General fire discussions

WA Department of Fire and Emergency Services (6AR and 6IP) (Including the Fire Services, SES & VMRS) and Department of Biodiversity, Conservation and Attractions

Moderator: bogged

Live

Re: Significant bush fires 2012/13

Post by Live »

[quote="Kingy"]Who updates the Fesa websites information?
It would be very helpful if they were a bit more timely. At Margs last year, their "emergency" information was nearly 24 hours out of date. I notice that it hasn't improved much. They should be listening to you guys instead. I do, and it is *very* helpful.[/quote]

Margs was a DEC managed incident, therefore media releases were done by DEC and rereleased by DFES. The MLO is in contact with the IC direct and coordinates what information is to go back to Media and Public Affairs.
Arrived4-4

Re: Significant bush fires 2012/13

Post by Arrived4-4 »

[quote="Kingy"]Who updates the Fesa websites information?
It would be very helpful if they were a bit more timely. At Margs last year, their "emergency" information was nearly 24 hours out of date. I notice that it hasn't improved much. They should be listening to you guys instead. I do, and it is *very* helpful.[/quote]
I believe forum rules state this is not to discus incidents please use General Discussions
gkoutlis

Re: General fire discussions

Post by gkoutlis »

A gentle reminder

---------- MOD/ADMIN REMINDER ----------

This thread is for general discussions about fires. It is NOT for complaining about DFES/FESA management decisions, or engaging in any kind of "us vs them" attacks between career and volunteer fire fighters. Such topics are not welcome on WARSUG - not in this thread, or any other.

If you don't agree with a decision that someone in DFES/FESA has made, or you're narky about why some other mob were turned out and you weren't, please address that within your brigade hierarchy, not on here. Posts along these lines that are deemed to be unacceptable will be removed by the moderation team.

G
George
WARSUG Moderator
VFRS Member

"I am not one who was born in the possession of knowledge. I am one who is fond of antiquity, and earnest in seeking it there." — Confucius

Any views expressed in the above post are my own and do not necessarily depict or reflect the views or opinions of DFES/FRS or VBFB.
kyeboi
150+ posts
150+ posts
Scanners and Receivers: UNIDEN UBC355XLT

Post by kyeboi »

hotworks and vehicle movement BAN for the entire city of wanneroo, swan and mundering from 1200hrs 25/1/2013 till 1800hrs 28/1/2013
KyeBoi

Yanchep VFRS
dlcat1
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by dlcat1 »

gkoutlis wrote:
csu-ses wrote:The fire was managed by dfes as of 30 mins ago. There were lots of dec appliances arriving when we left
Cheers CSU :)

G
Back when I was working over in the SW it was common for us to turn up to a fire (plantation brigade) and find it run by DEC and the local BFS just turning up or outnumbered 5 to 1 by DEC particularly if it was more than a few kms from town. I think it makes sense as DEC were out doing whatever they do on their trucks while the BFS members would be working in town or on the farm and would take time to get there. DEC would always try to hand the fire back to us or the local BFS/DFES as soon as they got there unless it was on their land or looked like it was heading that way. I think their plan was to send trucks, start fighting and work out who ran it later. I don't know how things have changed but hope this might help explain why DEC might have been running the Boddington fire to start.

Way way off topic but there have been some huge fire runs over east this year. 35000ha overnight in a few places. Crazy.
SgtSeedy
Scanners and Receivers: 6AR
6IP
Ch11 (DEC)

Post by SgtSeedy »

Rockingham 2nd LT needs to settle down on 6AR..... possibly lack of experience shining through here...
Helitak_670
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by Helitak_670 »

Or someone who is not usually under the pump so much or put in that situation.
SgtSeedy
Scanners and Receivers: 6AR
6IP
Ch11 (DEC)

Post by SgtSeedy »

Helitak_670 wrote:Or someone who is not usually under the pump so much or put in that situation.
good point...
whodini
Scanners and Receivers: Wouxun KG-UVD1P Dual Band UHF & VHF High Band

Post by whodini »

What is a "section 13"? As ones was just declared at glen Forrest....
-whodini
Darlington BFB Member
Helitak_670
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by Helitak_670 »

Section 13, which if you have access to the DFES portal you can see the level declarations. Basically the Section 13 gives the control of an incident from the local government to DFES IMT team and where the MROC is activated.
lytec

Post by lytec »

Jandakot and bedfordale turning out to forrestdale

668 and 669 also.

and the big one.
Nafenn

Post by Nafenn »

lytec wrote:Jandakot and bedfordale turning out to forrestdale

668 and 669 also.

and the big one.
I was flying at jandakot when the bombers started going out, was a decent plume of smoke and caught very quickly.
Nathan Fenn
WARSUG Aviation Band & Reviews Moderator

Anything I say is my opinion, and has nothing to do with/does not reflect the views of anyone I was/am/will be involved with/employed by/volunteer for/associated with. There, I think that should cover it!
observer
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by observer »

whodini wrote:What is a "section 13"? As ones was just declared at glen Forrest....
It is Section 13 of the Bushfire Act 1954 http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/wa/c ... 9/s13.html. Basically it outlines how DFES can take control of a fire from local Government or CALM.
whodini
Scanners and Receivers: Wouxun KG-UVD1P Dual Band UHF & VHF High Band

Post by whodini »

Thanks helitak and observer for the info.. Another section 13 issued for Avon valley fire
-whodini
Darlington BFB Member
kyeboi
150+ posts
150+ posts
Scanners and Receivers: UNIDEN UBC355XLT

Post by kyeboi »

just a quick question!!

my missus seen butler turning out today which is not unusual apart from there were 3 LTs behind the pump! anyone know why?

kyeboi
KyeBoi

Yanchep VFRS