

WARSUG FESA and Scanning Special Events moderator
Smithy
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Smithy »

i also heard UCL or ULC t/out to bertram. any one know what it is and what they do?
dlcat1
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by dlcat1 »

Smithy wrote:i also heard UCL or ULC t/out to bertram. any one know what it is and what they do?

Just a guess but "U" community Liason? or utility company liason?
Fastlane
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster
Amateur callsign: VK6FLMZ

Post by Fastlane »

dlcat1 wrote:
Smithy wrote:i also heard UCL or ULC t/out to bertram. any one know what it is and what they do?

UCL. Unallocated Crown Land.
dlcat1
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by dlcat1 »

Fastlane wrote:
dlcat1 wrote:

UCL. Unallocated Crown Land.
Thanks Fastlane,

So why do they turnout? Jurisdiction maybe?
wasaint
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by wasaint »

UCL Manager is a new posisition with FESA the UCL Manager is also an on call manager for fires the same as DM Hills or DM northcoastal it all depends as to who is rosterd on as to who turns out.
Hope this helps dlcat1
gkoutlis

Post by gkoutlis »

Pretty sure I noticed Chrisss today at Kwinana Motorplex approx 8pm - with Mandogalup? (spelling) - 2 x Light Tankers and I think the 2.4???

I may have even waved to him heading towards the Speedway track prior to Fireworks....

Gotta say you Mandogalup guys do an awesome job, musta been a busy day today....

G
George
WARSUG Moderator
VFRS Member

"I am not one who was born in the possession of knowledge. I am one who is fond of antiquity, and earnest in seeking it there." — Confucius

Any views expressed in the above post are my own and do not necessarily depict or reflect the views or opinions of DFES/FRS or VBFB.
chrissss

Post by chrissss »

gkoutlis wrote:Pretty sure I noticed Chrisss today at Kwinana Motorplex approx 8pm - with Mandogalup? (spelling) - 2 x Light Tankers and I think the 2.4???

I may have even waved to him heading towards the Speedway track prior to Fireworks....

Gotta say you Mandogalup guys do an awesome job, musta been a busy day today....

G
guilty as charged :lol:

also saw smithy ther in his civvys

and its a 3.4 lol, get that all the time.

thanks for the wave back 8)

i didnt stop from 1030 onwards.