General fire discussions

WA Department of Fire and Emergency Services (6AR and 6IP) (Including the Fire Services, SES & VMRS) and Department of Biodiversity, Conservation and Attractions

Moderator: bogged

treeny
150+ posts
150+ posts

Re: General fire discussions

Post by treeny »

I've found some great photos and posted the link to the site in the Pictures thread. Lots of fire service related pics

Enjoy :D
MELVILLE 80
The worst in nature brings out the best in us! STATE EMERGENCY SERVICE WE SERVE
realfirie
Banned

Post by realfirie »

Have a read of this http://www.watoday.com.au/national/cfa- ... ml?page=-1

Sounds very similar to some of the areas on the out skirts of the metro area over here.
Smithy
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Smithy »

realfirie wrote:Have a read of this http://www.watoday.com.au/national/cfa- ... ml?page=-1

Sounds very similar to some of the areas on the out skirts of the metro area over here.
why bring this up if you dont want to start an argument?
dlcat1
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by dlcat1 »

Smithy wrote:
realfirie wrote:Have a read of this http://www.watoday.com.au/national/cfa- ... ml?page=-1

I'm going to get in first and add my two cents.

Reading between the lines, sounds like some crews had to stay at station or next door to keep coverage "just in case" and weren't happy about it. Understandable but you just can't leave populated urban interface areas with skeleton coverage on extreme fire danger days and hope to get away with it for long.

Over east there were many occassions were we got put on standby or responded to a neighbouring area to cover for them and ended up sitting by while fires burnt. It hurts not to be doing something and is frustrating but what happens if we are all at the fire and something goes down on the other side of town?
realfirie
Banned

Post by realfirie »

hey it is not as though i wrote it. I thought it was a good read as it highlights major issues that appear to be not only confined to one state but to fire services all over australia. And i would also suggest thier union would not be fighting the issue if it was false..........
Smithy
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Smithy »

i didnt mean the article itself. thats all good. just the other bit. just sounded like you wanted to bring up the red truck vs white truck argument. But hey if you know of situations like that then no worries and yes it does need to be addressed with the appropriate people/organisations
Last edited by Smithy on Sat Feb 21, 2009 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
meg
Amateur callsign: VK6LUX
Scanners and Receivers: Yaesu: FT990, FT857, FT7800, VX7R. Icom: ID800H. Old RS scanner.

Post by meg »

Please all you - by all means "discuss" but don't argue and don't provoke people to argue :wink:

WARSUG FESA and Scanning Special Events moderator
Fastlane
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster
Amateur callsign: VK6FLMZ

Post by Fastlane »

And on the flipside, http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009 ... 497056.htm
realfirie
Banned

Post by realfirie »

I think we all know there would be a big difference between what is the real truth and what the head pen pusher from each department reports as the truth. The only thing they will be doing is trying to cover there arses. Plus i think there union would have better things to do than go into fight for 200 plus firies who must be telling lies if that report were true.
WPXZBP

Post by WPXZBP »

Let the Royal Commission look into it. We can make more informed comment after they have their say.
written_ficton
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

General fire discussions

Post by written_ficton »

Mug wrote:
MBFB wrote:structure fire alan dale square

perth 1st, perth 2nd, perth 3, osborne park set, perth clp, daglish 1st north metro regional director, dm metro and belmont icv turning out
smoke filling up on 3rd level
Downgrade 2nd alarm
Perth 1 and 2 remaining, everyone else returned.
Smoke filled 14th floor , confident it is a air conditioning motor.
First time I have seen the ICV under firecall conditions.... made an interesting sight..... I think the motorists were like what the.... is that then moved out the way

Not a very fast vechile, definate need of a new rig!
treeny
150+ posts
150+ posts

Re: Major structure fires (3rd alarm and above) 2008/2009

Post by treeny »

id b a bit surprised to see a bus behind me with bells and whistles on :P
Zebedee
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6DB

Post by Zebedee »

As it happened, a mate and I were going along St Georges Terrace at the time when all this was happening, the first pumper was already there, the second pumper and light tanker were just arriving...

But we had places to be, so didn't hang around to find out what was going on :P
bigmancallum

Post by bigmancallum »

Was also interesting to see DM Metro flogging it the wrong way down St Georges Terrace against traffic...

ICV got a few weird looks from bystanders and was there for all of 5 minutes before CLP and rest got returned.

Both sides of St Georges Terrace were blocked off for quite some time even after the bulk of the vehicles were returned too.
written_ficton
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by written_ficton »

Pity.... no saying its a good thing could it not happen on a weekday so I could take photo's?