Turnout discussion

WA Department of Fire and Emergency Services (6AR and 6IP) (Including the Fire Services, SES & VMRS) and Department of Biodiversity, Conservation and Attractions

Moderator: bogged

donks
150+ posts
150+ posts

Turnout discussion

Post by donks »

gkoutlis wrote:Yeah at today's DBA - there wern't people being hurried out of the Carillion - DBA's thankfully alot of them turn out to be false alarms, or faulty wiring etc...

G
Can I ask what a DBA is?? cheers

:)
People call me an "Egotistic Jackass"... I prefer the term "Confident Donkey" --->Donks for short
WPXZBP

Re: Other minor fires/incidents etc - 2008/2009

Post by WPXZBP »

Direct to Brigade Alarm - basically a number of places in the city and country towns have a fire alarm system which contacts the FESA Communications Centre when it is activated. FRS will turn out in response.
gkoutlis

Post by gkoutlis »

Does anyone know, if Perth 1st, 2nd and 3rd were off-line yesterday?

I find it odd that none of the 3 could attend a DBA in the city, haven't heard them respond to any callouts... But great to see Kensington and Osborne Park though..

G
George
WARSUG Moderator
VFRS Member

"I am not one who was born in the possession of knowledge. I am one who is fond of antiquity, and earnest in seeking it there." — Confucius

Any views expressed in the above post are my own and do not necessarily depict or reflect the views or opinions of DFES/FRS or VBFB.
gkoutlis

Post by gkoutlis »

yorky wrote:Perth 1st and 2nd turning out this morning to a DBA so whatever it was they are back now :wink:
Yep - I saw them too - :D The building is directly opposite where I work.

I noted Perth 1st turning up Emergency Road Conditions, Perth 2nd was normal road. Were there for approx 10-15mins...

G
George
WARSUG Moderator
VFRS Member

"I am not one who was born in the possession of knowledge. I am one who is fond of antiquity, and earnest in seeking it there." — Confucius

Any views expressed in the above post are my own and do not necessarily depict or reflect the views or opinions of DFES/FRS or VBFB.
written_ficton
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by written_ficton »

gkoutlis wrote:
yorky wrote:Perth 1st and 2nd turning out this morning to a DBA so whatever it was they are back now :wink:
Yep - I saw them too - :D The building is directly opposite where I work.

I noted Perth 1st turning up Emergency Road Conditions, Perth 2nd was normal road. Were there for approx 10-15mins...

G
I am seeing this often in the city, when the appliances leave the station one is under firecall conditions the other one goes normal.... Interesting to note, why doesnt both go under firecall?
I've closed the door!
gkoutlis

Post by gkoutlis »

Well I am led to beleive - if it's not a "confirmed" fire - yet a DBA alarm is still showing active, it makes sense to send only one appliance Emergency Road conditions, and have the other coming normal for backup "IF required".

Alot of the times WF - we'll hear - "6AR Perth 1st we've arrived code 4 - 4 no back up required" - "Thankyou Perth 1st out to you Perth 2nd" etc etc you get my gist.
G
George
WARSUG Moderator
VFRS Member

written_ficton
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by written_ficton »

gkoutlis wrote:Well I am led to beleive - if it's not a "confirmed" fire - yet a DBA alarm is still showing active, it makes sense to send only one appliance Emergency Road conditions, and have the other coming normal for backup "IF required".

Alot of the times WF - we'll hear - "6AR Perth 1st we've arrived code 4 - 4 no back up required" - "Thankyou Perth 1st out to you Perth 2nd" etc etc you get my gist.
G
Then.... we could expand to say why send out an appliance if its only going to go normal road conditions and the liklyhood of being required is virtually nil?

Why dont they await a call from the first responding appliances if / when additional appliances are needed?
I've closed the door!
yorky

Post by yorky »

By the time the backup crew arrives, the first crew would have started to investigate and check and/or completed checks, hence there is no need to risk the second crew having a mishap under fire call (which happens all too often).
"VKI, NJ050 will you be attending the job?"
"Negative VKI, my desk is bolted to the floor".
WARSUG General Scanning Moderator
gkoutlis

Post by gkoutlis »

Not a hunderd pecent sure WF - I guess it's good practice??? - More often than not, the second unit, doesn't get very far from the station and return to station.

But, I'm guessing, with the number of people in these office buildings in the city, its never a bad thing to have 2 units respond. No doubt this is a FESA policy, but I am no firie.

G
George
WARSUG Moderator
VFRS Member

written_ficton
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by written_ficton »

I'm not bothered at the end of the day they are firies....

But... considering that there is talk on the run down state of some appliances in the metro area I would have thought it would have been easier for the 2nd appliances to stay at the station untill called?

Its not like its going to take 10 - 15mins to get to the incident in Perth, 2 - 3minutes under fire call would be sufficient I would have thought?

But heck.... what would I know?
I've closed the door!
Fastlane
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster
Amateur callsign: VK6FLMZ

Post by Fastlane »

written_ficton wrote:I'm not bothered at the end of the day they are firies....

But... considering that there is talk on the run down state of some appliances in the metro area I would have thought it would have been easier for the 2nd appliances to stay at the station untill called?

Its not like its going to take 10 - 15mins to get to the incident in Perth, 2 - 3minutes under fire call would be sufficient I would have thought?

But heck.... what would I know?
Exactly :)

All structure fire calls or alarm calls have a 2 station turnout, with the 2nd crew travelling 'normal rd' unless there is a confirmed fire. Rule of thumb for any fire - its easier (and quicker) to send trucks back than want them in a hurry.. (more is better!)
chrissss

Re: Turnout discussion

Post by chrissss »

DBA?

One brigade goes firecall the backup goes normal road, if premises calls it as false alarm the initail proceeds normal road and the backup returns to station,if it is a actual fire then the backup will proceed firecall.

I think its because most DBAs are in either high rise, buildings with lots of people eg hospital, aged care etc or industrial, so a two pump turnout would be justified in case there was an actual incident they would already have a couple of vehicles en route.

hope this helps
chrissss

Post by chrissss »

lol..as fastlane said.
Smithy
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Smithy »

where as a structure call in Rockingham will see a 2 brigade (Rockingham and hope valley) 3 pump turn out all under firecall until the first appliance arrives and says either yay keep coming or neigh go home.
written_ficton
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by written_ficton »

While I can understand one appliance stations like Rockingham [MP & LT] but for Perth where several appliances are located and such close proximity - that is the question I am asking

Thought aint nothing wrong with sending several appliances at once....
I've closed the door!