General fire discussions

WA Department of Fire and Emergency Services (6AR and 6IP) (Including the Fire Services, SES & VMRS) and Department of Biodiversity, Conservation and Attractions

Moderator: bogged

xr8edute

Re: General fire discussions

Post by xr8edute »

Be interesting to see who gets our former LT and weather its used as a high season LT or used as a replacement for another station. If anyone sees it maybe post a picture up of its new life. LT308
Proud Member of Wagin VFRS & Wagin Town BFS
kyeboi
150+ posts
150+ posts
Scanners and Receivers: UNIDEN UBC355XLT

Post by kyeboi »

we got glen forrest LT
KyeBoi

Yanchep VFRS
Stewy23

Post by Stewy23 »

Anyone no why there were alot of sirens in kelmscott last night around 8.00
meg
Amateur callsign: VK6LUX
Scanners and Receivers: Yaesu: FT990, FT857, FT7800, VX7R. Icom: ID800H. Old RS scanner.

Post by meg »

Stewy23 wrote:Anyone no why there were alot of sirens in kelmscott last night around 8.00
A few fires last night - one was in Kelmscott (which was probably why you heard the sirens)
http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/-/ne ... d-by-fire/

WARSUG FESA and Scanning Special Events moderator
Sandmann

Re: Other incidents/minor fires etc - 2012/2013

Post by Sandmann »

Expect more 3 pump turnouts for confirmed structure fires . We got told the other night its one of the new commish's new rules . Minimum of 3 pumps per confirmed structure . Gonna get busy real soon for a lot of stations
Helitak_670
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by Helitak_670 »

Going to take a {REMOVED} of resources out of action. Just put more people in the truck. ie LT crew size 2, Pump Crew size 6 =8 not the 6 or 4 that there is now.

EDIT: Language :)
ace of spades

Post by ace of spades »

Sandmann wrote:Expect more 3 pump turnouts for confirmed structure fires . We got told the other night its one of the new commish's new rules . Minimum of 3 pumps per confirmed structure . Gonna get busy real soon for a lot of stations
That has been in for Perm land for nearly a year now and have seen it outside the metro district for a while now too. It came about the new PPE and how hot they are and the need to rotate crews at jobs. All about FF's safety at a job
jezza

Post by jezza »

So it's more about crew rather than equipment? Like Helitak said, fill the pumps and LTs with FFs - stack them 6 to a pump like we vollies do sometimes!
Helitak_670
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by Helitak_670 »

The NSWFB are also having issues with their new PPE. It is all to do with the new Australian/NZ standard of PPE. Basically some office jockey who has no real fire experience is making these decisions on what we wear. All I can say is I am glad I still have the old PPE2 and it has not failed me yet.
observer
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by observer »

It isn't as simple as saying "put more staff on the trucks". Where are the staff going to come from? Considering that budget cuts are going to take effect, and there is talk that recruiting may be one casualty, the so called simple solution isn't so easy. Saying that there may be a case in the future for extra f/f due to extra resources been mobilised to these events. But as always it will come down to money.

In regards to to the old PPE not failing yet, tell that to the f/f in Melbourne who suffered significant burns in a flashover, wearing old PPE. The new PPE would have have protected him. Just because your PPE hasn't failed you yet doesn't mean that it will protect you in the worst case scenario. I know the new PPE is hot, but I would rather that, and manage the extra fatigue, for the extra protection that it offers me for the event that the worst case scenario that may happen.

Also the decision to go with the new PPE hasn't come from an office jockey with no real fire fighting experience. That statement is a kick in the guts to all f/f who have spent plenty of time investigating and evaluating different types of PPE. The selction of PPE was undertaken in consultation with FESA management and the UFU. There was a very large and influential input into the selection from current operational ff. I highly doubt these people are office jockeys with no real fire experience.
ironbark

Post by ironbark »

Please correct me if I am wrong but NSW Fire and Rescue will turn out 2 pumps to a structure fire and if it's confirmed as a 2nd alarm will mobilise another 2 pumps plus an aerial! A 3rd Alarm property is classified as 6 pumps, 2 aerials, SET with the local inspector. But before you get too excited about this, the Perth Metro area is roughly 5300km2 and has 24 Fire Stations. Sydney is roughly 12,000km2 with over 130 stations so they 'can' afford to send the extra resources, in actual fact, the government is trying to close down stations to save costs!

The guys in the West are definately the best... !
Helitak_670
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by Helitak_670 »

Well I shall re phrase what I intended.

I am aware that there was Perm fire fighters (and UWA) that were involved in selecting the PPE. I can not imagine with the backlash that we have now that they were the ones to select the current issue (final decision). I dare say that some person behind the desk got their numbers and made a decision which is now causing heat stress. When you think about a structure fire in the city there is no drama, but what about in the country when you nearest back up is 1hr or more away. Also you can not compare our PPE to that in use over in the east. You may be hotter but it also gives you more of a false sense of security wearing it knowing it can withstand more. Just like the old BA sets with the time remaining to the ones now with just the gauge.

As for the Melbourne fire fighter we are all trained for situations like flash overs etc and we should not put ourselves in that position (easy to say I know). Just like people putting themselves into the dead man zone (Latest DEC incident). Smarter fire fighting and less injuries and use what we know not to put ourselves into situations we may not be able to get out of. I will never risk my crew, or if I am running an incident other fire fighters to put the fire out. House fire I will let it burn down, bush fire lets go to plan b. I really would not like to have someone die on my watch due to my miss calculation or someone doing something stupid on the fire ground because I had put pressure on them too.
pacestick
150+ posts
150+ posts
Scanners and Receivers: Pro handheld scanner
Bearcat scanner
Wuoxun

Post by pacestick »

Any info on the burnt FF from Saturday?
Volunteer BFS.
VK6FIRE
Geoff

Post by Geoff »

pacestick wrote:Any info on the burnt FF from Saturday?
Hi Pacestick, this article was posted online today by The West:
http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/-/breaking/15411444/inquiry-after-firefighter-burnt/ wrote:The City of Cockburn and FESA are investigating a prescribed burn in Banjup that got out of control and left a volunteer with burns to his face and body.

Cockburn mayor Logan Howlett said the Jandakot Bushfire Brigade had been carrying out an authorised burn on a private property when the volunteer was injured about 12.30pm on Saturday.

He was airlifted to Royal Perth Hospital and was in a stable condition yesterday. Two other volunteers received minor burns.

Geoff.
pacestick
150+ posts
150+ posts
Scanners and Receivers: Pro handheld scanner
Bearcat scanner
Wuoxun

Post by pacestick »

Volunteer BFS.
VK6FIRE