General fire discussions

WA Department of Fire and Emergency Services (6AR and 6IP) (Including the Fire Services, SES & VMRS) and Department of Biodiversity, Conservation and Attractions

Moderator: bogged

observer
150+ posts
150+ posts

Re: Significant bush/scrub fires 2008/2009

Post by observer »

Possibly a truck fire, and only a couple 100 metres down from another decent size scrub fire, started by a burning car about 2 weeks ago.
BFB LT1
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by BFB LT1 »

anyone know exactly how yesterdays fire in secret harbour started herd comments of arrson and a truck fire any confirmed reports?????
illusion

Post by illusion »

looking at where that one started there has been a bus parked down the front of a property with for sale on it and the drivers window was open for the last couple of weeks bus not there today when drove past
dreynolds

Re: General fire discussions

Post by dreynolds »

I find it halarious how vollies are described as "Volunteer hose wielders" in say above article

that is all
Fastlane
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster
Amateur callsign: VK6FLMZ

Post by Fastlane »

dreynolds wrote:I find it halarious how vollies are described as "Volunteer hose wielders" in say above article

that is all
like water off a ducks back..
ricco1298

Post by ricco1298 »

The story of a scania sucking in embers and catching alight in the engine is a genuine one.
I dont know about over here, but about 5 years ago, a new scania in service with the Metro Fire Service in SA had some embers into the air cleaner and had to carted off on a tilt tray truck.
It was sitting on a roadside at a scrub fire in SA.

Cheers
dlcat1
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by dlcat1 »

ricco1298 wrote:The story of a scania sucking in embers and catching alight in the engine is a genuine one.
I dont know about over here, but about 5 years ago, a new scania in service with the Metro Fire Service in SA had some embers into the air cleaner and had to carted off on a tilt tray truck.
It was sitting on a roadside at a scrub fire in SA.

Cheers
During the Canberra firestorm a late model scania pumper failed completely and burnt. Later investigations indicated that the engine (and hence pto pump and way of moving out) failed due to insufficient oxygen levels combined with extreme heat and carbon ingestion (It was so black that day I'm not suprised). You might've seen this on "In the line of Fire" which was the biggest case of how to stretch limited footage into a tv series I've ever seen.

There was also a report that NSW RFS trucks running a GAAM 3 cylinder diesel pump and a high pressure sprinkler cab spray system could, in the right conditions have the pump choking on ingested water mist. The pump intake was modified with a big guard to stop this.

The truck I mentioned ingesting embers was a recent model Isuzu.
philby
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by philby »

canning vale 2.4 has gone down with a broken fan belt and a cracked cooling system #-o
gkoutlis

Post by gkoutlis »

philby wrote:canning vale 2.4 has gone down with a broken fan belt and a cracked cooling system #-o
Sounds quite serious actually - as Tech had just left O'Connor on his way to repair Duncraig LT - so after abit of chatter, he decided to go back and deliver a replacement 2.4 to the fireground for Canningvale - then head to Duncraig...
G
George
WARSUG Moderator
VFRS Member

"I am not one who was born in the possession of knowledge. I am one who is fond of antiquity, and earnest in seeking it there." — Confucius

Any views expressed in the above post are my own and do not necessarily depict or reflect the views or opinions of DFES/FRS or VBFB.
meg
Amateur callsign: VK6LUX
Scanners and Receivers: Yaesu: FT990, FT857, FT7800, VX7R. Icom: ID800H. Old RS scanner.

Post by meg »

Police have released this photo of a person wanted for questioning in relation to the Kings Park fire in January
http://www.thewest.com.au/default.aspx? ... tID=123455

In case anyone recognises the person!

WARSUG FESA and Scanning Special Events moderator
dlcat1
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by dlcat1 »

Fire on the coalfields hwy between Collie and SW Hwy today, DEC running the job. DEC loader and dozer, multiple gang trucks and HDs, BFS and forest industry brigades + bombers.

Ignition was forestry machine rollover, no serious injuries.

No point putting it in incidents as its all over now.

Does anyone else wonder why DEC only gets orange and red yet they get there first and leave last, even on private land?
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by newbie »

they are about to get red and blues, for a while now it has been an overall preference to stay with orange and red as its an old forestry connection and realisticly it didn't really bother anyone what colours the lights were.
philby
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by philby »

Armadale first nightshift just changed over. thats a long shift.

west gidge 2.4 called in and is relocating to captains private address
for the next two days. must be expecting trouble.
philby
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by philby »

Manduarh 1st just turned out and requested police as a serial arsonist is lighting fires in the area.
:x
Tyranus
Amateur callsign: VK6FWDH
Scanners and Receivers: UBC93XLT

Post by Tyranus »

Pager just went off.
Tree fire in Koongamia, Midland drove past school en route and noticed fires in the school.
Midland gained access and are working on 2 separate fires with the pump, the LT proceeded to the tree fire.
Darlington made contact with Midland at the school and have been stood down. All 3 fires were first alarm and dealt with by Midland.

*Pager interrupted movie watching in a convenient spot, was only the reminder beep that alerted me :oops: * :lol:

Edit: N.B I'm not operational at the moment due to a course which is why I could ignore the pager tonight.
Stirling SES
Team Leader (Stirling 53)
Vertical Rescue Team Member
K9 7 Support

VK6FWDH
ex-Darlington FB
WARSUG Demi-God I mean Mod
If stupidity got me into this mess, why can't it get me out.