FRS and Bushfires

WA Department of Fire and Emergency Services (6AR and 6IP) (Including the Fire Services, SES & VMRS) and Department of Biodiversity, Conservation and Attractions

Moderator: bogged

Should FRS brigades go first up (ie they attend to bushfires first) to bushfires?

Yes, wether its in a local bushfire brigade's area or not
9%
Only if the fire is not in a local bushfire brigade's area or if that brigade is unavailable
22%
No, bushfire brigades should go to bushfires, not FRS
9%
No, they should go 2nd up (ie as back up) to the local bushfire brigade to bushfires
61%

Total votes: 23

JG-103

FRS and Bushfires

Post by JG-103 »

Im wondering what people think about FRS going to bushfires.

I voted: No, they should go 2nd up (ie as back up) to the local bushfire brigade to bushfires

This is because i believe that Red trucks are for House fires rescues etc and that the White/Yellow trucks are for bushfires. If the FRS actually had vehicles capable of going into the bush then it would be different, however, they only have the light tanker. U go to these FRS 3rd alarm fires and u hav half a dozen Scanniers on the side of the road doing nothing. What also concerns me is that when my local FRS brigade goes to a scrub fire and calls a 2nd alarm, the vol FRS go to it. That leaves no FRS to attend a house fire or what have u. Instead they have to get an FRS brigade from another suburb (and it has happened). So know ur waiting 8 minutes or so for this other brigade to come put out ur house (which could be half gutted in that time) instead or 3 or less minutes if the local brigade had come. Thats why i believe that they should go second up, cause then they can be stood down at anytime and because most bushfire brigades have 4 or more vehicles specificly designed for bushfires are attending a 1st alarm instead of a 2nd or 3rd alarm for an FRS brigade.

Well thats my opinion anyway, so what is urs???
Fastlane
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster
Amateur callsign: VK6FLMZ

Post by Fastlane »

Unfortunately whilst what you say sounds like a good idea, there isnt much scope legally for it until the relevant acts are amended. Bush Fire Brigade officers and members do not have any powers in a FRS area unless they are acting under the instruction of an FRS officer (and yes, it works the other way too!). Hopefully all of this is looked at during the legislation review which is happening now.

I guess the other big thing now seeing people are paying the ESL, is that those in a Category 1 or 4 area expect a red truck to show up regardless of what the fire is, as that is what they are paying for. Not saying bushfire vols cant do the job (far from it!), just when some people pay for X they expect to get X, not Y.

Alot of brigades are slowly getting their areas gobbled up by career crews - which was always going to happen and has to be expected as the population, housing and risks increase. Many of those brigades still get a run though, as they have agreements in place with FESA - places like Darlington and South Coogee still get turned out with career crews to bush fires even though I believe neither have an area of their own anymore?
JG-103

Post by JG-103 »

Yep, but see thats not the case with us and there is talks of algemation. Doesnt the ESL fund the bushfire brigades too?!?!?
Fastlane
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by Fastlane »

Perhaps it is something your brigade needs to push for? By Amalgamation, do you mean with another brigade in your local govt?

And sure, the ESL pays for all of us, however, those living in a Category 1 ESL area pay more because they have a 'Career Fire & Rescue' service being provided.

Politics is a wonderful thing.... not
JG-103

Post by JG-103 »

If my brigade doesnt push for it i know i will be. I hate the FRS designated area act. Heard talks of algemation between two brigades in close proxim to us. Forgotten his name, but some guy from FESA is coming to our meetin tonight (presuming to talk about the FRS act thing) and hopefully many a question will be answered. He was at the bushfire games 2005 in all the photos with the placing teams.
JG-103

Post by JG-103 »

found some info on the ESL and where the money is going

http://www.fesa.wa.gov.au/internet/defa ... MenuID=185

one suprising fact : supports approx 720 volunteer brigades!!!
JG-103

Post by JG-103 »

another one here, generall overview of 2004-2005

http://www.fesa.wa.gov.au/internet/uplo ... lights.pdf

says exactly what the esl was spent on last year and interesting info on the fire season

one interesting fact is that the helitacs dropped 3.25 million litres of water, 6745L of foam in a total of 3113 drops :shock:
meg
Amateur callsign: VK6LUX
Scanners and Receivers: Yaesu: FT990, FT857, FT7800, VX7R. Icom: ID800H. Old RS scanner.

Re: FRS and Bushfires

Post by meg »

JG-103 wrote:This is because i believe that Red trucks are for House fires rescues etc and that the White/Yellow trucks are for bushfires.
:?: Our white truck goes to house (structural) fires - we're dual registered and carry BA gear etc.
WPXZBP

Post by WPXZBP »

Most of the BFS vehicles in our shire are ex-FRS light tankers and are still red.
dazla
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by dazla »

Rather than having two sepeate brigades as in the BFS and FRS why cant we have one Fire Serivce.

When there is a fire or incident FESA send the nearest brigade....sounds simple enough to me.
Per Ardua-Ad Astra
WPXZBP

Post by WPXZBP »

dazla wrote:Rather than having two sepeate brigades as in the BFS and FRS why cant we have one Fire Serivce.

When there is a fire or incident FESA send the nearest brigade....sounds simple enough to me.
The logistics of training and equipping a single fire service is prohibative at the moment. Some brigades such as Ballidu and Waroona have become Fire Service Brigades (ie FRS and BFS brigades have merged) This is much like the Emergency Service units (formerly known as FESA units). Gingin and Tammin are looking at merging to form FS Brigades.
Fastlane
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by Fastlane »

WPXZBP wrote:
dazla wrote:Rather than having two sepeate brigades as in the BFS and FRS why cant we have one Fire Serivce.

The logistics of training and equipping a single fire service is prohibative at the moment. Some brigades such as Ballidu and Waroona have become Fire Service Brigades (ie FRS and BFS brigades have merged) This is much like the Emergency Service units (formerly known as FESA units). Gingin and Tammin are looking at merging to form FS Brigades.
Another problem is that the acts still lay responsibility for fires outside of the 'gazetted fire district' with Local Government and CALM. FESA's role to those brigades is still as 'advisory' only - I suspect this will change in the near future though.
Fastlane
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Re: FRS and Bushfires

Post by Fastlane »

meg wrote:
JG-103 wrote:This is because i believe that Red trucks are for House fires rescues etc and that the White/Yellow trucks are for bushfires.
:?: Our white truck goes to house (structural) fires - we're dual registered and carry BA gear etc.
Good point - the term "Bush Fire Brigade" is a bit of a misnomer. This is probably why they got renamed to Rural Fire Service in NSW. The brigades are responsible for ALL fires, including structural fires in their areas - not just 'bush' fires. The term is meant to mean they are responsible for fires in the 'bush'..
WPXZBP

Post by WPXZBP »

Further to my post I know that FESA have developed a new appliance called a 2.4B (Broadacre) after requests from some brigades for a large water capacity appliance for broadacre fires with minimal "bells and whistles". With this in mind I am sure that many BFS brigades would not want to be hassled with learning about BA, structure fires, hazmat etc. Many BFS brigades consist of farmers who find it difficult to attend training sessions as they have their own work to do. Many BFS brigades (and some FRS brigades) have not got sufficient PPE for their members to attend incidents.

FESA have been pushing for a more "hands-on" role with bushfires since the Tenterden fire. They want to be able to take over at major incidents if asked to by the LGA. I know that Plantagenet (Mount Barker) was one LGA who was dead against it.
dazla
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by dazla »

Appreciate that, just thought it would be a better idea.

Never know what around the corner I guess, I was in Toodyay recently and noticed they have an Emergency Serivces Centre as you said. It was the FS, SES and SJA all in one building.

What a great idea, during operations they all work out of the same building. The Police also use it as a command post I was told also.

We may see this idea in the metro area soon, SES and FS multi-skilling.
Per Ardua-Ad Astra